1969 Swinger 340

-
Thanks I appreciate it! It's finally coming together, I can't wait for the salt to be off the roads!

I missed this thread earlier. Nice build. You should share your experience on sorting out the wiring harness for those that are doing it.

I missed this thread earlier. Nice build. You should share your experience on sorting out the wiring harness for those that are doing it.

I'd be happy to help if I can! I started with an 06 jeep commander engine harness, so the first thing I did was eliminate the mds and auto trans portion of it. A good electrical pick and some practice taking apart the connectors is key. Also, a factory wiring diagram and connector pinout is needed. Once you have that, it is a matter of hooking up 12v to needed wires on the PCM, and running them where you want them. I used a 96 neon fuse box (because I already had it) for the fuel pump, asd, and start relays. Speaking of the start relay, the only issue I had was you have to use PCM controlled starting. I originally was going to use the original relay, but the PCM won't fire the injectors unless it gets a command from the start circuit of the ignition switch. I'm sure I am forgetting stuff, but if you have any questions, I'll be glad to try and answer them!

I may take you up on that if needed. I have weeded out all of what I think is unnecessary from mine. Haven't reached the throw voltage to it stage yet but I believe it is close. I started off with the full harness and from from a 06 Charger. They were proud of the little tool they sell to pull the pins from those connectors.
Who did you have reflash your PCM?

I may take you up on that if needed. I have weeded out all of what I think is unnecessary from mine. Haven't reached the throw voltage to it stage yet but I believe it is close. I started off with the full harness and from from a 06 Charger. They were proud of the little tool they sell to pull the pins from those connectors.
Who did you have reflash your PCM?

I used a Hotwire PCM, it plugged in and worked great right from the start. I called them with a couple questions and they were helpful as well, plus the price was good.

Finally got a fiberglass front bumper for the dart, so I rattle can chromed it and threw if on yesterday. My friends dad had one from his old car, so the last piece of the car diet is complete ( for now ). I had to remake my seat bracket out of steel, the aluminum was bending under the stress of my spirited driving :burnout: I also put some less dry rotted tires on the rear, and I've been looking for excuses to drive this thing, it's been a long winter!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    50.9 KB · Views: 574
I had a parasitic draw issue with this car that I finally diagnosed today, and I think I've found the issue: installer error (me). One of the times I had the engine out I must have hooked up the ignition run wire to the PCM to battery power by accident, so the PCM was never going to sleep. So now I don't have a .25 amp draw with the key off anymore, lol! It's a pain to unhook the battery every day you drive it with a lift off hood!

Finally have a speedo in the car, I have to remake my aluminum panel because it's crooked and I hate the spacing, but it will work until I figure out exactly what I want to do. The speedo had zero miles when I started this morning, time to rack therm up!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    32 KB · Views: 516
So I've been driving this car quite a bit, managed to clock 497 miles before someone came left of center all the way in my lane. Dodged him, not the sign. My 4 year old son was with me, and we're both fine, but the car will be off the road for a bit. The guy stopped, was cited, and has insurance thankfully, but it will probably take longer for insurance to get done than to actually do the work. It destroyed my bumper and my pristine grille, cracked my new hood, but it mashed the lower core support pretty good, enough to kink the lower hose and I think the radiator. Dammit!!! We are fine, but dammit!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    55 KB · Views: 496
Wow! I see this thread at the top and I was hoping for a much different update than this!!! Glad y'all are ok!

So I've been driving this car quite a bit, managed to clock 497 miles before someone came left of center all the way in my lane. Dodged him, not the sign. My 4 year old son was with me, and we're both fine, but the car will be off the road for a bit. The guy stopped, was cited, and has insurance thankfully, but it will probably take longer for insurance to get done than to actually do the work. It destroyed my bumper and my pristine grille, cracked my new hood, but it mashed the lower core support pretty good, enough to kink the lower hose and I think the radiator. Dammit!!! We are fine, but dammit!

Who do you have for insurance?

Who do you have for insurance?
I just have liability on it, but I was led to believe by the officer that his would cover it. I called my insurance (State Farm) just to touch base, and they told me not to hold my breath. Since there was no contact between his car and mine, and I hit the sign on my own "choice", the accident is my responsibility. I'm going to try and get some compensation to fix my car, but I'll probably end up eating this one out of my own pocket. At least I still have the stock bumper...

Attachments

• image.jpg
    44.6 KB · Views: 471
Wow. I haven't logged in for a while and this was the first project I wanted to catch up with, and I was super impressed and happy with everything up until the accident. Really sorry that some idiot caused such an accident, but good on you for avoiding what could've been much worse. Glad you and your son are ok!

I noticed a few times you mentioned some good scores at a pick and pull, where is it? I got a little burnt out on my Dart over winter, but after a few short drives recently I think the flame is burning again and I'm thinking of a few lower budget changes.

Wow. I haven't logged in for a while and this was the first project I wanted to catch up with, and I was super impressed and happy with everything up until the accident. Really sorry that some idiot caused such an accident, but good on you for avoiding what could've been much worse. Glad you and your son are ok!

I noticed a few times you mentioned some good scores at a pick and pull, where is it? I got a little burnt out on my Dart over winter, but after a few short drives recently I think the flame is burning again and I'm thinking of a few lower budget changes.

Thanks! The pick and pull is in Dayton, ohio, it's an lkq and mostly newer stuff, but there are some finds in there from time to time!

Update on the dart, the other guys insurance will be paying for the repairs, and the adjuster was out yesterday. I just have to wait to see the offer, but if it pays for parts I will be happy!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    42.8 KB · Views: 415
Insurance is finalized, so I can start ordering parts and get the Dart back on the road! I've been driving my 68 Fury a bunch since the accident, which is probably a good thing, I forgot how nice that car is as a daily. In mixed driving I get 18-19mpg with the fuelie 5.2, but it feels like a turd compared to the Dart, lol!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    40 KB · Views: 391
Wow ...what a bummer .....glad to hear you got compensated!

Nice to see you can get started on it again!! Glad it wasn't worse! Can't wait to meet you and see your car at the Nats!

Nice to see you can get started on it again!! Glad it wasn't worse! Can't wait to meet you and see your car at the Nats!

Me too, thanks! I should be able to get the car together soon, we'll see how long I can keep it together this time, lol!

Got the lower core support built and the new radiator and old bumper on today. I made the core support to bolt under the bumper, for now until I weld it in. I may Swiss cheese this core support, it's heavy :/

Attachments

• image.jpg
    49.3 KB · Views: 315
-
Back