1970 "DUPED" Dart Swinger

-
I watched an episode of Road Kill last night where they drove a 68 440 Dart to some old drag strips.....they said multiple times... "Don't make it right, make it run"
Yea I say make it run, then make it right!

Then I say I hate rust, I will cut it out and weld in good, then some epoxy primer, the net guy can make it smooth and shiny. The I look at it and say I need smooth and shiny!

Yea I say make it run, then make it right!

Then I say I hate rust, I will cut it out and weld in good, then some epoxy primer, the net guy can make it smooth and shiny. The I look at it and say I need smooth and shiny!
It's a vicious cycle....

Mancini sells crank pulley spacers if you need. I had to add one for the classic auto air pulley alignment
Thanks. I found a kit on ebay with crank and water pump pully spacers in it. My next battle is the alternator spacing. It's totally messed up. Heading to Mopars in the Park tomorrow so I'm going to look for some final parts I need!

I've been putting in the man hours boys.

20230531_205414.jpg

20230609_221922.jpg

20230609_234302.jpg

20230610_004318.jpg

20230610_150910.jpg

Also on a side note... I took a Friday off to head to Minnesota with my kids for a nice weekend away. We got 41 minutes from home and a woman driving like an idiot hit, ran over, and launched herself over a semi tire carcass in the road... and slam... it nailed our Dart. She's destroyed and more than likely a total loss.

We headed back home and my parents brought one of their cars over so we could still take our trip. We had fun at the show, swimming at the hotel.. and I took them to a Twins game Saturday night.

20230606_142203.jpg

20230606_142212.jpg

20230603_173509.jpg

Paint/body work??? There are three choices. 1. The body shop that all they will actually accept the car if it is insurance work. Not old cars that take many hours and do not make them any $$$$$$$. If one does accept as a "work on when not busy" deal, that spells body shop jail! 2. The old sorta retired body guy that does a few cars. Almost non existant these days. 3. The DIY home resto guy doing "his" car that he offers for ale. The work varies from anal perfect to "was it done by a gorilla"??

Same holds try for mechanical work. Done by an $80/hr shop? or 2. the DIY guy that varies from pro work to 2. or......Why did that grade 3 bolt not work??

So there are "restored" cars, sorta rebuilt cars, there are drivers that barely run and drive, lip stick on a pig cars, really nice done cars that are worth the $ to a guy that cannot or does not want to build a car, the list is long????.......

UNless you buy a car that everything has been rebuilt or replaced, remember it is NOT perfect and even new cars break and are not always perfect!

THe old car hobby is a HOBBY and hobbies hardly ever make anyone any $$$, they just cost $$$$$$$$$$$$$....therefore, we call them hobbies and not businesses..

So why don't we call the Fed. gov ment a hobby!!???? :poke:
Couldn't agree more.

Here are a few updates.

The engine is in place and ready to fire. I changed the ignition system over to a Mopar style from the GM style the P.O. installed. I started fighting a no start issue and no spark...

With the help of members on the forum and Rob @Rustyri got the car to fire.... and lucky there wasnt a fire.

I have found an absolute mess of wiring issues in this car from the P.O. and have been told by many members that know more than I do about wiring that this car is an absolute fire hazard.

I am working on repairing these issues now.

20230614_185048.jpg

20230614_185050.jpg

20230614_192040.jpg

20230614_194602.jpg

You go boy! I can take zero credit. you did all the work. I'm just glad you got the ignition sorted out at least. Now you can work on getting the wiring in better condition.

I needed to pull part of the column off to replace ignition switch. The manual shows a special tool C-4044 to pull the shafts out of the bearing. Obviously I didn't want to spend $75 for a tool so I made my own. It cost $1.88 for a washer.

I used a section of 3/4 black pipe, a nut, bolt and larger washer. The nut fit perfectly.

20230617_101254.jpg

20230617_101301.jpg

20230617_101314.jpg

20230617_102001.jpg

20230617_102158.jpg

20230617_102254.jpg

20230617_102718.jpg

20230617_105429.jpg

20230617_112042.jpg

I guess the P.O. didn't think the seal and cover was important on the steering column end. The boys and I replaced that today. I used a puller to pull the cover down and a clamp to keep it tight. It worked really well and it's nice and tight.

The number 7 header tube is not allowing the column to go in correctly. I have a few sets of shims from Schumaker I am going to shim the driver side of the motor up a bit and see if I get better access. I knew this was going to be an issue because it was hitting the tube when turning the wheel.

20230617_181850.jpg

20230617_183011.jpg

Hell yeah man! Genius fab work. Nice job!

Well I've finally decided this car is done enough for me. I have someone coming to look at the car next Saturday. I have robbed part after part from my Demon, and 67 Dart projects to fix this jerk off's handy work. I have spent thousands of dollars repairing his **** work, and I am feeling like I've left the next owner in much better hands than the piece of **** that I bought this car from.

I could go on and on about the additional fuckery this jack *** left on this car that I've had to fix but I'd rather just say...

**** you Ray Simpson.

@ACME A12

20230723_180112.jpg

Well, I sure am sorry for all the trouble, but you've gotten it in MUCH finer shape than when you first got it. Someone will be happy with it.

Seems like you went through a lot of trouble fixing so many issues just to sell it but I guess it lost its sparkle for you. Nice to see there are some people left with integrity and values and not concerned just about $$$. You did a nice job and I wish you luck with it from here on.
Bennoel

I would love to own this Dart, unfortunately I just don't have the $$. You have done an exceptional job of making it right for the next owner.
:thumbsup:

Seems like you went through a lot of trouble fixing so many issues just to sell it but I guess it lost its sparkle for you. Nice to see there are some people left with integrity and values and not concerned just about $$$. You did a nice job and I wish you luck with it from here on.
Bennoel
Thanks for the kind words. I did the best I could to leave this car in a better place than I found it. Like I've heard before, we're just caretakers.

-
Back