1969 Dart steering wheel interchange

-

GEO

Sarcasm Inc.
Reaction score
I have had a grant wheel on my 69 340 since 1986. I got the urge to put a factory type wheel back on it. What years will fit? I am looking at a wheel from a 1972 dart is it a direct bolt on? Here is a picture of a wheel like the one I am looking at

_5056-84a738-DSCN0034.jpg

'69 and older will fit an work properly. The '70-up wheels have a larger diameter where it meets the column.

I've had same wheel in a 73 Valiant but yellow color. The center piece snaps in. Those snapping ears tend to snap off at removal. The piece will just lay and stay in place though. I would sometimes lift it to hold toward those in the back seat and say, "Here, blow the horn". lol
Its the 3 buttons that blow the horn and the thin brass electrical contacts beneath are iffy. I don't recall what holds those in place. I had only 1 of the 3 buttons that worked.
I also assume the aftermarket wheel is a bit smaller diameter than the OEM. OEM might feel its intruding into your space and sort of like driving a bus. The aftermarket wheel I have in my 67 is only 14" O.D. but I do have power steering.
The larger OEM wheel is more user friendly with manual steering.
I know something as seemingly insignificant as steering wheel diameter shouldn't be such a big deal. It does make more difference than we imagine or expect, even more so today when every modern passenger vehicle you drive does have the about 15" wheel.
I just recently purchased a 2010 Ram quad cab. I don't like the way it handles at all. Everyone says, "Its a truck. It handles like a truck. So I guess I'm a car guy. Once I sell the 67 fish I plan to spend about 2K of that money to vastly improve the trucks handling. 2" down @ front, 4" down @ rear, coil overs, etc... At the same time, a larger diameter steering wheel could be all the change I need. I'll never know.

I have had a grant wheel on my 69 340 since 1986. I got the urge to put a factory type wheel back on it. What years will fit? I am looking at a wheel from a 1972 dart is it a direct bolt on? Here is a picture of a wheel like the one I am looking at

View attachment 1716131545
if this wheel won't work for you, I may be interested in it for my 72

I have located the black wheel I want I just want to know if it is a direct bolt in swap

'69 and older will fit an work properly. The '70-up wheels have a larger diameter where it meets the column.
Would you happen to know how much bigger it is?
If it's not to far off and will just bolt in I am good with that

Almost an inch IIRC. There may be some interference depending on which wheel and/or adaptor is used.

-
Back