1971 dodge dart 400 big block QUESTIONS

-

71 Dart Swinger Special

mad mopar disease
Reaction score
Ok. So I have 76 or 77 (not sure exactly which) 400 big block that I am gonna put in my dart and I have a lot of ???'s I cant think of everything now but I will post them as I think of it. So as of now I am getting the motor completely rebuilt and I need know If a 70 big block engine wiring harness will fit a 71? So far thats all got but I will post A LOT more ???'s as I think of them.
Thanks everyone!!

I have the same basic plan, with a 383 I have (or 400 I would find) in my 75 Scamp.
You should spend some time here http://www.bigblockdart.com/
As far as your question about wiring harness - a slant six engine harness is the same as a big block engine harness....
What car is the 70 harness you have out of?

I don't have a harness yet but I was looking to get one but now that you mentioned it my car has a running 225 slant six but I'm pretty sure is has some shorts in it. That's why I was looking for a new one. I was lookig at this website www.herbsparts.com and they have a complete 1970 engine wiring harness for a big block and I wanted to know if it would fit my 71.

Thanks for the help!!

There is no factory big block engine harness for a 1970 Dart. I just used the /6 harness in my 70 swinger when I installed th small block that is in it now. I will do any modifications neccessary when I put my 400 in at a later date. I would just fix what you got.

Not sure if the harness will work from 70 to 71 but....you should drop the people at Herbs a line. I have bought parts from them for several different cars and they are very friendly and helpful.

Ok will do. I just thought of another question. So I am keeping the slant six K frame and I am going to use the S6 to B/RB motor mounts. Would I have to get a special oil pan? Or can notch the K frame? Or dent the stock pan a little bit to clear the K Frame? There will be plenty more questions as I think of them.

Thank you guys (or girls, not sure haha)!!!

A standard center sump pan will work #187 or #699.
If you're interested I have a brand new set of those conversion mounts that I'm not using.

Ted

Notch k-frame for oil pump clearance and the above mentioned pans for steering linkage clearance.

71 Dart Swinger: No harness needed, just mods and very simple ones. I would look at what Dusted74 has for sale. Mounts and Exhaust are the biggest money for this conversion. I may have a set of the Schumacker tri-ys for for sale not too long.

Also, I have am 8 3/4 housing from a B Body with new A Body mounts (perchs), would sale for $100 plus shipping, would guess about 40/50 for shipping

Where is grayslake? I have a housing, axles, backing plates and drums but shipping would be costly.

-
Back