1969 Dodge Dart - Parking Brake Switch

-

Lord Sparky

Reaction score
The switch on the pull parking brake is not connected to anything. There is a unused connector with two black wires going into it that is located to the far left of the dashboard next to the wall and near where the parking brake bulb is. The wiring diagram seemed to point to this connector as the one that should go to the parking brake switch (since the wires are wrapped it is difficult to be completely sure). I tried to short this connector to a ground and the bulb did not go on. Ignition switch was turned to ignition. Note: The instrument cluster is removed, but this does not seem to matter in the wiring diagram. A simple ground short to the negative wire going to the bulb should make it light. Anyone know where the parking brake switch is connected to and is the parking brake switch the same as the door/dome switches (single wire to ground)?

Parking Brake.JPG

The parking brake switch is above the shaft. It takes a barrel connector (male end IIRC)

The push switch on the boomarang shaped part is the switch that grounds the lamp. IIRC the wire is black.

s-l400.jpg

The wire will have a male SAE connector
SAEJ928-PN3180-1P1S.png

The switch looks like this

4175VL4bbdL._AC_SY400_.jpg

Last edited:
The parking brake switch is above the shaft. It takes a barrel connector (male end IIRC)

The push switch on the boomarang shaped part is the switch that grounds the lamp. IIRC the wire is black.

View attachment 1715455423

The wire will have a male SAE connector
View attachment 1715455430

That is correct. OP you can check the operation of the circuit by going out under the hood, down by the exhaust/ front frame and disconnect the brake warning switch wire. Ground that with the key on and the brake warning lamp should energize. Same wiring, splits off to the two switches

brakewarning.jpg

Yes. Like 67 Dart and Dana said... Looks like a single wire to the Parking Brake Switch and is self grounded.
20200119_203747.jpg

The Black wire branches off to one end of the Brake Warning Bulb, and thru the Firewall connector to the Low Brake Warning switch. This wire stays Black throughout.

20200119_203842.jpg

Looks like the other wire on the light is Dk Blue w Tracer and is fed from the ignition switch. See below:
20200119_205544.jpg

From what I can see here, The dome light circuit (left of the ignition switch above) has nothing to do with the Brake Warning Light.

Sparky, does your switch look like this, is it possible that the incorrect switch was previously installed?
Screenshot_20200119-210447_Chrome.jpg

Sparky, does your switch look like this, is it possible that the incorrect switch was previously installed?
View attachment 1715455465
I have not removed the switch yet from the parking brake pedal as I was looking for a wire to connect it to. From a distance it looks exactly like the door switches for the dome light (one connector).

any update?
Yesterday, I received the Classic Car Wiring diagrams. So awesome. They make the original service manual wiring diagrams look like hieroglyphics. The car is now in the paint shop getting the interior painted so I have not been able to investigate further. I did find out that the door jam switches are the same type as the parking brake switch.

-
Back