1969 Race Dart w/ 426 Hemi- garaged for 45+ years

-
The whole area Delaware, MD, PA, WV, VA, NC, Ohio, was a drag racers dream in those days so many tracks and racers in that area. I spent many late nights watching and over the years at times racing with my family saw so many iconic race cars and legendary drag racers. Check out “That Dart” online original factory hurst Hemi dart it used to run 10.20’s or so in original factory set up. One of my favorites along with the 1968 AMX super stocker “Wild Child’. I believe Bucky either owns or restored That Dart.
Unfortunately "that dart" is not in the toms family after Pete's heart attack.Pete and brother Tom bought that dart new and was the last original owners of the Hurst hemi darts.
Greed does horrible things to people.That dart is a very sore subject around the Mason Dixon area.
To the op that is awesome car and can't wait to see how it turns out.

Unfortunately "that dart" is not in the toms family after Pete's heart attack.Pete and brother Tom bought that dart new and was the last original owners of the Hurst hemi darts.
Greed does horrible things to people.That dart is a very sore subject around the Mason Dixon area.
To the op that is awesome car and can't wait to see how it turns out.
Thank you!

A Swinger should/must have a bench, no buckets - buckets are maybe from a GTS
Yes you are correct there was a bench seat in there, we just had it up on the lift and it was pointed out to me where factory holes would have been used for buckets. The seats I have must be from something else. I will look into it when I get back home.

I have arrived in NC and the car is off the trailer and on the lift…….ready for work tomorrow morning to drop the motor out and see what we have :thumbsup:

B32821B8-2186-4D45-BBAC-1069D9438625.jpeg

D04B5A83-4A45-4730-AC5B-3262BB52840C.jpeg

Sorry if this was already addressed but, any idea what the hemi came out of?

the more pics i see of this the more i love the keystones out back just barely poking past the fender with the narrow steelies on the front and the stink bug stance. it's just so period correct and perfect in every way. the paint, the hood scoop, all of it is just flat *** right and looks great.

the more pics i see of this the more i love the keystones out back just barely poking past the fender with the narrow steelies on the front and the stink bug stance. it's just so period correct and perfect in every way. the paint, the hood scoop, all of it is just flat *** right and looks great.
Thanks! The only thing I am really on the fence about is that scoop.................... thinking of a 6 pack scoop with the scoop and hood painted flat black.

Thanks! The only thing I am really on the fence about is that scoop.................... thinking of a 6 pack scoop with the scoop and hood painted flat black.
that scoop is what really drives home the "period correct" feel. it has the whole: i'm not here to make friends, i'm here to make money on a saturday night. it's what makes that car the long haired boyfriend with the leather jacket and motorcycle you really don't want your daughter to date.

that being said, flat black would look the part. but i'd totally rattle bomb it and not have it professionally done just to keep the overall aesthetic of the car looking the same.

that scoop is what really drives home the "period correct" feel. it has the whole: i'm not here to make friends, i'm here to make money on a saturday night. it's what makes that car the long haired boyfriend with the leather jacket and motorcycle you really don't want your daughter to date.

that being said, flat black would look the part. but i'd totally rattle bomb it and not have it professionally done just to keep the overall aesthetic of the car looking the same.
LOL, awesome! Yeah I was just thinking rattle can :thumbsup:

I can only imagine your FIL grinning with pride from all the recent attention to his Hemi Dart.

In some of the photos the Dart it appears to have a set of the old school gasser style traction arms....or am I seeing things?

I saw OEM (pictured) 68 Super Stock style engine mounts on the Hemi and a set of the aluminum elephant ears on the floor.....where both mount styles on it?

Hope you have fun with the build.

I can only imagine your FIL grinning with pride from all the recent attention to his Hemi Dart.

In some of the photos the Dart it appears to have a set of the old school gasser style traction arms....or am I seeing things?

I saw OEM (pictured) 68 Super Stock style engine mounts on the Hemi and a set of the aluminum elephant ears on the floor.....where both mount styles on it?

The car has a leaf spring/ladder bar setup, somewhat primitive, and possibly home built, but very well constructed for the time period. It also was mounted with elephant ears, the motor mounts have been cut off the factory 340 K frame. There is evidence that it had a K frame mount at some point, possibly the superstock style.

Thank you! Here are some additional pics. He fabricated the traction bars :thumbsup:

IMG_6995.JPG

IMG_7006.JPG

IMG_6750.JPG

Man, the twin dominators on a tunnel ram and a magneto just seal the deal for me. I love this car so much.

I posted this in the seat thread. Drivers seat is brittle and has a crack. What is the best option to restore the seats? A person responded and told me about Gary Ball interiors.

Back in the day it was popular to put Dodge A100 van seats in Race cars

Belive it or not, alotta guys ran "Steelys" (y or ie?) Back in the day. In fact I had a magazine article with the 69 and a half 446 pack for Speed Roadrunner jacked out in the black steelies with chrome lug nuts in the same color as your car. It looked Wicked!
Steelies with chrome lug nuts (and trim rings) look wicked:

duster-burnout-ii-jpg.1714937403

...but I think the Keystones fit on this Dart better...

-
Back