1970 Dodge Dart Camshaft

-

PikaPhantom

Reaction score
hello everybody, i have a camshaft that i am planning on reusing for a 318. I'm just wondering if there is need to degree it as you would a brand new camshaft.

thank you

If you can, I sure would. If the chain is reused, you'll know how much it has stretched and retarded timing.

It's actually pretty important on an 8/1 engine. On a 318, the difference of 4 degrees might only mean 4 to 5psi cylinder pressure. But the difference in low-rpm performance can be over 5.5%.
Again 5.5% doesn't sound like a lot, but it is the equivalent of one rear gear size, say from 2.76s to 2.94s. And if you've ever done the swap, you would know how significant that is.
Another way to look at it is, as an increase in stall-torque, of 5.5% plus. Again this does not sound like much at stall speed, maybe 4 horsepower, but at peak power it could be as much as double. Where you gonna get 8 horsepower for the time it costs to make the cam-timing right? That's almost half of what a 4bbl carb might make.

To put this into perspective, say you didn't degree the cam and did install a 4bbl carb. for a potential of plus 20hp. But the cam went in 4* retarded so you only realized plus 14 hp. You couldda had plus 8hp with a properly timed cam. So how much did the 4bbl system set you back for the additional 6 hp? Now yur getting it.
Now, this is not exactly how it works, but the point is the same, take the time and put the cam where it needs to be.

I would always degree it and I would seriously look at changing the timing chain. Not knowing the rest of the build I would still put a quality set in.

Hey, I'll tell you guys something funny;
Many many many years ago, I was broke as could be, but I was the proud owner of a good used set of 340 chain and sprockets. When I installed it on my 318, it was so baggy, the only way to get the dots to line up remotely close was to advance it one whole entire tooth. So I did that. That old 318 was about the strongest running teener I ever had,lol.I think that was about 1975. I woulda been 22 that summer.

-
Back