1970 Dart- Lexan Glass

-

sobiecam

College Student
Reaction score
I was planning to put some lexan windows in my Dart drag car project. I was hoping to be able to just pick up some flat sheets of lexan from the local Lowe's but i just wanted to see if anyone had been able to put flat lexan in the side glass, I'm going to keep the glass for the front and rear windows, just going to put lexan in the side windows.

I did it on a 71 Scamp Hard top with no problems. I would suggest for a race car that you use lexan on the windshield also but leave the rear glass. You want weight off the front but not the back. A 50-50 car (weight on front axle and back). Though you won't reach that goal it is what you shoot for.

I have seen it done to other cars. There is no chanel for the windo at the top. They weld a tube to the door and up around the window back down to the door again then put screws in itto hold the windo at the top and sides. I use to have some pics but don't any more.

Before you buy lexan at Lowes...check with any local sign shops in your area, they can buy lexan and sell it to you alot cheaper then Lowes does...the only drawback would be you have to buy it in 4 x 8 ft pieces typically. They also may have cutoffs from other projects.

Before you buy lexan at Lowes...check with any local sign shops in your area, they can buy lexan and sell it to you alot cheaper then Lowes does...the only drawback would be you have to buy it in 4 x 8 ft pieces typically. They also may have cutoffs from other projects.
X2 on that:cheers:

Any of the race car shops, Ed Quay, S&W, ART, Alston's, Quarter Max, etc., etc., can sell you the tubing and the bending tool to make the window frame but you'll have to weld the tabs on the tube and then to your door. Personally I don't like Lexan as it scratches easily unless you buy the expensive stuff (MarGuard) and the glare off it makes it difficult to see at night, especially if you are older like me.

If you don't have fiberglass doors than the Lexan is a very, very small weight savings and to not have the convience of roll down windows just makes it worse, to me. My car still has all factory glass in it and the front windows still roll up and down.

Any of the race car shops, Ed Quay, S&W, ART, Alston's, Quarter Max, etc., etc., can sell you the tubing and the bending tool to make the window frame but you'll have to weld the tabs on the tube and then to your door. Personally I don't like Lexan as it scratches easily unless you buy the expensive stuff (MarGuard) and the glare off it makes it difficult to see at night, especially if you are older like me.

If you don't have fiberglass doors than the Lexan is a very, very small weight savings and to not have the convience of roll down windows just makes it worse, to me. My car still has all factory glass in it and the front windows still roll up and down.

This why I use smoked gray Lexan on the sides. Yes it is true Lexan tends to scratch easy, this is why I will cut out and extra set when I make them and keep then for spares. But with the limited use a race car see's and with reasonable care it will last several years. And the weight savings on the 4 side pieces and the windshield adds up to enough weight savings to make it worth it. Plus allows you to move the weight where it needs to be if necessary, over the rear!

I am doing this and so far I have lightend up the doors 12 pounds each and that is not counting the glass so I would say it is worth it to me. It all adds up. Should take around 35 pounds off of the car for both doors.

check glass shops too- I work in a glass shop and cut lexan all the time...

-
Back