1970 Dart Custom

-

1970dartcustom

of the Moore clan
Reaction score
Hey all. I have learned a lot looking through some areas of this site and am appreciative of all your posts (well some of them anyhow). My Dad is helping me from afar, and is building the car for me 1,800 miles away, and I am paying for it and sending him parts. We have just begun working on a 1970 Dart Custom with no motor or tranny in it that needs a full restoration. I am pretty much gonna do a Swinger clone, with a 383 , 727, and 8 3/4 in it. Already got a lot of the parts, had the rear end done already. The rear is 8 3/4 a-body with 742 carrier with sure-grip posi in it, all rebuilt with 323 gear in it, and new seals, bearings, and oil in the rear. Had it all steam-cleaned and painted by the guy while he was doing all that. I have about $1000 in the rear-end all in all, including the purchase of the unrebuilt rear. My Dad bought the 727 big block from a guy for 50 bucks,and looked inside and all the clutches were new... We're gonna put a stage one shift kit on it and probably a new pump, n whatever else it might need... We have most of the engine parts like heads and manifold n such, but haven't started on that yet, except we sent the heads to a machine shop to get worked... I am super excited as I have always loved old mopars. I used to own a 70 dart with a slant 6 in it, a 71 Scamp with a slant 6 in it, and a 1972 Dart with a 318 in it when I was growing up. I've never really built one, and am excited to have such a tuff drive train on this one. My Dad has spent many years of his life working on Mo's and I'm only sad I can't be there while he does it. Anyways, I'll post pics of the build and such as I can... James

Welcome to FABO - look forward to seeing pics of your build as it progresses!

Greetings

Parragraphs please! Makes reading easier. ;)

Welcome from Colorado! Sounds like a nice project:coffee2:

Dave,

Good Deal, I have a 70 Dart GT which is listed on the fender tag as a Custom. I was going to change it to a Swinger like I had when I was 19 but left it as a GT with a 408 in it. Good luck with your project and enjoy every minute of it!

Yeah, I was gonna just put the "Dart Custom" emblems on it cuz that's what it is, but my Dad said that those are undesirable, so I figured I might just go with a clean look with no emblems, chrome pieces, or vinyl... IDk, what do you all think?

-
Back