1970 DUSTER 340 FACTORY EXHAUST END CUTS w/o TIPS???

-

Interesting.... The other RTS ads I looked at before didn’t have that. But I do remember that ad.

so is that one year only tailpipe ?

What ir3333 posted and from the Accurate LTD site show a tailpipe that starts 2 1/4” and ends smaller. 1969 Swinger 340 cars do not have tips. Also, 71 Duster has tip optional.

Do you happen to have any reference to original 70 340 Dusters, or part numbers? .... It’s I just that advertisements don’t always have correct info.

Last edited:
In 1970 Dart swinger 340s all came with the chrome (one year only) exhaust tip and as stated above they had 1 7/8 tailpipes and the extension inlet was even smaller, EXCEPT (for reasons I can't fathom) all the California emissions cars had no tips and they ended with a kick up then down and the end was cut on an angle almost parallel with the ground like the B body pipes in post 11

This is the 70-71 parts book for tailpipes. It doesn’t show sizes. But it does show what cars shared the same tail pipes

It shows:

70 Duster 340 and Swinger 340 without tips as same part number

71 Duster 340, 71 Demon 340, and 70 Swinger 340 with tips all with same part number.

5374670A-2CD7-42B5-B475-EA1059E10F70.jpeg

Last edited:
wouldn't be the first time marketing got it wrong in a factory brochure - remember they have to put those things together long before the details of production are finalized. I still get a kick out of the option picture in the 70 Dart brochure that shows a rallye wheel on a car with no center cap - the caps weren't finished yet and that's why all the 1970 Swinger 340 promo shots have regular wheels and wheel covers.

many marketing/ advertising mistakes.No 340 of any year came with 10.5:1 or even 10:1 compression.

IIRC, the California cars of many high performance models had turn down tips, not the stainless box tips like my '70 Swinger 340, because they were too loud for the new noise restriction laws.

Yup, now if I could only get a few more pics to show my exhaust guy we would be in business! I googled a few but if I could get a couple original cars w some azz end pics, that would be perfect !
Are you having your exhaust done for show, or are you just trying to follow OEM look as close as you can? IMHO unless your car is being judged, run your exhaust any way YOU want, with whatever tips/no tips you desire. It's your car.

Last edited:
I like to watch the old Mopar ads and training videos . I pause on shots ofthe cars to look at the details . Often there are parts that did not make it into production . Or the training video dialog is inacurate .

The Noise Reduction pipes without tips had bologna sliced ends that were close to parallel to the ground; not quite parallel but they were not just round pipes cut off perpendicular. I had a set I used to run on my 318 car. I had bought them from a dealer (I think I remember anyway). They did not have the 1.875" crimp on the end to clamp around the tips. When mounted correctly, they're not as easy to see and mad the car look rather Sleeper-like.

The back view of my Swinger 340 with the chrome box tips is an instant warning to IROC Z28's, Mustang 5.0's, and whatever the local kids put on their 4 cylinders. I love the comments like "My Aunt Jenny had a Dart like that, but it didn't have those loud things on the back." Working on her as my health allows. Paul.

-
Back