1969 Race Dart w/ 426 Hemi- garaged for 45+ years

-
I have never heard of one catching fire on its own (I am curious the alloy they used), but if there was a fire it would burn very intense. CO2 extinguisher and water would both make it much worse. Need a dry chemical extinguisher.

@replicaracer43 do you know if the intake is aluminum or magnesium? it looks aluminum to me. After sitting so long I would imagine it would have taken on the black oxidation by now if mag

according to this, 1965 casting would have been magnesium and 1964 aluminum yet.
Race Hemi Crossram Intake Manifolds
It has a 63 casting date, and definitely appears to be aluminum.

That is crazy the water put it out. Typically magnesium burns hot enough to separate the hydrogen and oxygen from the water making it far worse/explosive! Lucky
Was a Combat Engineer in a previous life, can tell you that lighting magnesium isn’t easy unless it’s in the form of shavings or powder in which case it’s almost like gunpowder. Never tried to put it out once we got it lit but we were told to try and cut off the oxygen source with mud if we needed to put it out. Once it’s going it’s scary stuff.

My thoughts on the whole tunnel ram - vs - cross ram intake are:

with 426 CI and factory iron heads, I think a cross ram with two 700 cfm carbs would work the best on a basically slightly modified street Hemi.
Trying to run a tunnel ram with two Dominators is too much for that engine. To take advantage of what the Dominators offer over the 700 cfm carbs, you would have to spin the RPM to the moon.
426 CI wouldn't be able to use 2000 cfm at all. Just my 0.02.....

ca. 21,5 lbs, bolt hole plugs included.
Early Direct Connection, not cut.
So magnesium I should say.

20230421 mag cross ram.jpg

Last edited:
ca. 21,5 lbs, bolt hole plugs included.
Early Direct Connection, not cut.
So magnesium I should say.

View attachment 1716080715
Somewhere I remember reading that the two holes in the middle where the bellcrank pivots give away that it is magnesium. Too lazy to go look it up to verify. A&A transmission is a good resource btw they repop the crossram in aluminum. Painted my magnesium crossram in Hemi orange to match the motor. Also have a Weiand aluminum vintage Hemi tunnel ram with two new dominators and the vintage chrome Holley airhorns that I bought on a whim and now functions as an expensive garage paperweight

Somewhere I remember reading that the two holes in the middle where the bellcrank pivots give away that it is magnesium. Too lazy to go look it up to verify. A&A transmission is a good resource btw they repop the crossram in aluminum. Painted my magnesium crossram in Hemi orange to match the motor. Also have a Weiand aluminum vintage Hemi tunnel ram with two new dominators and the vintage chrome Holley airhorns that I bought on a whim and now functions as an expensive garage paperweight
I believe the 2 larger holes in the center of the crossram was for the freeze plugs and that would note it magnesium. The 1964 only 1 piece aluminum crossram didnt have those.

I believe the 2 larger holes in the center of the crossram was for the freeze plugs and that would note it magnesium. The 1964 only 1 piece aluminum crossram didnt have those.
Yes, but does the magnesium intake have a date cast?
I can´t find any.

426 CI wouldn't be able to use 2000 cfm at all. Just my 0.02.....
since the crank and rods are to be replaced, increase the displacement if you were to use the tunnel ram. it was also make the cam a little "milder"
anything I can do to help other people spend their money!

Definitely not going in! Selling them to fund the project!
I would be tempted to sell the 64 crossram and carbs (has to be a tough part to find for somebody restoring a 64 lightweight$$$) and use some of the proceeds to buy street friendly carbs for the tunnel ram. Heck those vintage dominators are probably hard to find for somebody trying to restore an old pro stocker etc. probably worth decent money too.

Was a Combat Engineer in a previous life, can tell you that lighting magnesium isn’t easy unless it’s in the form of shavings or powder in which case it’s almost like gunpowder. Never tried to put it out once we got it lit but we were told to try and cut off the oxygen source with mud if we needed to put it out. Once it’s going it’s scary stuff.
Holy crap....definitely cannot BS you guys and better have my facts straight. I re-read the story Butch has told me (several times) in his book (page's 81-82). I got slightly mixed up, what actually happened is Butch is the one who grabbed a bucket of water (kept nearby for heat treating) which made the fire get bigger. It was one of Butlers guys that then extinguished the (mag) fire with a halogen fire extinguisher.

I guess I better continue to take those memory pills. They are the blue triangle ones...right?

This book is full of all his stories and a great read with (my favorite) lots of pictures. If anyone wants an personally autographed book for themselves, contact Butch...559-686-6274

29934.jpeg

Last edited:
those are keepers!!!!! I realize they are not Mopar buckets .....but they were what your FIL drove the car with, period correct and in great condition.
I don’t think they were ever in the car. They were in the basement, like a lot of other parts of different makes and models.

Maxcustody, what have you found out about the rear end and suspension?
Thank you.

I think the seats went with the big block Chevy heads in one of your first pictures.

All that information is in the thread if you will read from the beginning, thanks.
4:88 Dana 60... Yes, but there are at least three different width housing, to chose from.
Also I found it interesting to hear what leaf spring pakage was chosen?
Looks to have offset spring hangers.
Torque box rear?
Adjustable pinion snubber? Any reinforcement snubber, or above in floor pan?
Spring perches reinforcement?
Sign of wheelie bars?
Work inside wheel wells?
Well Im sure, in time you will look in to all this and let us know...

4:88 Dana 60... Yes, but there are at least three different width housing, to chose from.
Also I found it interesting to hear what leaf spring pakage was chosen?
Looks to have offset spring hangers.
Torque box rear?
Adjustable pinion snubber? Any reinforcement snubber, or above in floor pan?
Spring perches reinforcement?
Sign of wheelie bars?
Work inside wheel wells?
Well Im sure, in time you will look in to all this and let us know...
Found out the car I bought a 68 Dart Hemi was a car that was most likely drag raced in the 70’s from work that was done. Car was a converted 6 cylinder car which I knew when i bought it. Had a fabricated deep sump oil pan with the hole for the suspension to run through it, swing arm pickup actually very well done and functional. Had correct Hemi mounts not elephant ears. The rear is a 4:56 Dana. but not a passenger car Dana it was swapped from a truck. No mounting points for the snubber on the rear so a steel block with a rubber pad had been fabricated and attached to the floor pan. Super Stock Springs, mini tubs, wheel wheels were cut but done very well with a roll underneath. Evidence of fuel pumps being mounted in the trunk. Gas tank was reduced in size to save weight and had a fuel tap for fuel inspection. All the signs of a fairly sophisticated build for the period. Floor had been cut at one time for transmission access. Magnesium crossram, correct carbs. Unfortunately haven’t been able to track down the history, maybe if I stripped the paint but I would rather not. Retained everything as I found it when the drivetrain and engine were redone including a heavily hammered set of Hedman Headers I had Jet Hot coated. Jet Hot saved those headers, highly recommend using them if needed. You never know what you will find when you dig into these cars.

-
Back