1969 Swinger 340

-
A 14.19 is pretty fast. Too many people watch The Fast and the Furious, and think you need to be 10 seconds to be fast. That is a quick car, don't be disappointed at all.

I had 2wd Dakota, 4.7, 5-speed that I thought was fast as ****, and it only ran 15.20.

A 14.19 is pretty fast. Too many people watch The Fast and the Furious, and think you need to be 10 seconds to be fast. That is a quick car, don't be disappointed at all.

I had 2wd Dakota, 4.7, 5-speed that I thought was fast as ****, and it only ran 15.20.

I hear ya, my 5.9 Dakota ran about the same, and it never felt slow! I guess the reason I was initially disappointed was my 07 charger hemi that weighs 4200+ went 14.23 last year, and my dart (2900 with me in it) feels like it pulls harder. The 2.40 60' is pretty telling of why my dart is not any faster!

I've pretty much been just enjoying the car lately, and trying not to work in it for a bit. After talking to another member (75slant), I had the itch to swap rear gears. I played with a gear ratio calculator, and with my ax15's low first and second gear, my 3.23's were actually too low of a gear! After playing around with the calculator, my trans with 2.76s would act similar to a 727 with 3.91's! Luckily, I had a 2.76 sure grip center section all together on the shelf, and threw it in yesterday. It really drives better, it feels faster off the line because it's not blowing the tires off, and 72mph is only 2000rpm in overdrive. Win, win, thanks Caleb!

Agreed on the 14.19 being fast. Think about all the factory muscle that isn't as quick,yet still loads of fun to drive!

Once again, glad I could help!!:D least I could do since you've helped me with questions I've had about the ax15 swap!! Hope mines runnin by spring!

So I screwed up...when I swapped gears I also went from a cone type to clutch type sure grip. Forgot about the thrust buttons being different, and slammed it together with my green bearings. After driving it to work a couple times, it has a hum in the rear axle when it gets warm, and I'm pretty sure the axles are binding on the thrust button and tore up my green bearings. The center section was fine when I pulled it out of the other car, but I'll look over everything when it's out. I'm a little mad at myself, but it gives me an excuse to stop driving it and put the spring relocation kit in it sooner than later. I may switch back to the original bearings as well, just because this isn't really a straight line car. Good thing it's starting to get colder, time to get her back under the knife!

I'm a dumbass, but not for the reason I originally thought. I woke up one morning and realized what I did. When I swapped rear center sections, I took the u joint straps and layed them under the car. One of them was a big yoke, the other was small. I managed to put the large straps on the small unjoint caps, and didn't notice. Swapped the straps and I'm back in business! Still needs more tire though:)

LOVE the dart! Just curious though, how is your ax15 holding up? I have contemplated using one behind a mild low budget 5.2 or 5.9 swap in my duster, but everything I have read has basically stated they have a hard time holding up to just a stock 5.9

LOVE the dart! Just curious though, how is your ax15 holding up? I have contemplated using one behind a mild low budget 5.2 or 5.9 swap in my duster, but everything I have read has basically stated they have a hard time holding up to just a stock 5.9

Thanks! So far the ax15 has been a trooper, I have driven this thing really hard for almost 3 thousand miles this summer, and no issues. I don't have sticky tires on it, so I may find out how strong it is when I finally bolt slicks on it. I have a 95 Dakota that was a v6 truck with an ax 15 that I put a 5.9 in about 8 years ago. After 65k on that swap, it hasn't broken yet either, still shifts like new. I don't drive that truck too easy either, it's due for its third set of motor mounts, lol! That truck was why I tried the ax15 in the first place, plus I only paid $200 for the trans, so it was worth a shot :burnout:

So no progress on the car, it's in the garage hibernating, but if anyone follows the web show Roadkill, my Dart made it in for a few seconds! Over the summer they came through Cincinnati and my son and I met Freiberger and Finnegan, real cool guys. There was a good shot of my dart around 3:59, and my son is the little blonde kid getting stickers soon after. Pretty cool, as just about every episode has over a million views on YouTube, so the dart will be famous, lol! Well maybe not, but it'll help me get through the winter until I can drive it again.

[ame]http://youtu.be/duaRdayN7EE[/ame]

Attachments

• image.jpg
    21.6 KB · Views: 188
Well I haven't posted in a while, I've just been driving this thing a bunch, when the weather permits. So I decided to throw my mustang wheels from my Dakota on the car for a bit, mainly because I wanted to try autocross with a slightly better set of tires. Two days later, I found the limit of the transmission! I hit third at about 5500 rpm and that was it for that gear! A chunk of something has to be rolling around inside, it makes terrible noises when moving, but I limped it home on back roads at 15mph. I already bought another ax15 for $150 and will throw it in for now, but I may need to upgrade it if I want to ever have sticky tires on this thing! Hopefully next week I can start changing it out...

image.jpg

Uh oh!! :eek: Sucks to hear about that!! At least the AX-15s can be picked up cheap!

My stock, carb’d 5.9 won't be making the power of your HEMI and if/when I put a built motor in it i plan on upgrading to a T56 so I think I'll be fine till then. I'm HOPING to have mine running by the Nats this year but I kinda doubt I'll get it done...

Last edited:
Thats awefull! Sorry to here about this,but at least you found the limit lol...

Got my "new" trans in yesterday, the Dart is back in business! I had to pull the old one apart to see the damage...a mans got to know his limitations, lol!

image.jpg

So I haven't been on here in a good while, no real updates to the build to to this point and nothing has broken lately! I was tired of the aftermarket quarter panel causing the gas cap to leak all over the primer. The dish for the fuel filler was misshaped, and the cap would bottom out before the seal would. So I decided to mount a 68 charger fliptop cap on the quarter. Then I filled the original filler hole. Then I decided to start body work on a quicky paint job...now its 2011 Dodge Toxic orange! I love it, it has plenty of flaws, but I drive this thing all over and it turned out pretty well for a barn paint job!

IMG_1392.JPG

IMG_1463.JPG

IMG_1539.JPG

IMG_1773.JPG

IMG_1784.JPG

IMG_1797.JPG

IMG_1765.JPG

No real updates you say?? I'd say a complete repaint is a pretty dang big update!! Lol

Yeah I agree, that's a lot of progress haha I love the color choice.
No real updates you say?? I'd say a complete repaint is a pretty dang big update!! Lol
Thanks guys, I guess I worded that wrong, lol! I really didn't do much on the car for a long time, I was just enjoying it. I started the body work at the end of August, so it wasn't down for too long!

Haha, thanks! I’ll try to do a better job of keeping up on here, I’ve been just trying to enjoy the car after the long build!
Well after spending the last 2 hours reading this I guess I better follow along now Ralph.
th

-
Back