1972 340 Duster

-

dmoore

NO IT'S NOT RESTORED
Reaction score
I finally found the time to post up pics & a short story of my latest acquisition, a 72 340 Duster, EW1 Spinakker White, it is coded with the following options, auto with a/c, tinted windows, black vinyl top, A88 interior décor group, upgraded interior, dual chrome racing mirrors, power front disk, power steering, rallye wheels w/Goodyear polyglas E-70 /14 RWL tires. The original spare is still in the trunk and has never been down. I purchased this vehicle back in August 2011 and have been doing a very light cosmetic & mechanical restoration since.

As some of you are aware I owned the low mileage 72 Lemon Twist 340 4-speed Duster. That car found a new caretaker back in March 2011 and presently resides down in Florida beside an extremely nice & low mileage Alpine White Hemi Superbird. After coming across my present car it was hard to pass up. As solid has the last, it drives, handles & presents itself just as well, in some cases better. Having only one complete single stage repaint in 1992 to 1972 standards. The following is a list of improvements I have completed in my short ownership. New Accurate exhaust system with correct chrome tips compliments of Dale’s Cuda shop, new correct boar grain black vinyl top, exhaust manifold mounting kit, positive & negative battery cables, correct spark plug wires, correct brake booster/master cylinder thanks to www.boosterdeweyexchange.com, new front seat covers with exception of buddy seat, (rear seat remains original), new sill plates, replacement of numerous incorrect fasteners, hoses & clamps. I rebuilt the original 6139 800 cfm Thermoquad carb, big improvement! Located and installed a NOS electronic ignition module, distributor cap & starter relay. Since I plan on driving this one, I mounted a new set of B.F. Goodrich radial T A’s for better handling & ride.

I was able to contact the original selling dealer, Martin Motors of Nashville Ga. (still in business) where Mr. Earl Smith, the original salesman of the car provided me with a few of the original dealership stickers that were placed on the new 72’s back then. Mr. Smith has been selling cars there since 1968 and continues today! Being a small town he remembers the car & the original owner who purchased the car almost 40 years ago! He also provided me with a few dealership photo’s & info about the car. I have contacted the original owner and I am presently awaiting a few original pics of the car when new.

Original paperwork with the car includes, mint original build sheet, original window sticker, original sales invoice showing trade –in, new car Pre-Delivery Service Inspection, IBM quality build card, IBM Electrical Build card, emissions booklet, warranty booklet, title, & original owners manual.

Hope you enjoy the pics & info! Dave

006.jpg

029.jpg

005.jpg

016-1.jpg

009.jpg

021.jpg

017.jpg

010.jpg

012.jpg

032.jpg

011.jpg

015.jpg

018.jpg

019.jpg

010-1.jpg

014-1.jpg

013.jpg

018-1.jpg

019-1.jpg

020.jpg

022.jpg

024.jpg

026.jpg

027.jpg

028.jpg

019-2.jpg

025.jpg

034.jpg

Beautiful looking Duster you got now Dave! I liked the yellow Duster you had but love this one more. What's really cool is the original salesman is still working at the same place after all these years!

What a beautiful car, thanks for sharing.....and contributing to our drooling on here.

You've done it again Dave. Awesome Duster!

Still trying to search back and find the original dealer and owner of my Demon. Getting closer I think.

Thanks guy's...I thought someone might like it......:-D...with 95,000 on this one it may get driven just a tad bit more! :burnout:

Yep, shes a BEAUTY! love the spinnaker white....My first car was a '72 Duster in the same color but it had the 6 cyl...Oh, how I wanted to put a 340 in it! Great find!

They are original once.
Super nice.

WOW it looks like its been sitting in a showroom for the last 39 years.

Thanks guy's...I thought someone might like it......:-D...with 95,000 on this one it may get driven just a tad bit more! :burnout:

car is just breath taking...if you don't get time to drive it a tad bit more...call me..I'lll gladly drive it for ya for a few miles....:burnout:

Dave ---

Great car, enjoy!

I remember this car - was this the same car that was in Grand Rapids area of Michigan, and the owner also had a very nice original Scamp?

I spoke to the Michigan owner about 2 years ago, very nice - honest guy too.

I also hope your Lemon Twist 4 speed original '72 has a great new home!

Take care,
Stew

Hey Stew! The very same.........actually he lives in Battle Creek.....very nice guy! One of the best transaction's to say the least..... And yes the yella car is in very good hands.....my guess is you haven't seen the last of her.....;);) Dave

I was through your town today Dave and had to think about your Duster. Sure would have been nice to see and meet you in person,but wanted to get home after making deliveries in eastern N.Carolina.

-
Back