-
Status
Not open for further replies.

72 340 DUSTER

Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Contact seller
these are a set of Factory heavy duty rods and rare factory std. bore piston out of a 1971 340. I have had them checked by D&D engines in Cincy Ohio and the told me they were good and very usable. the pistons have no scars or anything of that matter, and the rods and bolts are fine, rods are not bent or twisted, perfect to use in a true 340 rebuild. The pistons are a factory 10.5:1 with no block decking but if you deck your block to 0 deck hieght you can get 11:1 I guarantee these will be fine. all 8 cameout of the same good running engine that did not need to be rebuilt, i just wanted more power :cheers: I am asking $250 for them, i belive this is reasonable because i saw a set go for $350 on ebay, but i dont like ebay because they charge you to list items View attachment 100_0937.jpg

View attachment 100_0938.jpg

View attachment 100_0942.jpg

View attachment 100_0944.jpg

View attachment 100_0940.jpg

View attachment 100_0941.jpg

wow, and i was just thing of pulling my 72 340 apart to build it to factory 70-71 specs.

you better measure the compression height on those pistons...cause all the 10.5 factory piston i ever seen only had 2 valve reliefs...

the low compression pistons usually had 4 valve reliefs...

hight compression will be 1.84 inches from center of pin to top of pistons...low compression are about .100 less...0r 1.74 inches

I'm interested if 340plot does not take them.

It appears that the rod pins are installed with the clips?

Art

After reading 70aarcuda's comments I have to check up on it.

Wondering what the casting date of the 71 block is.

you better measure the compression height on those pistons...cause all the 10.5 factory piston i ever seen only had 2 valve reliefs...

the low compression pistons usually had 4 valve reliefs...

hight compression will be 1.84 inches from center of pin to top of pistons...low compression are about .100 less...0r 1.74 inches

I think you are correct............ those look like low compression pistons used in 73......

low compression pistons for sure, probably 8.2 to 1 if used with the standard .039 gasket. hi comp pistons had 2 valve reliefs.

all i know guys is these came out of a 71 block i donot remeber the exact date but i know it was 6 or june of 1971, but the block was painted blue, and i know that i had to run 93 octane in it otherwise it would ping, and that was with factory J heads, when i took it apart it was untouched original, so if you are still interested in them DFX 340 duster let me know

A block cast in June of 1971 was most likely for a 1972 application because the new model year began the first week of August. For example, my 1971 340 Duster was born on August 10, 1970 so it would have a block that was cast earlier than that date. I have read on another thread that the blocks were "seasoned" for a time after casting. The pistons look like they came after the 1971 model year. I am trying to put together a period correct 340 for my car since the original is long gone. I missed out on a standard bore correct block a few months back and I am currently negotiating a deal on another block that would need to go 0.30 over to clean up after being told it was standard bore. Now that I have learned what the correct pistons should look like, I will withdraw my interest at this time. I don't want to hold up any other offers you may have for your piston set.

well if this is true then all of my readings tell me in 72 they lowered compression to 9.5:1 so that would be the only difference, besides you cant run 10.5:1 on 93 pump gas unless you have aluminum heads, and you could deck ur existing block and get 10:1 which is the max for steel heads on 93 pump gas

While the '68-'71 were factory rated at 10.5:1 compression they were really only 9.5:1 the way they rolled out of the factory.

well if this is true then all of my readings tell me in 72 they lowered compression to 9.5:1 so that would be the only difference, besides you cant run 10.5:1 on 93 pump gas unless you have aluminum heads, and you could deck ur existing block and get 10:1 which is the max for steel heads on 93 pump gas

what if i told you im running 11.25cr with j heads on 93

Status
Not open for further replies.
-
Back