1972 318 street build

-
Sorry to be disagreeable here, but that is not true. The anti-roll rate is set by the combination of the main springs AND any anti-roll bar. You can have more or less of either contributing to the overall roll spring rate. With no anti-sway bar, then 100% is set by the main springs.
Ahhhh, yes it is true.

The anti roll rate is indeed a combo of parts. Now go to your car and unbolt the sway bars. What you will feel around the turns (more extreme the better) is the body tilting over to a point and then the body lets loose even more. In two separate movements. If it is one movement, you went into the turn to aggressively. Reattach the sway bar and it should stay at a constant and limited roll.

The leaf springs job is divided into two purposes.
The rear sections job is to hold the car up. Period.
The front section of the lead spring is axle wrap up control. Period.
The torsion bars are designed as a up and down control device.
T bars replace coil springs.
And in this, a slight amount of body roll control is induced. It is not the main function of the T bars.

If such was the case, anti roll bars would not be needed or invented.

The example of the Porches has. Itching to do with the older suspension of American MoPars. Build the bridge connecting them as much as you want.....

Your goals of a stout driver are realistic IMHO. You can do good job close to your budget. I would:
  • Keep the stock stroke and crank, and rods
  • Get the compression ratio up with pistons like linked in post 17
  • Get some closed chamber 360 heads like the 308's and just fix them up well (guides, a good valve job), and not buy porting work beyond what you might try yourself
  • Keep the stock rockers and keep lift down to the .460-470"-ish range so the stock rockers won't be over stressed
  • Get a good intake (perhaps a stock cast iron one, or sprig for a better one) and decent 600-650 cfm carb
  • Headers for sure
I think you can stay close to that budget and still do things like a new oil pump, chain set, etc. It'll be a good running 318 with all of that.

Someone probably already beat me to this, but the 308 heads are open chamber. The 302 heads are closed chamber.

-
Back