1970 Plymouth valiant a833 tranny?

-
Any 833 will fit, including the aluminum OD versions....just takes the right shifter, bellhousing, driveshaft, shift linkage and shift mount adapter (there are patterns around to make your own for the long tailshaft versions).

Any 833 will fit, including the aluminum OD versions....just takes the right shifter, bellhousing, driveshaft, shift linkage and shift mount adapter (there are patterns around to make your own for the long tailshaft versions).

"Fit" might be a word. I don't think ADAPTING a long shaft into an A is exactly "fit." It's not a bolt in. Some trans won't "fit" because of the retainer diameter. So you have to play

"Fit" might be a word. I don't think ADAPTING a long shaft into an A is exactly "fit." It's not a bolt in. Some trans won't "fit" because of the retainer diameter. So you have to play
It is as much of a bolt in as a short tailshaft with the exception of a few hours to fab the shifter bracket.....the drawings are floating around the net, plus they are more abundant, and if he presently has a 727 he will not require a new driveshaft.......

It really depends on budget, what parts are at hand or available locally and the OP's wants.....

Last edited:
What did it come with? My '70 Valiant has a three speed stick from the factory & I love it as is, very fun to drive.

baw.JPG

if he presently has a 727 he will not require a new driveshaft...........

That's a point but what about shift linkage? Does any factory linkage fit this swap?

Does the adapter plate fit into a factory 4 speed tunnel?

what are you using to put it on your 360 la motor , i've got a package to put it in . what you got ?

what are you using to put it on your 360 la motor , i've got a package to put it in . what you got ?
yes I want to pair tranny with my 360 la motor. To fit in my 1970 Plymouth valiant. Haven't got the tranny cause I wanna get yalls input to make sure I set this up right

Last edited:
With bucket seats the long-tail can easily be "made to fit", and I love the rear mounted shifter placement.
I never since 1969, liked that waaay-over-there shifter placement, with it's way-too-long and all-twisted-up stick. When the T-handle busts loose on the 2-3 shift, your knuckles are in the dash at all the power your shoulder and abs can put it in there.Stirring that thing is like stirring a witches pot;Half the race is just stirring that thing.
But maybe that's just me. I like a high-mounted,short stick,located right at my thigh. Snick,snick,snick, aaaaand done. Yeah,a custom rear mount! You will never be sorry.OK;make that; I've never been sorry.
Besides, if you ever want a GVOD, they only have a long-tail adapter, and you will be all set up for it.

what i have with put an a body 4spd trans small input 4.35 dia hub to the la motor i even got peddles . and an early trans 2.66 first gear with factory hurst shifter linkage . a pic of the trans n linkage

DSC07328.JPG

DSC07329.JPG

DSC07330.JPG

DSC07331.JPG

DSC07332.JPG

-
Back