[SOLD] 1971 Dodge Demon

-
Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Contact seller
1971 Dodge Demon. Original 340 / 4 speed car. Car was painted before I purchased and absolutely no rust on entire car (I would give the paintjob an 8). Underside has been completely re-done and painted, which includes: new brakes, brake lines, gas tank, gas lines, new leaf springs and rear has been gone through and I believe it has 3.73 gears. Interior has been sound deadened and have the two bucket seats, rear bench seat, steering column, headliner is installed, all glass in and windows work– all in good condition. Have many dash parts, but no wiring or gauges. Have door cards, arm rests and carpet, Demon stripe package and rear marker lights. Has power steering unit installed, have a wiper motor
Also included:
  • 71 340 motor that will need to be gone through. Has crank, all pistons and rods. Bores measure 4.070 and there is damage to one piston top, but bores appear to be ok.
  • Set of X heads
  • The original 4 speed transmission, bell housing and shifter.
No Fender tag, but has VIN and FL title. LM29H1B262941 The VIN has an H in it in 1971 noting a 340.

$17,500
Located in Merritt Island, Florida

I’ve attached a snapshot of sale prices of 1971 Demons over the past 12 months that include 42 cars – average sale price after taking out the 5% high and low is $38K. I estimate the car can be finished for $15K - $17K (less if you can do your own motor work. Bottom line you’ll have less in the car than what it’s worth

Available at an additional cost:

Set of Speedmaster PCE281 2151 assembled heads.

Edelbrock Victor 340 intake.

IMG_9487.jpg

IMG_9486.jpg

IMG_9485.jpg

IMG_9491.jpg

IMG_9489.jpg

IMG_9488.jpg

IMG_9495.jpg

IMG_9505.jpg

IMG_9498.jpg

IMG_9792.PNG

Last edited by a moderator:
In order to help clear up some confusion;

I thought from 1966 - 1975 (in the states) that ordering a 4 speed for a V-8 was not even an option
For the car on hand, a manual trans was an option, 3 or 4 spd with any engine available at the time.
Not really sure on the confusion. 4spd matches the Vin, Vin will indicate if 340.

Grant
This is what matters.

The base manual trans was a 3 spd, a 4 spd was also an available option.
The base engine was the /6. CID I’m not sure of, but IIRC, of the 3 CID /6’s that were made, by this time, the 170 was not an option.
The base V8 is the 318 with a 340 as an available option.

All options were a check of the box.

4 speed cars had a reverse light on the dash and 3 speed cars didn't. that's an easy way to I'd one if tender fag and build sheet isn't available.

Last edited by a moderator:
Looks great, from what I can see. How did the bumper look before you painted them?

Is that the original color? Does the motor include any gasket or ring set? What color is the strip set? Just to be clear there is no wiring harness for the gages? And the brakes you said you installed new lines. Did you change over from drums to disc? I would think the 71 would have drum brakes. 38 grand and atleast another 15 grand . That's about 55 grand. Thats more than the excellent condition car in your list which I'm guessing is an fully functioning working car and all parts are there along with a running motor.

Is that the original color? Does the motor include any gasket or ring set? What color is the strip set? Just to be clear there is no wiring harness for the gages? And the brakes you said you installed new lines. Did you change over from drums to disc? I would think the 71 would have drum brakes. 38 grand and atleast another 15 grand . That's about 55 grand. Thats more than the excellent condition car in your list which I'm guessing is an fully functioning working car and all parts are there along with a running motor.
I have not found any other color on the car, but can not absolutely confirm its the original color. Stripe kit is black, no wiring for the car, except the headlight wiring is in. When I purchased, disc up front, drum in the rear and all new brake lines on all 4 corners and up to the engine compartment
The motor will be rebuilt as it is torn apart now

Not sure where you are getting $38k + another $15k to finish it?

IMHO it always cost more to finish a car, than you think or estimate. Not too many Demons sale for some of the numbers posted. Yes, there are the one or 2 exceptions. Not trying to be negative. Good luck on the sale.
It usually does go over what you anticipate, but I've restored enough of these cars to know prices of parts and what is left, so I'm confident that I'm not too far off. You are right that there aren't many 340 / 4 speed original cars for sale, but as far as price, see below:
1971 to 1972 Dodge Demon for Sale on ClassicCars.com

Other than 1 rust bucket, none under $39K.

Also why I attached a copy of 71 Demons SOLD in the past 12 months. People can ask whatever price they want, but the buyers determine if the value is there.

I'm done justifying my price to everyone on here. I"ve lowered the price to 16K on Marketplace and will honor that here. For less than $40K (my price, plus what buyer spends to finish, which won't be more than $24K), you will have a $40K plus car.

So why wouldn't I just buy a nice complete car to start with?
If the body work has not been done yet ( don't remember here) at least you control and know what caliber of work is done.

I have had Mopars for sale and the prospective buyer asks me a good question " How did you arrive at the price you are asking?" I reply I find actual sold cars that are in MY area and comparable and then I ask MYSELF " what is this car worth TO ME!?" In the end, what is it worth to me? or am I gonning to sell the son of a gun one way or another!

I have had many Dusters, 1 Dodge Dart, and 1 FeatherDuster over the years but just one Demon, and it was a slant car and from about 2005 or 6. I love the taillites on the Demon but thats it. That Demon I sold back then I knew was special because they are so hard to find. It took a year to get $3500 out of it with a completely fresh engine, good driver and sold but needed paint and interior work. Hardly any internet back then, at least for ME! Just MCG. That was atleast 20 years ago! The couple that bought it from 50 miles away did so because thy had 1 Demon and wanted a mate for it!

Half done projects can be tough to sell, especially IF not a runner. And I have found that half done cars priced that high, people with $ will just go buy a done car, unless they feel they are getting a bargain worthy of their time and $ they have to spend on it.

I always want a car that if I decide to sell, I can price it at what I think is fair market and IF no one wants it, I can be happy keeping it my my herd. Thats just me.

What would you say is the quality of any bodywork that's been done?

If it's excellent, I think that's a great price.

Car is gone from local CL. IIRC it was there for about 2-3 weeks.

Likely sold at that price.

I was severely tempted and now have "non-buyers remorse".

I am going to close the ad. It looks like a seller that just stops by for a free ad.

Status
Not open for further replies.
-
Back