1971 Dodge Dart GT

-

270dart

Reaction score
Looking at what the owner says is a 1971 Dodge Dart GT.

How many of these did they build; I have never seen one before.

Thanks,

270dart

I'm not sure how many were built but I know there are pretty rare. My friend has a 1970 dart gt slant six factory buckets pretty cool car. Dustin

I've only seen 3 of them in my life...since being into mopars since the 80's. I might have a book at home to look up production numbers for you- zap me a PM and remind me if no one beats me to it. for some reason I have it in my head they are a Canadian thing...maybe?

Looking at what the owner says is a 1971 Dodge Dart GT.

How many of these did they build; I have never seen one before.

Thanks,

270dart

I have a 1971 Dart GT (A65 required on fender tag). It is a 318, 2-bbl, bucket seats, console shifted A904, A/C, PS, RimBlo steering wheel, 8 3/4" 3.23:1 sure-grip, 10" drums all the way around. Also, the "DART GT" emblems on the lower rockers.

From the conversations I've had with Chrysler Historical there was a fire that destroyed many of their records. The gentleman I spoke with, said his best guess was about 1255 for 1971 (~1.3% of the ~96,000 cars built).

Does the vehicle you're speaking of have the fender tag or build sheet?

There was a member here, Bruce, who had a website dedicated to '70 & '71 Dart GTs. Unfortunately Bruce passed away and I believe the website is no longer active.

Attachments

• Dart GT Registry.jpg
    12.8 KB · Views: 296
How about the western sport special ??

I used to own a 69 WSS slant 6, B5 , white hat special. Automatic , PS, MB , no A/C , blue bench seat interior, rallye steering wheel.

Car was rust free texas car, should never have let it go.

Matt

I had one like DartGTDan said mine was blue with white interior it's the only one I have ever seen, I would still have it if I hadn't got hit in the right rear quarter.

they made just over 1,500 1971 dart gt. I had one same pacage as dartgtdan's but mine had k/h disk brakes and special order paint option in citron yella. benn looking for another for quite some time.

I have a 1971 Dart GT (A65 required on fender tag). It is a 318, 2-bbl, bucket seats, console shifted A904, A/C, PS, RimBlo steering wheel, 8 3/4" 3.23:1 sure-grip, 10" drums all the way around. Also, the "DART GT" emblems on the lower rockers.

From the conversations I've had with Chrysler Historical there was a fire that destroyed many of their records. The gentleman I spoke with, said his best guess was about 1255 for 1971 (~1.3% of the ~96,000 cars built).

Does the vehicle you're speaking of have the fender tag or build sheet?

There was a member here, Bruce, who had a website dedicated to '70 & '71 Dart GTs. Unfortunately Bruce passed away and I believe the website is no longer active.
I don't know who you spoke to at Chrysler Historical but there was never a fire. That's a myth that refuses to die. The main records that Historical held that contained information on specific cars were the shipping invoices. From somewhere in 1965 until almost 1972, a now ex-supervisor in the area where the records were held took it upon himself to have this information thrown out. It took that long for someone higher up to realize what this guy was doing, get him stopped and get him fired. Records before 196 5 exist. Records from 1973 and possible from 1972 should exist. Historical has all they can handle to deal with the inquiries they get as it as, which is why, even though they have the information, they will tell you they have no information on Canadian cars.

I don't know who you spoke to at Chrysler Historical but there was never a fire. That's a myth that refuses to die. The main records that Historical held that contained information on specific cars were the shipping invoices. From somewhere in 1965 until almost 1972, a now ex-supervisor in the area where the records were held took it upon himself to have this information thrown out. It took that long for someone higher up to realize what this guy was doing, get him stopped and get him fired. Records before 196 5 exist. Records from 1973 and possible from 1972 should exist. Historical has all they can handle to deal with the inquiries they get as it as, which is why, even though they have the information, they will tell you they have no information on Canadian cars

I do not recall the gentleman's name, but that was the information I received from him at that time (2003ish).

If new information is available that would be great! If you can find any more information please share.

I had a factory 1969 Dodge Dart Western sport special with 8 and 3/4 rear end 273 2 Barrel bucket seats automatic console kelsey Hayes disc....they told me these were the very last 273's used up in some of these WSS...had the 270 wide molding down side...I should have kept.....buckets with headrests....green with light green int....black vinyl top...that was what killed the car...roof rot

-
Back