1970 swinger door lock

-

F/A Tech

Reaction score
Hi All, The rod has come out of the door lock (passenger side) Question ... how do I get it back in ? does the other end of the rod come out, I was thinking it would snap in and out ? Don't want to break anything !
Help appreciated.
Thanks

Which rod? The one from the lock cylinder to the latch? The lock cylinder end has just a "S" shaped end that goes into the hole on the tail piece of the lock cylinder. The other end has a small button on it that gets captured by a sliding clip on the latch. Slide the clip to the side, insert the linkage rod, and then slide the clip back to hold the rod. The questions is, why did it come loose? Something worn out or broken?

Which rod? The one from the lock cylinder to the latch? The lock cylinder end has just a "S" shaped end that goes into the hole on the tail piece of the lock cylinder. The other end has a small button on it that gets captured by a sliding clip on the latch. Slide the clip to the side, insert the linkage rod, and then slide the clip back to hold the rod. The questions is, why did it come loose? Something worn out or broken?
Thanks for your reply Is the RED circle clip the 1 I would slide ? Can't see behind it.

Swinger door latch.jpg

I've never been able to get the rod on the lock cylinder side off without taking the lock cylinder loose and mostly out of the door. I can't even figure out how it would come loose on that end!!!

I've never been able to get the rod on the lock cylinder side off without taking the lock cylinder loose and mostly out of the door. I can't even figure out how it would come loose on that end!!!
I think maybe someone removed it for painting and didn't hook it up ... guess I will be pulling the lock Thanks for your input.

It's not hard, remove the clip that holds the lock cylinder and pull it out, tipping it down so just the arm that contacts the rod is in, bring the rod up and work the cylinder onto the rod while then tip it up and into place while working it onto the last bend. I just did this a month ago when a car came back from the paint shop.

It's not hard, remove the clip that holds the lock cylinder and pull it out, tipping it down so just the arm that contacts the rod is in, bring the rod up and work the cylinder onto the rod while then tip it up and into place while working it onto the last bend. I just did this a month ago when a car came back from the paint shop.
Thanks will try it tomorrow

So , Thanks I got it in by taking out the lock now I realize I have more problems the key nor the lock button locks the door. So I will have to pull the latch and check it out. It looks like the piece that is supposed to stop the push button from opening the door is bent.Has anybody else had this problem? I guess once I have it out and on the bench I will be able to figure it out. Thanks

So, this may help someone else. I fixed my door lock. The metal piece (with that red grommet) that stops the door handle was bent out.
The picture shows the red grommet that has the rod that goes up to the lock "this does pull out".
I had to remove lower screw from the window rail and loosen the top 1. The back of the interior door handle has a lock nut that I had to remove to get the rod out but when reinstalling put the lock nut on first then the rod will snap in. I lubricated everything and will let you know when it is back together. Thanks

-
Back