1970 Dart Steering Column Disassembly - Help Needed

-

dcdman67

Reaction score
Hi guys. I am working on replacing the ignition switch on my wife's 70 Dart Swinger. I have removed the steering wheel, blinker assembly, and snap ring in order to remove the housing. It seems that the housing is stuck (bearing does not seem to be moving on the shaft) and I am concerned with something breaking if I pry on it.

Does anyone have any experience with getting this apart? Anything I should consider?

Thanks in advance!

Dan
IMG_0489.JPG
IMG_0490.JPG

Seems the bearing is just stuck there, Force it off or try to use a puller somehow.

Thanks Halifax. I used a screwdriver but was cautious as I didn't want to dent the housing or break anything. I will see where I can get with a puller this evening. I have let is soak in WD40 overnight to try and see if that helps. Also tried tapping the bearing with a small punch to see if I could break it free that way.

If I try and force it off, what can break?

Try tapping it on the sides with a rubber mallet maybe it will free up prob just gummed up and stuck on there, The housing is just cast potmetal I believe so it can chip pretty easily.

I took a big washer that fit over the steering shaft, drilled 3 holes aligned with the holes in the housing. About 2 1/2-3 inch bolts through the washer into the housing. Then used a gear puller hooked to on the washer, it gave the puller something to grab onto and pulled it out smooth and straight.

Thanks for the tips guys. I ended up using a puller with a washer as Backally suggested and it came right off. I removed the housing the holds the ignition switch to clean it and am having some challenges getting it to reseat. Any tips to getting this thing back together? The shifter seems to be lined up properly with the plate on the back of the housing. Any help would be appreciated!
IMG_0524.JPG
IMG_0528.JPG

I'm away from home so can't look at mine, and have a floor shift so it may be different. So maybe someone else will chime in but is that gap normal? Looking at the second pic in your first post it looks like there is a space there, and I think mine has a gap there also.

-
Back