1970 Dart GT

-
Status
Not open for further replies.
Dont think thats a GT. Could be wrong but there is some things not quite right with the car. 71 rear bumper, 70 rocker moulding, 70 hood, rim blow wheel, a/c car with no a/c stuff. Just from the pics looks like a nice car overall and most likely worth the money due to the solid looking condition. What this would neen IMO is a vin check to see what all is going on here. There is a GT group that should have info on this car and the VIN. I dont think that emblem location on the trunk lid is right and there are no emblems on the quarters below the side window. Still, I would love to get my hands on it just because it looks like a solid car and the price is right. Somebody is gonna get a nice car here!!!

VIN shows it to be a Dart Custom, which can also be a Dart GT, being its a 2 door. And it may be a 71 GT, that was the last year for them. It also has the curved woodgrain dash which you typically see in Custom/GT's.

However, a lack of GT emblems on the sides, and it looks like it has Swinger emblems on the fenders. The rear DartGT emblem looks sort of thrown together.

Not sure how its a custom, VIN decoded below. Shows it's a '71, in which case if its a GT it should have the 1 year only GT rocker emblem. Can't see that in the pictures, but you can see a "swinger" badge on the fenders, which GT's did NOT have. Also, the trunk badge is incorrect, I think that's a quarter emblem from an earlier GT. And the "GT" door emblems on the inside are from the earlier GT's, the '70/'71 GT's didn't have those either. The dash option is correct, but a most of the '71 GT's also had a console and floor shift. I thought all of them did, but looking at the GT registry spreadsheet it seems like there's a few that didn't (or didn't post complete fender tags). The rocker molding looks right, '71's had it too (you can see it on my GT's in my sig) and its part of the package for a '71 GT, but you could also get it without the GT package.

I don't think its a GT, just a '71 Dart Swinger with a few options. Doesn't appear to have a fender tag on it either, so unless the build sheet is still with the car and bears the "A65" code it would be hard to prove it was a GT. There's a few other things you could look for, namely the holes in the rockers for those '71 only GT emblems. I put up a picture of the rockers on my EL5 GT, one with the '71 only GT emblem and one showing the lack of a "swinger" badge and how the rocker looks without the GT emblem. I removed the GT emblems for safe keeping, there was only about ~1,200 GT's made in '71 and the rocker emblems are REALLY difficult to find.

As for the Dart in the ad, I'd bet its just a Swinger and not a GT. Just a car that's had some incorrect GT badges added on to it.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2013-02-22 at 11.22.56 AM.jpg
    50.9 KB · Views: 665
  • e0b0_3 copy.JPG
    47.8 KB · Views: 655
  • IMG_3705.JPG
    86.7 KB · Views: 631
Sorry, I decoded the VIN as a 70 and it came up as a Dart Custom.

I'm not sure how similar Custom's and GT's are, but my 70 2 door custom came factory with a bench.

All gt was buckets with optional console. And the badges are correct molding too. I had a 71 and knew the history. Sold it at monster mopar a couple of years ago. Mine was gold with white top and interior. Console too.

And the badges are correct molding too.

The badges on the car for sale are not correct for a '71. There was no GT emblem on the trunk or on the interior doors in '71. Just the ones on the rockers. The interior door emblems on the car for sale are taken off of a '69 GT. The more I look at the one on the trunk the more it looks to me like its not even an original emblem, just one made using a '69 GT hood emblem and a "dart" emblem. I thought it might have been the '70 GT quarter emblem, but I don't think its right for that either. And if it were actually GT it wouldn't have the swinger emblems on the fenders either.

The badges on the car for sale are not correct for a '71. There was no GT emblem on the trunk or on the interior doors in '71. Just the ones on the rockers. The interior door emblems on the car for sale are taken off of a '69 GT. The more I look at the one on the trunk the more it looks to me like its not even an original emblem, just one made using a '69 GT hood emblem and a "dart" emblem. I thought it might have been the '70 GT quarter emblem, but I don't think its right for that either. And if it were actually GT it wouldn't have the swinger emblems on the fenders either.

I agree here. Without buckets and console its not a GT. You could also get console and buckets seperately with a swinger package also. You just wouldn't get the A65 coding or the holy grail 71 only GT emblems.

Well, at least it was built in Ontario, so it's possible....

Not all the GT's were built in Ontario. In 1971 Ma mopar also built GT's at the Los Angeles plant. There's 10 1971 GT's in the GT registry that were built at the LA plant, including my bronze '71 GT, registry #69. Fortunately it came with its fender tag, since very few of the LA cars came with build sheets...

I agree here. Without buckets and console its not a GT. You could also get console and buckets seperately with a swinger package also. You just wouldn't get the A65 coding or the holy grail 71 only GT emblems.

I thought this too, but after looking at the GT registry spreadsheet (which has a breakdown of the fender tags) I noticed that not all of the cars have the code for the console. Now, I haven't seen any of those cars in person, so I have no way of verifying they actually came with buckets and without a console. But the dealer manual listed the GT package as just the buckets, no mention of the console...

Attachments

• 71_Dart_Demon0006 copy.jpg
    148.4 KB · Views: 466
Shows how much I know bout the 71's huh??....

Probably still more than most! A lot of people are still under the impression that there weren't any 70/71 GT's. Had I not accidentally happened upon the two I have I wouldn't know anything either. And there isn't a ton of info out there on them anyway. I'm just glad that I was able to talk to Bruce about mine on a couple of occasions. If it hadn't been for all the research he did there would be almost no information out there on them, but even Bruce had to revise things a few times based on cars that came out of the woodwork, one of those revisions being the addition of the '71 Los Angeles plant GT's. I think everyone thought all the 70/71 GT's came out of Ontario for awhile.

Not all the GT's were built in Ontario. In 1971 Ma mopar also built GT's at the Los Angeles plant. There's 10 1971 GT's in the GT registry that were built at the LA plant, including my bronze '71 GT, registry #69. Fortunately it came with its fender tag, since very few of the LA cars came with build sheets...

I thought this too, but after looking at the GT registry spreadsheet (which has a breakdown of the fender tags) I noticed that not all of the cars have the code for the console. Now, I haven't seen any of those cars in person, so I have no way of verifying they actually came with buckets and without a console. But the dealer manual listed the GT package as just the buckets, no mention of the console...

I have one. I also have the window sticker and all the paperwork from the original owner that I bought it from in 85.

Thought it was interesting that the car is being auctioned at Copart, and it made me wonder. Learning alot about '70-'71 GT's...

I have one. I also have the window sticker and all the paperwork from the original owner that I bought it from in 85.

I misread your post. Things I've learned.

1. Buckets and console were serperate options.

2. Both could have been ordered, but mine didn't come with the badge or a the A65 code. I never understood why, except that my build date is 6-71 and has the highest sequence number I've seen 303209. I assume others were like this too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
-
Back