1969 Plymouth "Road Rims"

-

Reaction score
What can anyone tell me about these rims. I see they were an option listed in '69 for the Barracuda, but I rarely see them on anything.

http://www.hamtramck-historical.com/images/dealerships/DealershipDataBook/1969/69_Barracuda0017.jpg

mopp_0712_11_z%2b1969_plymouth_road_runner%2bwheel.jpg

Hopefully, any that are seen in use today are reproductions. The factory wheels were recalled shortly after their release.

I think they had a lug nut issue with them coming loose and wheels following behind? I also think they were used on several models of cars in small and large bolt pattern. All were recalled.
Specialty Wheel used to re-pop them, but they got bought out from Coker after owner died as I understand. I don't think they are being done anymore?

Hopefully, any that are seen in use today are reproductions. The factory wheels were recalled shortly after their release.

yup.. the 69 only recall wheels.. they were found to crack so they were recalled. someone was re popping them for a while..

here are the reproductions. saw these in carlisle in 2005.. $1900 a complete set... could even get them in 16". i like them.. think they are a good looking wheel..

DSC03288.JPG

DSC03289.JPG

DSC03290.JPG

here are the reproductions. saw these in carlisle in 2005.. $1900 a complete set... could even get them in 16". i like them.. think they are a good looking wheel..

DSC03288.JPG

DSC03289.JPG

DSC03290.JPG

I Agree !! I reeeally like them !! Saw a similar wheel on a 69 Super Bee in Carlisle a few years ago. They really looked great on the car. Considering them for my GTS.

THANKS Guys, FOR ALL YOUR HELP!! Learn something new every day!! That would explain why you don't see them. I'm very interested in a set for the Barracuda, I'll start digging!

Abodyjoe, Wouldn't happen to remember who was had them displayed, would ya??

THANKS Guys, FOR ALL YOUR HELP!! Learn something new every day!! That would explain why you don't see them. I'm very interested in a set for the Barracuda, I'll start digging!

Abodyjoe, Wouldn't happen to remember who was had them displayed, would ya??

looking in the backround of the pic its probably Specialty Wheel like rocky said..

Wellll... I did find out that the wheels are also referred to as "Warrior Wheels"... I hit a dead end with Specialty Wheels, here is their response:

Thanks for contacting us. I'm not sure why we keep getting the mention, but we do not carry, nor do we know of any source for the Recall wheels. Sorry we cannot help with your request, good luck with your search!

Michael Howard
Web Sales Manager

Classic Industries was also a swing-and-a-miss... They did show them at one point but no longer in stock. The only place I've found that may be active is in Salem, Oregon at this site: http://www.blueovalranch.com/content/mopar-warrior-wheel/

I called to see if they still distribute. (Left Msg.) The other problem I'm going to have is the 14" dia. small bolt pattern. I sincerely doubt if anybody has these, that they will have them in the small config. So... Might be good news for the B-Body or E-Body guys but unless I'm prepared to swap out the factory smalls for the 4-1/2 and stuff 15" under my car..... looks like I'm S.O.L. One last hope, Carlisle this summer. :)

I struggle to put on the '70 steel Rallye rims. My guess is that the Plymouth wheel covers on the car now are original and since I don't have the build sheet, I don't know if it called out the W23 wheel option... Even if it did, the recall would have replaced them with the steel wheels and likely the grandma wheel covers on the car now. Probably just need to get over it and move on.

The short lived now defunct not made anymore Warrior Wheel repro's were never made in 14" nor small bolt pattern. Since the centers are cast and the casting surrounds the lugs, I don't think they could drill out a virgin "as-cast" set to make small bolt pattern.

You'll have to find original small bolt pattern ones.

They did make a version of this wheel down in Mexico. IIRC, some were a little different and some were the same.

The issues with originals seemed to stem mostly from Repair shops not torqueing them correctly. There are original rims that have been in service and use for 40+ years.

They are only "Specialty Wheel" in name now. They are owned and operated Coker tire in Tenn now, not Portland Or. When the change over happened a couple years ago they dropped a lot of wheel choices Specialty offered, recall wheel being one of them. I do not believe as you found out that there are any sources for those wheels anymore. If you can find factory ones be prepared to spend 1k per wheel, if and when you find them.

Wellll... I did find out that the wheels are also referred to as "Warrior Wheels"... I hit a dead end with Specialty Wheels, here is their response:

Thanks for contacting us. I'm not sure why we keep getting the mention, but we do not carry, nor do we know of any source for the Recall wheels. Sorry we cannot help with your request, good luck with your search!

Michael Howard
Web Sales Manager

Classic Industries was also a swing-and-a-miss... They did show them at one point but no longer in stock. The only place I've found that may be active is in Salem, Oregon at this site: http://www.blueovalranch.com/content/mopar-warrior-wheel/

I called to see if they still distribute. (Left Msg.) The other problem I'm going to have is the 14" dia. small bolt pattern. I sincerely doubt if anybody has these, that they will have them in the small config. So... Might be good news for the B-Body or E-Body guys but unless I'm prepared to swap out the factory smalls for the 4-1/2 and stuff 15" under my car..... looks like I'm S.O.L. One last hope, Carlisle this summer. :)

I struggle to put on the '70 steel Rallye rims. My guess is that the Plymouth wheel covers on the car now are original and since I don't have the build sheet, I don't know if it called out the W23 wheel option... Even if it did, the recall would have replaced them with the steel wheels and likely the grandma wheel covers on the car now. Probably just need to get over it and move on.

There's no such thing as a "road rim". There are "Road wheels", but those ain't them. As said, those are recall WHEELS.

Wheels are for classic Mopars. Rims are for ghetto hoopties.

There's no such thing as a "road rim". There are "Road wheels", but those ain't them. As said, those are recall WHEELS.

Wheels are for classic Mopars. Rims are for ghetto hoopties.

R3; You are correct. I have fallen victim to modern vernacular... A thousand pardons.

R3; You are correct. I have fallen victim to modern vernacular... A thousand pardons.

You have saved yourself 100 lashes with a dead goat's butt and are on the road to becoming a non infidel.

-
Back