1970 Dart Plenum Cleanout

-

4 Barrel

Reaction score
I am in the process of trying to clean out loose debris ( dirt, bits of leaves, etc. ) in the plenum chambers of my '70 Dart. They are located way up in the left and right corners of the dash, up through the fresh air ducts ( behind firewall ). Super awkward location. Have tried using the tip of a small vacuum hose but can't really reach down to get this debris cleaned out. There are two drain holes located at the left and right upper firewall ( engine side ) but they are no larger than a quarter in size. What a crummy factory design! But this debris has to go as it blows out through the fresh air circulation doors. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.

Would the water from the hose ( even on low pressure ) not overflow the plenum chambers, and then find its way behind and into the dash??

Can you pop the oblong plugs out on the cowl and clean things out?
(pictured at the very top of the photo. You're car may not have these larger plugs) toolman

engine 213.jpg

You don't need to blast the water, slow steady, turn off when it starts to fill, keep jabbing wire...

I put an air line up top and had the shockvac jammed up the vent.I got most of it out,but first run down the track I got hit in the chest with a clump of pine needles.Scared the Bajeebles outta me.Had to get the shopvac out again.:-D

-
Back