1970 Tony Pony minibike.....Chrysler engine from factory

-

Mtrhead

Ace of Spades ♠️
Reaction score
The Cadillac of minibikes has a Chrysler engine....go figure...

il_fullxfull.3825411568_9huw.jpg

That engine looks like a McCullough, but at some point I thought Chrysler bought out West Bend. I had a Mc 101 on my Kart and it sure sang on a 76 Bug Wasp. I still have it, but put a Ghost HF engine on it. It's more for the Grandkids, but I enjoy it when there not here. The first one I ever saw was sold for $99 as a kit and 129 fully assembled. For a 13 year old kid that was almost a million dollars. So eventually I built my own with a 21/2 HP Clinton and years later bought a Blitz Kart and traded it for the Bug. Today even crummy karts bring in some serious money, because I'm always looking.

That's about 2300 bucks in today's money.

I have a World Karting manual from 1990 and no mention of Mc's or West bends. I know Mc was making chain saws later on but must have dropped out of the kart business. It seems like Briggs was the 4 cycle king and 2 cycles were mostly foreign engines, Komet, Parilli, Yamaha and others. And of course everything went hi tech with water cooling, gear boxes and computers. My pockets weren't that deep to get into the racing aspect of Karting. I did race my Bug with the Mc 101 and it was competitive till somebody ran me over. Time to look for a new hobby. By the way my 21/2 hp Clinton was only $25 on electronics row which was called that one time but was actually Canal St. in NYC, were you could buy almost anything electrical or mechanical including tools at good prices. Fake rolexes were always on sale there too.

Last edited:
@66fyssh is there a problem? Why did you disagree?

Nah, just a fat finger while scrolling. I removed it. Too bad those buttons aren't on the left.

I grew up on mini bikes. I love them!

You may remember pics I posted. One when I was 6 years old on a Sears model. One on a Honda Mini 50, and one on a Honda Trail 70. Then I moved to a Yamaha 125. Got caught riding on the street and dad sold it. Thats okay, not too long after I got my 72 Duster!!!

Nah, just a fat finger while scrolling. I removed it. Too bad those buttons aren't on the left.

You may remember pics I posted. One when I was 6 years old on a Sears model. One on a Honda Mini 50, and one on a Honda Trail 70. Then I moved to a Yamaha 125. Got caught riding on the street and dad sold it. Thats okay, not too long after I got my 72 Duster!!!
Thanks. I suggested the removal or reposition. May be more members need to speak up. A thumbs down isn't as in your face as a red X. It's like "you're a dumb ***" and not just a disagree.

Thanks. I suggested the removal or reposition. May be more members need to speak up. A thumbs down isn't as in your face as a red X. It's like "you're a dumb ***" and not just a disagree.

Lol. Yup. I agree. That X is nasty.

I'll start another thread on the website suggestions to help.

That is one badass minibike! Looks like a real functional swingarm and a jackshaft! I wonder if it was street legal?

That is one badass minibike! Looks like a real functional swingarm and a jackshaft! I wonder if it was street legal?
Front coils, lights, etc. adjustable handlebars, chrome fenders. Ya. It's the Chrysler Imperial of mini bikes.

As old as I am today they still tug at my heart.
Most of my carts/bikes were homemade with lawnmower parts and modified bicycle frames.
The rich kids rode Fox Campus models.The fast ones had Briggs & Stratton 5 Hp engines.
For us they were the holy grail. Local lawnmower shop sold the engines for $99.

That would definitely be the coolest pit bike around....

Chrysler also made a Snow Rabbit, single ski and track. I have a 78 Yamaha Chappy that my dad bought new

Penny's, Sears, Montgomery Ward catalogs were always open to the mini bike pages around our house.
For some reason the folks never got the point :BangHead: The Sears budget bike was $99 !
At 12 I earned enough cutting grass in the neighborhood and bought a used Fox from a neighbor who got a
Honda Mini Trail. The Fox cost me $30. Took all summer to raise that money.

I've got a mini bike I bought as a roller a few years ago. I 'think' it's a Lil Indian frame, but not sure. I have to repaint the back bumper and tailgate of my truck, so when I do that I'm gonna paint the mini bike with the same red paint. I don't suspect it will haul my fat butt around like the one I had as a kid, but it's still another reminder of the good ol days.

:thumbsup:

-
Back