1970 Rally Dash Swinger

-

WEBBY

Reaction score
Ok the tricky part is I got the Rally Dash and it is in nice shape with 22,000 out of a race car, gauges and radio and heater controls and the wood grain cluster cover. and the wiring for dash.....I think I read somewhere that a rally dash frame and a non rally dash frame are different, I have a 1969 Plymouth Valiant 2 door post car, I have a set of 1969 barracuda buckets with head rests recovered in the deluxe pattern, rear seat to match with front deluxe door panels and rear to match all from legendary, auto on floor with the console. Drive line is a stroked 340 6 barrel and a 904 with the low gear set and a 8 3/4 with 3.23 sure grip, with the rally rims. How do I get that rally dash in.....Do I need a 1970 rally dash frame.....My keys are in the dash in a 1969 the 1970 rally dash frame the keys would be in the column.....Any information would be appreciated. Thanks Webby.

Yes, you need the rally dash FRAME to go with that rally dash. You can run either/any column you like. You can hole-saw the frame for your current switch assy.
I've never put a rally dash into a 68 Valiant, so IDK if it fits.But I did put a 70 Duster rally dash into a 68 Barracuda.

Well...

You don't NEED the rally dash frame. You can modify a non-rally dash frame to fit the rally dash gauge cluster. That's what I did on my Duster to install a rally gauge cluster into the '74 dash frame.

Now, having done it, I would say that it's much easier to just get the right dash frame. Getting the rally cluster into the standard dash frame took a lot of fitting and trimming to get it to look right, and I had to weld in a couple mounting tabs and do a lot of flanging. And if you intend to run a stock radio that would be even more work, because the non-rally dash frame and the rally dash frame locate the radio in a different spot, by about an 1". I planned on running an aftermarket radio from the start, so I filled the radio cut out on my rally dash. I also removed the "dog leg" from the rally dash cluster, using a glove box trim piece to finish out my rally dash. If you wanted it to look stock you'd have to add the additional mount for the dog leg section.

I don't think I would do it again. But it can be done.

Here's what I did...

Stock dash and gauges
IMG_1010_zps7ab7029d.jpg

Stock dash frame
IMG_1011_zpsa4bd6f27.jpg

Modified to fit the rally gauge cluster
IMG_1078_zpse633346a.jpg

Finished product
IMG_5176_zps782af97e.jpg

Well...

You don't NEED the rally dash frame. You can modify a non-rally dash frame to fit the rally dash gauge cluster. That's what I did on my Duster to install a rally gauge cluster into the '74 dash frame.

Now, having done it, I would say that it's much easier to just get the right dash frame. Getting the rally cluster into the standard dash frame took a lot of fitting and trimming to get it to look right, and I had to weld in a couple mounting tabs and do a lot of flanging. And if you intend to run a stock radio that would be even more work, because the non-rally dash frame and the rally dash frame locate the radio in a different spot, by about an 1". I planned on running an aftermarket radio from the start, so I filled the radio cut out on my rally dash. I also removed the "dog leg" from the rally dash cluster, using a glove box trim piece to finish out my rally dash. If you wanted it to look stock you'd have to add the additional mount for the dog leg section.

I don't think I would do it again. But it can be done.

Here's what I did...

Stock dash and gauges
IMG_1010_zps7ab7029d.jpg

Stock dash frame
IMG_1011_zpsa4bd6f27.jpg

Modified to fit the rally gauge cluster
IMG_1078_zpse633346a.jpg

Finished product
IMG_5176_zps782af97e.jpg
WOW ! I just have to say that , that came out really nice ! I like the carbon fiber inserts as well . Good job ! I think it was worth the work .

In 68 many valiants came with rally dashes. I would find a dash from a 67 or 69 but 69 will be more correct for your year since 68-9 used a push button for the glove box door and 67 used a pull handle/bezel. If that harness is good use it but 70-up didn't have the key in the dash.

-
Back