1969 Daily Driver

-
Real curious to see to results of the summit carb!

So far the numbers look good for the MPG side of it and the power gain is way better for WOT. I have two tanks of fuel through it now and just filled up yesterday for this week. This will give three tanks without the 200-4r over-drive since that is going in starting the 19th of December. I have a you tube channel showing up while we do this to document the whole thing. I have a pile of parts and will take pics of EVERY part number and what it is for maybe this week sometime.

So the numbers are in 18.6mpg for the three tanks I put through it. So for the very limited amount of info I have before we start the 200-4r install the apples to apples comparison the milage is about the same. The biggest difference is the Holley 350 cfm is way better on the top end than the stock super six.

without sounding naive, way better on top end meaning, pulls harder? rapid responce?
thanks

without sounding naive, way better on top end meaning, pulls harder? rapid responce?
thanks

Sorry I was two cocktails in when I wrote that. Yes on top meaning that from mid rpm to the top 4,500rpm ish it pulls way harder and the AFR numbers are where they should be about 12.5-12.7 The super six carb I could get the AFR numbers bitchen for mileage while doing my daily driving but when I floored it the arfs were all over the place at different RPM's. I did/do not have a huge supply of jets and needles for that super six. The only things I had is what I could find was in wrecking yards on v8 2bbls engines. They were all way too much for the ol slant 6. Now someone who knows that stock super six carb could maybe get the numbers better than what I could get at WOT. But I knew that the stock super six was only a temporary setup anyways since I know Holley carbs IE "350-500cfm 2bbls, 4150's and 4500's carbs" very well, it was only a matter of time before the swap happened. I also have a EFI set up that will go on here at sometime but I am unsure if it will stay EFI because I like the stupid dumbness of a carb. Plus I like to watch the Valet attendant come over and say "Your Car wont start" then I get in and Vrooooooom it goes ha ha ha ha ha. Its the simple things in life I like.

Well it is in and it runs great. The 200 4r trans works like a dream behind that slant six. The set up is a 200 4r trans with a Hughes tow master converter part #GM21LTow with a 8 3/4 rearend with 3.23 gears and a 26.3 diameter tire. With the math I did before setting this all up I wanted 2,000 rpm in full lock up at 72-73mph. Math does not lie, it is right there dead on. I used the B&M lock up controller for dialing in the lock up at 50mph, works like a charm. I now have two weeks to drive it before the zip tie drags.

slant33.jpg

slant34.jpg

slant35.jpg

slant36.jpg

slant37.jpg

slant38.jpg

slant39.jpg

slant40.jpg

slant41.jpg

That is awesome, and it looks like you are still using the mechanical linkage.

Yes I want it to look as stock as possible on the inside "Minus the modern stereo that was installed in the car already" If you daily a Slant six at freeway speeds this is a must.

That's some nice work! What cross member did you use?

That's some nice work! What cross member did you use?

I made it with scrap metal I had laying around. I cant give out too much info since I had a Youtube channel at my house for 4 days while we did the swap. We also installed an 8 3/4 rearend that I had laying around. The gears NEED TO BE CHANGED because it whines badly that is why it is not on the road as of right now. Getting new 3.23 gears for a 742 case had to come from Texas and for some reason it is taking almost a week to get here in Sandy Eggo. But it will be ready for zip tie. I will installing the gears sometime this week and break them in next week before I drive to Zip Tie. Ha ha ha ha ha ha Nothing like having a plan and shipping parts puts you a week behind.

slant42.jpg

slant43.jpg

other than making trans mount was there any tunnel mods?

Yes. But that will be in the video for the pics. But it was as easy as just using a plasma cutter and just using the flat part of the hump as a guide just tracing it out. Then a grinder to get sharp edges smooth. That took all of ten minutes. The trans support took two hours as that I had to leave room for access to all four bolts and the speedo cable. One bolt, the passenger inner had to be ground down on the head with a thinner washer. That gave me the 0.500" or 1/2 an inch of clearance all the way around.

I have a mileage up date now that everything is good and broken in. My average is 23.7 mpg and that is over a 3 month-ish time span and driving now in the fast lane at 75+MPH. That includes trips around town and traffic. I have not had a chance to do a LONG trip yet with out either traffic or stoplights to see what I could get. So far I am happy with the set up and the install. When I get to drive it somewhere with out constant stopping I will check in with that info later.

The wifes car "Creamy Beaver" that radiator finally gave up the ghost and just died. It made it over 50 years and just could not be fixed so I tried one of those Champion Radiators. Fit well but the OG fan shroud will not fit. So I will make one for it soon enough.

sd32.jpg

sd33.jpg

sd334.jpg

loving the info, i'm doing another Dartlite. don't want to do all upgrades at once.
trying to experiment and see want makes differences. i dynamated it to see if it would cut noise levels.
i know it added weight. still feels like i'm driving a pepsi can.

I've been driving my 65 Valiant wagon for close to 30 years now as a daily driver.Last summer I drove her up to my camp on the Canadian border 400 mi each way 3 times and she never missed a beat.Your slant will go a good 300,000 miles without any real issues if you keep it tuned and keep the oil changed every 3000 miles.Put a timing chain in at 100,000 and don't beat on her. She'll treat you real good with just a little care .

IMG_4332.JPG

Cut down the bracket and sand blasted it. Going to put this on this weekend with the new alt.

sd38.jpg

sd39.jpg

Well it has been awhile since I have done anything in fact I don't believe I have even updated the Alternator upgrade..So here it is...."It works"...Now on to what this post is about. This whole thread has been about me getting a slant six and learning about them while driving 50 everyday. So when I built this engine I used the cylinder head flow data, bore/stroke, exhaust manifold, and exhaust pipe length and came up with 208/212 on a 110 LSA with 0.444"/0.444" valve lift. The goal was mileage then power. Now I see one of my friends companies came out with their slant six cams and they reversed the duration "Larger on intake and smaller exhaust" So since I work at a place where I can make really anything I want I decided to make the same cam I had before but reverse the lobes to 212/208. I have over 30,000+ miles of data on this last setup so I gave the engine a freshen up and put this new cam in and as I drive it we will see what mileage, power, so on and so on as a complete apples to apple comparison. I will be posting the info as it comes in or every few months. The first link is the new cam card...second link is first cam card.

Camshafts | Connecting Rods | Roller Lifters | Rockers | Crankshafts | Pushrods | Clutches

Camshafts | Connecting Rods | Roller Lifters | Rockers | Crankshafts | Pushrods | Clutches

I made it with scrap metal I had laying around. I cant give out too much info since I had a Youtube channel at my house for 4 days while we did the swap. We also installed an 8 3/4 rearend that I had laying around. The gears NEED TO BE CHANGED because it whines badly that is why it is not on the road as of right now. Getting new 3.23 gears for a 742 case had to come from Texas and for some reason it is taking almost a week to get here in Sandy Eggo. But it will be ready for zip tie. I will installing the gears sometime this week and break them in next week before I drive to Zip Tie. Ha ha ha ha ha ha Nothing like having a plan and shipping parts puts you a week behind.

View attachment 1715449083

View attachment 1715449084

View attachment 1715449083

View attachment 1715449084

If you don’t mind me asking. What YouTube channel so I can subscribe.

-
Back