1970 Duster 340 Clone*Update*

-
I would change the hood, valve covers, air cleaner then redo the quarter and its good to go here is a 70 340 Duster from the Dealers data book.

I need to find a copy of that and make a poster now. I have a bunch of autographs (mostly mopar drivers) and hang it on my wall lol.

The yellow is really growing on me and I thought about FM3 or some other high impact color, but I do love the yellow now.

I wanted to do a fast update. I or well my uncle did, found a 340 block. My uncles girlfriends brother inlaw has a Dart sport and I think a Duster as well.

He cloned these cars and put a 360 in the one that is a really healthy motor. They were talking about the Duster I have a trade deal in the works for.

The guy said if I wanted a 340 he has a block. My uncle will be talking to him some more today and will get a price and details for me. I will also find out if he has other parts for A bodies.

Man I'm getting excited and nervoues at the same time that this deal might fall through...

Not to knock the 340 (Hell I have/just built one) but do yourself a favor. Go to the junkyard/pick a part, and pull a late 80s/early 90s 360 LA block roller motor from a pickup. You'll be steps ahead of the game with the roller already there and you can build the 360 for cheaper. Remember that TORQUE is KING on the street! Plus all the cool bolt on parts for the 340 will bolt on to that 360. Now if you're worry about someone saying its a 360 and not a 340, tell them its a 340 (only why they'll know is if they look at the number on the side of the block) and if they say thats an externally balanced motor and all 340s are internal, call Bullsh!t and clearly state that from April 1st, 1972 ALL 340 motors were externally balanced (and yes, a late model 340 externally balanced motor can be built to be an internally balanced one because that what I did with mine).
That said if you can get the 340 for cheap and is got a stock bore or close (I paid $50 for my 340 block) go for it. But I'd sell the 340 block to someone else and go buy that LA roller block motor. This is just coming from someone who just built a 340 which I can get you specs if you want.

Not to knock the 340 (Hell I have/just built one) but do yourself a favor. Go to the junkyard/pick a part, and pull a late 80s/early 90s 360 LA block roller motor from a pickup. You'll be steps ahead of the game with the roller already there and you can build the 360 for cheaper. Remember that TORQUE is KING on the street! Plus all the cool bolt on parts for the 340 will bolt on to that 360. Now if you're worry about someone saying its a 360 and not a 340, tell them its a 340 (only why they'll know is if they look at the number on the side of the block) and if they say thats an externally balanced motor and all 340s are internal, call Bullsh!t and clearly state that from April 1st, 1972 ALL 340 motors were externally balanced (and yes, a late model 340 externally balanced motor can be built to be an internally balanced one because that what I did with mine).
That said if you can get the 340 for cheap and is got a stock bore or close (I paid $50 for my 340 block) go for it. But I'd sell the 340 block to someone else and go buy that LA roller block motor. This is just coming from someone who just built a 340 which I can get you specs if you want.

Thanks for the info. I wasnt going to give over $100 for it and keep with the car and still look for a 360 or 383 to drop in.

I never thought about the trucks having the 360s in them. I will have to look into that and see what I come up with.

I'm in no rush for any motor after I get the car. The 318 has headers and a cam in it. I was just thinking of the block for if I ever resell the car to someone that wants to make it look correct.

What HP are you getting out of your 360? I like to hear more about it. I have always liked the 360s and I looked at a 73 or 74 Cuda, I think it was a 73 and it was a factory 360 car.

That was a rouf car wish I would have still bought it but the asking price was $6000 and at that time there wasnt as many parts for it as there are now.

The 360 replaced the 340 in 1974, so that Cuda should've been a 340 car unless someone dropped a 360 in it.
I have a 340, BUT had I not got the 340 for next to dirt ($50) and had I known at the time I was looking for a motor about the 360 LA roller block motors I would've gone that route in a second.
You'll find the LA roller motors (360s) in Trucks and Vans, just read the side of the block before you start pulling. Also be on the look out for the "302" casting heads on 318s, people like to buy those.

I can give you the specs of my 340 build if you want that.

The 360 replaced the 340 in 1974, so that Cuda should've been a 340 car unless someone dropped a 360 in it.
I have a 340, BUT had I not got the 340 for next to dirt ($50) and had I known at the time I was looking for a motor about the 360 LA roller block motors I would've gone that route in a second.
You'll find the LA roller motors (360s) in Trucks and Vans, just read the side of the block before you start pulling. Also be on the look out for the "302" casting heads on 318s, people like to buy those.

I can give you the specs of my 340 build if you want that.

Yeah I remember decoding the Cuda and it was coded a 360 so it would have been a 74 then. The car was bought buy a local guy but I have no clue were it is. It needed just about every panel on it and missing a lot of parts.

I will look for the truck and van motors. I have a few wrecking yards here in the area and a lot of MOPAR guys around that might have what I'm looking for.

I think the guy said this 318 have different heads or head work done to it. He bought it at Mecum and is just trying to sell or trade it and sell the next car off or he may just be a collector. My Vette is a one year only car and I was shocked at book value on it.

I will check it all out when I have the title in hand and the car in the garage. I'm just holding my breath that the deal doesnt fall through.

Yeah I would like to know the specs and how and what you did to build it. What is the HP on it?

Thanks for all the info.

No hood scoops on any 340 Dusters ever. Only the twister got the scoops. Also no stripes for 70. The big thing is the rallye dash. It also looks like the shifter you have is the shorter 70 E body piece, Not the correct A body.

Under the hood the air cleaner is a 68-69 piece, not the correct 70-71 air cleaner, Headers instead of the correct manifolds. Looks like a factory intake.

Looks like a nice driver, Fix the 1/4 and beat it like a rental,

I agree on all points but don't understand "no stripes for '70". I have seen plenty of original 70 Dusters that have stripes.

I agree on all points but don't understand "no stripes for '70". I have seen plenty of original 70 Dusters that have stripes.

The stripes on this car are the original 70' stripes.....

Attachments

• scan0008.jpg
    96.7 KB · Views: 173
  • scan0001.jpg
    87.4 KB · Views: 199
  • scan0006.jpg
    99.3 KB · Views: 194
The stripes on this car are the original 70' stripes.....

That is a beautiful Duster. I really like seeing pics like this of back in the day. I'm taking that was early to mid 70s in the pics.

I like the Barracuda/Cuda in the background. What year and motor was in that one?

The Duster had the Chevelle SS cornered, didn't want to come out and play :axe:

If you have more pics like that would love to see them. Is there a thread of pics from back in the day?

That is a beautiful Duster. I really like seeing pics like this of back in the day. I'm taking that was early to mid 70s in the pics.

I like the Barracuda/Cuda in the background. What year and motor was in that one?

The Duster had the Chevelle SS cornered, didn't want to come out and play :axe:

If you have more pics like that would love to see them. Is there a thread of pics from back in the day?

That was 1975. The Cuda was the neighbors. It was a 340 and he bought it new with money he saved thru high school. He wanted a Hemi car but was out of his price range. He put 14k on it then took it of the street and just raced it...... went 12.70's @ 108 with a big hyd. cam, 3800 conv. and 4.57 gears. One of the fastest small blocks on the street back then before he raced only. I don't have alot of pictures because at the time we didn't realize what a great time in history it was. I have a few i need to dig up and scan. I think there are a few threads here with some old school pics. Will have to search and see what's there.

Good luck with the new Duster, it looks nice to me and i'm sure you'll really enjoy it, Rick

P.S. Even though i worked on and raced the Duster it wasn't mine, it was my best friends. I posted the story of this car on another thread.....go to post #9 to read about it.

http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=191593

P.S.S. I found a few of the Cuda.

Attachments

• scan0004.jpg
    116 KB · Views: 181
  • scan0005.jpg
    117.7 KB · Views: 167
  • scan0003.jpg
    105.1 KB · Views: 179

Oops, sorry, I meant no hood stripes or black out, the big 340 wedge decal was 71 only.

Well got an update on the Duster. The guy got the title today and is going tomorrow to put it in his name and it will be a few more days until I can call it my own.

I can't wait to see it in the garage!

Well for now the deal is off........My car has what we think a rear main seal leak in the trans. My dad said being a daily driven car you wouldnt see it and since I have not driven other then up and down the drive way it showed up a few days before the trade was going to happen.

The guy was about halfway mad and called my Vette a sh*t car. I was up front and nice about everything the whole time.

His car has a problem with the gas....Not sure what but it needs work as well.

Alll well back to the drawing borad. I am looking at a few year A bodies or I might just sell a few of my guns and buy this 73 Duster slant six car.

All well............I miss Mopar land really bad :banghead:

so? save money and get the trans fixed. you mentioned you have a vette, drive that while you are waiting to get it done.

..as mentioned already,a few small changes if your fussy
..it's very nice the way it is!

Of little consequence : the "B" engine code ( VL29B0B ) stands for the 198 Slant Six ; and the "D11" on the fender tag = 3 speed manual , column-shift .

Other than the "R11" AM Radio , it looks completely sans options !

so? save money and get the trans fixed. you mentioned you have a vette, drive that while you are waiting to get it done.

No my trade deal fell through I dont own the Duster. The leak stopped the trade deal from happening.

I did and may have a trade on a 73 Charger with a 400 says its numbers matching and build sheet.

I can't drive the Vette due to of having had a stroke and left with muscle weakness and problems. I can drive it a short distance but it takes an hour or so to recorver to drive back home.

Sorry your deal fell through. Don't give up there is a A body for you somewhere it just takes time.

Sorry your deal fell through. Don't give up there is a A body for you somewhere it just takes time.

I'm not one to give up, I just dig in and fight a little harder lol.

I did find two early A bodies. I'm talking to a guy now with a 65 Barracuda. It needs paint in the same area as the Duster 340 Clone did. I also have a post on here about it and a 64 Dart GT.

I'm waiting to hear back on the guy with the Dart GT, he also has a T bird I really like, but would flip that car to get into a Mopar.

-
Back