1971 Twister

-
Sorry to resurrect this older thread, but I am looking at a 71 Twister, with a slant. seems mostly original, but I don't understand the trim on the sides, was that an option? Also the wheel covers? Does $6000 seem sorta high? I do love the Slant. Thanks for your help guys.

View attachment 1715176414

You could always offer $4000 and see what he says. The worst he can say is no.

Sorry to resurrect this older thread, but I am looking at a 71 Twister, with a slant. seems mostly original, but I don't understand the trim on the sides, was that an option? Also the wheel covers? Does $6000 seem sorta high? I do love the Slant. Thanks for your help guys.

View attachment 1715176414
Should have A51 on the trim tag. The mirror looks like it is correct. Should have Rallye rims and a shark tooth grille.

body side molding was somewhat of a popular aftermarket item back in the day.

you should be able to tell if it's factory-

aftermarket is usually glued on
aftermarket is usually cut to length

factory usually has some holes in the body and some studs welded on
factory usually has a metal backing that is the correct length for the panel in question with rolled ends

...and the tag code

plus it's super easy to slap twister stripes on any Duster.
I've seen many.

Not even an option?

I put them on mine because I liked them.
But it wasn't part of the Twister deal , no trim rings.

Last edited:
I put them on mine because I liked them.
But it was part of the Twister deal , no trim rings.
Do you know the size depth , I want to replace mine little damaged in the end but I have found different size attached current size I don’t know if they are the original ones

C3A4D180-299E-4836-8B4C-B576C16A87D9.jpeg

DDE49E69-998A-4D72-B8BF-2821B0AB387B.jpeg

236BA3C3-3A5D-42B5-9966-14B1C0194273.jpeg

2C2C600F-7333-4C77-8164-A10D9B19D643.jpeg

C8164F69-285B-468A-A987-1147EE451C8A.jpeg

The fender tag would tell the tale. If it's V5X it had that trim that goes down the side of the car to deter dings. If it's V8X it has the longitude decal stripe. I don't believe you could order both together, I certainly have not seen one with both. Nice car btw. It should have the rallye wheels without the trim rings if it is a true "Twister"

My 73 340 dart sport is coded for both a stripe and the side molding. It was repainted at some time so I dont know if it ever had the stripe but the molding is still there. I wonder if the molding option deleted the stripe. It would sure look stupid with both.

Around 1992 I found a 71 twister that was wrecked. It was the strangest optioned car I had ever seen. Orange paint, orange seats, orange carpet and orange door panels. I think the sunvisors were even orange. It was a slant six car and had a sharks tooth grill. Sadly the grill was busted from the accident. That grill was my unicorn. I searched for many years and was never able to find one.
I wish I had pictures of this car. Twisters are not rare but that one had to be 1 of a few or 1 of 1.

I can't remember the exact depth ?
I'm pretty sure year one has the correct trim rings .

Twisters are "relatively" rare compared to all the non-340, non-Twisters sold.

My personal past experience also suggests manual transmissions are more common in Twisters than "regular" Dusters.

-
Back