1969 Race Dart w/ 426 Hemi- garaged for 45+ years

-
I have been following and reading this thread/build and figured I'd wait this long until I responded. I just want to say I'm absolutely mesmerized by everything to do with this car. The build , the story , every single part about it. Wishing you all the best and congrats!! I do want to ask about the shifter. I have a 1967 dart with a 340 4 speed. (833) with the 4 speed console and what I call the HURST spaghetti shifter thats all bent so it reaches the driver nicely. I want to put a similar shifter like you have or super shifter , something like that. Does it involve a lot of cutting? does it come close to hitting the dash in 1st and 3rd? Anyone have any information , I really appreciate it. Thank you in advance!
Thank you! About the shifter, I don't know the answer to this..................what I can tell you is it was set up for racing only and is a slick shift B-body trans modified to fit the Hemi and the car. My FIL did modify the cross member and the floor. Here are some pics of that.

IMG_9408.jpg

IMG_9410.jpg

IMG_9412.jpg

IMG_9413.jpg

IMG_8143.JPG

IMG_8145.JPG

I have been following and reading this thread/build and figured I'd wait this long until I responded. I just want to say I'm absolutely mesmerized by everything to do with this car. The build , the story , every single part about it. Wishing you all the best and congrats!! I do want to ask about the shifter. I have a 1967 dart with a 340 4 speed. (833) with the 4 speed console and what I call the HURST spaghetti shifter thats all bent so it reaches the driver nicely. I want to put a similar shifter like you have or super shifter , something like that. Does it involve a lot of cutting? does it come close to hitting the dash in 1st and 3rd? Anyone have any information , I really appreciate it. Thank you in advance!
@HemiDenny may have an answer for this......................

Great project and I appreciate your approach to a preservation, you have to keep the Keystone Klassics!
Thank you :thumbsup:. I have the keystone wheels, they need to be refinished. They also are not the correct backspacing and spacers were used, which I am not a fan of....................

Just stumbled onto this thread.. car is epic, can’t wait to see the finished product!

Wheel spacers aren’t the end of the world if they’re decent quality and torqued down properly.

@HemiDenny may have an answer for this......................
20210422_120643.jpg

20210422_120643.jpg

20210422_120634.jpg

20200730_085647.jpg

the additional aluminum plate relocates the shifter / hurst bracket slightly more to the drivers side and raises it so the linkage clears the OEM transmission crossmember. The reverse linkage install above the transmission mount / crossmember. Fits with OEM 4-speed hump

Any of you parts hounds….. posted a wanted ad previous but person who has one not correct year…….. may just get a new one from AMD as Jared @MidnightSwinger pointed out to me

Looking for the torsion bar crossmember part for a ‘69 Dart 4 speed. The arrow in red is pointing to what I need. Let me know if anyone has anything available. Thank you

IMG_9950.png

Last edited:
Any of you parts hounds….. posted a wanted ad previous but person who has one not correct year…….. may just get a new one from AMD as Jared @MidnightSwinger pointed out to me

Looking for the torsion bar crossmember part for a ‘69 Dart 4 speed. The arrow in red is pointing to what I need. Let me know if anyone has anything available. Thank you

IMG_9080.png
Scott, I’d gladly donate the X member and support from my 74 if you change your mind on the later style. I’ve already got the x member pulled.

image.jpg

so I probably missed it through through all 58 pages of discussion but if it’s being kept as a time capsule which is killer why pull the tunnel ram since it was as raced?

so I probably missed it through through all 58 pages of discussion but if it’s being kept as a time capsule which is killer why pull the tunnel ram since it was as raced?
Thanks for checking out the thread. Main reason it will no longer be a race car only. Mainly cruising and take it to car shows. The tunnel ram with 1050 dominators from my understanding are made for Racing and wide open throttle.

My guess on pulling the tunnel ram would be because he wants streetability. Over the years I've run tunnel rams in street cars and race cars, the tuning on the race cars were one thing, but trying to tune a tunnel ram on a street car is a totally different ball game.

As I remember, it was common for racers in the 70's to use the heavier duty, long tailshaft, B-body, 18 spline version with the "hockey stick" adapter in the A bodies.

-
Back