1969 Swinger 340

-
I got my ebay grille in the mail today, it was a cheap all black painted one, but it turned out ok for what I started with. After stripping two coats of nasty paint off, I cleaned it with steel wool and painted the center. It looks ok, but I'm still bitter about my original! I got my bumper back on, and took the car for a ride around the block, I was having withdrawls, lol. If all goes well tomorrow I will start working on my hood and get that back in shape.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    49.9 KB · Views: 591
glad to see you got the Dart back in shape.. Its looking good.. I am glad the accident wasnt worse (for both you and the car's sake) ... btw I have one question.. maybe this was addressed already, or maybe I am just out of touch.. whats with the pattern on the headlights?

Thanks speedracerx, this accident wasn't as bad as it could've been for sure! The tape on the headlights is a tribute to vintage road racing and trans am cars, some of them taped the lights so if road debris hit them, the glass wouldn't shatter and glass the track. I'm doing it purely for looks, I think it looks different and fits the vibe of the car, but if I could get to an auto cross before I break this thing again i could say it serves a purpose and actually be legit!:burnout:

Attachments

• image.jpg
    31.8 KB · Views: 594
ahhhh... well that explains that.. I never knew they did that. very cool

And it's back! I didn't want my first major fiberglass project to be a basically brand new hood repair, but I think it turned out ok. I'll drive it around and see how it lasts, but between the duraglass and mat on the backside I think it will hold up. Now to put some more miles on this thing!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    49.7 KB · Views: 546
Thanks, I'm glad to have it back! I drove it to get lawn chemicals tonight, it makes doing chores fun, lol!

I put some new rubber on the dart today, after the accident the left front tire kept going down, and they were all dry rotted used tires. I was going to put two new fronts on, but tire rack had some generals on closeout for $51 each, so all four it got! Went with 215/60 rears and 195/60 fronts, not that much rubber, but about all I can fit in the rear until I do some more work...maybe next winter!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    36 KB · Views: 492
The Dart survived it's first autocross! It drive the hour and a half round trip to the track, improved on every run, and didn't get last in my class. It was my first autox too, so I have a way to go in my driving, but it was a blast and I'll be back again. The car needs some more upgrades to be competitive, specifically tires, wheels, and upgraded sway bar, but I'm going to have fun the way it is right now. I've put 1200 miles on the car this spring, and the next goal is to take it to the drag strip, just to put a number on what it runs!

View attachment image.jpg

I put some new rubber on the dart today, after the accident the left front tire kept going down, and they were all dry rotted used tires. I was going to put two new fronts on, but tire rack had some generals on closeout for $51 each, so all four it got! Went with 215/60 rears and 195/60 fronts, not that much rubber, but about all I can fit in the rear until I do some more work...maybe next winter!

Actually for future reference.. the Dart can accept a 255/60 out back.. any bigger tho and you need to either move the springs in or start cutting the wheel lip out... she looks good with new skins

Actually for future reference.. the Dart can accept a 255/60 out back.. any bigger tho and you need to either move the springs in or start cutting the wheel lip out... she looks good with new skins

Thanks! I figured I could fit bigger, but with my 7" diplomat wheels and the price of the tire, I went with these for now. I have a 3" spring relocation kit for the car, and I'll have to buy real wheels and tires when that goes in!

New tach from Speedhut showed up yesterday, I mounted it similarly to a s/s dart, but without the extra gauge. It doesn't take away any visibility, because the scoop is there anyway!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    35 KB · Views: 428
So I haven't been on here in a bit, and I haven't done much to the dart lately...I have a short attention span! I've been working on my old four door belvedere, and finally painted it in my barn a few weeks ago. Now it's time to get back on my dart! I've put over 1700 miles on it so far, but the pinion seal started gushing so I stopped driving it before I tore something up. I get back in town on Saturday, and then I need to put that seal in and get the dart ready for Mopar nationals! If my work got the paperwork in on time, the dart should be in the manufacturers midway, in the Sinclair College Mopar tech booth. Stop by and check out my beater in person! If I don't get it fixed next week, look out for this blue four door, I want to drive the dart though:burnout:

Attachments

• image.jpg
    51.9 KB · Views: 380
So the pinion seal is fixed in the dart, it got really bad lately, to the point of me worrying about running it dry. Good to drive it again, it had been a few weeks! Now to clean up the primer and get it ready for Mopar nats!

Nice to see SOMEONE is taking their car!! Lol!! I'll definitely look for ya this weekend! Wish I'd be drivin my beater up! Oh well, now I'm just hopin to get my cummins back on the road b4 Friday so we won't have to bring the wifes mustang again this year!

Good to meet you this weekend Caleb, got to meet a few members and a bunch of new people as well! Saturday had good turnout, and the weather was nice as well. Made contact with future Mopar students, and most people seemed to like the Dart. You either dig it, or ya don't, lol! The best compliment of the weekend was "man, this is the best looking car here!" I told him thanks, but to get his eyesight checked!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    20.3 KB · Views: 323
Hey Ralph, it was great meeting you too and seein your car in person!! Wanted to swing by there again Saturday and completely forgot!! Lemme know if you're ever in the bowling green area!

I was looking through the photo gallery from directly connected online magazine, and found one of my Dart in it. Pretty good shot, makes it look way nicer than it is!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    52.5 KB · Views: 285
Hey Ralph, it was great meeting you too and seein your car in person!! Wanted to swing by there again Saturday and completely forgot!! Lemme know if you're ever in the bowling green area!

Will do, the corvette museum has that new road course, if I upgrade some things on the dart I'd like to play with it there!

Drove the dart 240 miles this weekend, first to a cars and coffee event on Saturday, then to Cincinnati to see the roadkill guys! My son and I like their show, and we caught up with them and met them at a scheduled stop. Definitely cool guys, and a fun little road trip!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    58.2 KB · Views: 269
Finally took the dart to the dragstrip for test and tune, and put a number on this thing. 14.19 at 100.67 was the best time. At first I was pretty disappointed, but being that I didn't build it for the strip and have skinny street tires on it, it's not too bad. Definitely has no traction off the line, even tried starting in second and spun. The 14.73 pass I missed second, but the consistent 100 mph is encouraging. A taller tire or different rear gear would help too, I was shifting into fourth right before the finish line. Not sure how much I'm going to change to go faster straight, but I'm doing the mini tub eventually, so I'll take it back after that. Plus I need to learn to drive before then :)

Attachments

• image.jpg
    33.5 KB · Views: 245
-
Back