1970 Dart Swinger V8 Restoration

-

macdrew77

Reaction score
A week or so back I bought my first Mopar, a 1970 Dodge Dart Swinger. In fact, this is my first car. I paid $1600 for the non-running Dart, an extra rear bench seat, the original 318 heads, complete extra chrome window trim, and a box of miscellaneous parts.

Some background on the car itself. It left the factory with a 318 v8 2bbl, 904 column shift, in Jamaica Blue, with A/C, PS, Power Discs, Blue vinyl benches and Music Master AM Radio(!). One of the previous owners painted red over the original paint, bored the cylinders .30 over, and installed a 727, 'machined' 360 heads, a mild cam of unknown specifications, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake and Holley 750 cfm carb with vacuum secondary, electronic ignition with magnetic pickup distributor, and flowmaster mufflers.

The car hadn't run for about a year when I bought it. Most of the gauges are non functioning, A/C is missing, turn signals don't work, the gas tank was weeping gas slowly from a hole that was filled. The dash is badly cracked, and bench seats are torn and mismatched in the back.

The Dart is residing for now in my parent's garage in Camino, while I'm in San Jose, going back to work on the car on weekends and such.
Check back as I try and turn this magnificent Mopar into my daily driver with a poor man's budget and a lot of big ideas.

Attachments

• 8 - 79Vf27s.jpg
    64.8 KB · Views: 252
  • 5 - ewdJS6f.jpg
    56.7 KB · Views: 197
  • 1 - OCPZBN8.jpg
    80.9 KB · Views: 239
  • 2 - Apz9VfI.jpg
    60.9 KB · Views: 203
  • 4 - 2YCf0cT.jpg
    87.7 KB · Views: 220
  • 5 - irp2yxI.jpg
    79.2 KB · Views: 244
  • 6 - FiQH5Pk.jpg
    64.2 KB · Views: 215
  • 7 - r84qPWx.jpg
    57.8 KB · Views: 252
The gas tank was seeping gas through a rust hole, so I pulled it out of the car this weekend. I was told the reason why this engine wouldn't fire was the carburetor, so I rebuilt it and discovered the wrong metering block gasket was in there. Replaced the gaskets and tried to start her, but no luck. The engine would fire and then immediately die every time. Eventually I realized it was dying when the key was released into the ON position. So I tested all the pins coming out of the firewall to find their voltages at the different key positions. The electronic ignition box was getting 12v when key was in Start, but little or no voltage in ON. Turns out only one pin is wired for 12v in both Start and ON, so I jumped the wire into another 2 coming off that pin. After that it started right up! Right now the car is basically sitting awaiting a new gas tank, which I have yet to order. I've seen tanks for 115.00 and free shipping on eBay but am hesitant to immediately go for the cheapest option, poor though I may be. Hope to get back to work this weekend, sort out the timing, replace the turn signal wiring harness, and sort out more wiring issues.

A couple quick questions maybe somebody could give me a hand with. As for timing, right now its set at 0 degrees TDC, any recommendations for what it should be set to? Doesn't your camshaft have a big effect on your timing? Unfortunately I have no idea of the specs other than it's 'mild'. Also could anyone identify the electronic ignition box or tell me more about it, like if it has a rev limiter? Can anyone identify the rear end at a glance? Sorry for crappy angle.

Attachments

• 5 - fmKpGIn.jpg
    115.4 KB · Views: 196
  • 1 - fGRHfiY.jpg
    68.2 KB · Views: 202
  • 3 - qOSPan8.jpg
    55.8 KB · Views: 202
  • 4 - Bvs2To4.jpg
    68.1 KB · Views: 191
If you need inspiration- check out Photo Gallery and look at Onehellofadart.
Looks like you have a good starting point.
Ballast resistor

-
Back