1971 Demon what's the Vote?

-
Find the money and get white letter tires!!
Oh....and I reckon the dark argent sombrero center caps are the way to go. Later acorn style ones.....errrk.

demon-insurance-010.jpg

actually you are correct, the performance cars had redline tires (pre70) to differentiate them from the non performance white walls. However due to redlines being unpractical with availability and price, I have seen a lot of performance cars with white wall replacements. I still don't think they look half bad, and are definitely different these days when everyone has the same thing everywhere you look.

View attachment 1715081308

that challenger is not a "performance" car.. flat hood, 14" rims and no v8 emblems.. its a 6 cyl or 318 car most likely.. equivalent to a modern day dart..:)..

Makes me wish I had photos of the Hemi 4 spd Challenger I helped put together in my youth. L60/275 x 15 on 10" rallys all inside the fenders. Wheels were cut and resectioned right there in the owner's shop. Just to make things all better, it had a Keith Black in it :rolleyes:. The night we took it to Van Nuys Blvd, wouldn't ya know it, I get the flu. It was hard to see all the peeps pointing and smiling while laying cross ways on the back seat:(

I feel B.F.Goodrich is taking advantage of the hobbyist by charging so much just for a RWL tire. They are on average 40 Bucks more each than the competition for the same size . They own the patent, so they have the right. But, They aren't worth an $160 bucks extra per set to me. And, I admit seeing so many Of them on cars of all makes doing something different more appealing. What is Interesting is back then(67-76) you didn't see them all over the place.There was a lot of competing styles. I always liked firestone wide Ovals, but Firestone is Interested only in selling them as a vintage tire. If Firestone sold them for 130-140 bucks then we would have more choices. Now the whites on the 68' Bullit Charger look right at home to me.

My Swinger had rallys on it when I got it but I didn't like them as much as steelies with caps. I knina wish I woulda put the letters out though.

Aug 2015(3).jpg

LS4.jpg

Swiss made Demons had Dunlop Radials (blackwall) on Rallye wheels out of factory in 1972.
Radials were mandatory in 1972 for 'fast' cars in Switzerland, because of many accidents caused by tire failure of diagonals on the 'Autobahn' (in the early 70s without speed limits...).

dodgedemon197tbs1i0k3oq-jpg.jpg

Export cars to Austria were equipped with white letters in 1971, and as far I know still in 1972:

i36147-jpg.jpg

I feel B.F.Goodrich is taking advantage of the hobbyist by charging so much just for a RWL tire. They are on average 40 Bucks more each than the competition for the same size . They own the patent, so they have the right.

Where did You get that from??? Many mfrs. made & make Raised White Letter tires, and Raised Outline White Letter tires, RWL/ROWL, if they owned a patent they would
certainly be charging licensing to competitors to use the process. Uniroyal/Goodrich were merged in the '80's?..late'70's?? And they were absorbed by Michelin in the late '90's
I believe....................anyway, paying license to BFG should raise the price of the competitions tire all other points the same, ...........

Where did You get that from??? Many mfrs. made & make Raised White Letter tires, and Raised Outline White Letter tires, RWL/ROWL, if they owned a patent they would
certainly be charging licensing to competitors to use the process. Uniroyal/Goodrich were merged in the '80's?..late'70's?? And they were absorbed by Michelin in the late '90's
I believe....................anyway, paying license to BFG should raise the price of the competitions tire all other points the same, ...........
The others RWL tires are not the same, and aren't allowed to be. BF Goodrich tires have the same style they had in 1970. I am ok with that, as I was around then. it is their design, but they are also more expensive than the competition. there is a reason for that.The patent for the exact style belongs to whoever owned Bf Goodrich. I am just not willing to pay for it. As are others I am sure.

Don't get me wrong, I like the style. just not that much.

I have see Demons with stripes, scoops and spoilers, even 340 insignia but under the hood is a 318 or leaning tower of power...which do you have??

I would go with wider tires in the back and definitely wider rims. The originals were too narrow in the first place, no matter what tire size is on them, that size rim is only good a 645 X 14 even a 695 X 14 deserves wider, a 225/60 15 on an 8 inch rim fits with no problem and does not look out of place.

The car came from out west, and is close to being an unrestored original. The car is an all original slant six Automatic. It has the original Interior, and the rubber flooring. Manual steering and brakes.

The car has barely 70k on it. Originally I was going to convert it over with a 68' 340 drivetrain, but it runs so good! With the hood down you can't hear it run. I also can't make it use gas it seems. So, I cruise with it, and use it in my job as well. I still like the Rallyes on the Demon though, so They are going on soon. I decided that if I really want to step on something, the GTS works fine.

-
Back