1972 Dart Headliner board install.

-

swingingdart

Reaction score
So, I bought an uncovered headliner board from Rock auto. (cheapest place I could find) my plan was to paint it, and install it as is. The board I took out of the car was just cardboard with a painted surface. So I thought I could just paint this one and be good to go. After getting it, I found it does have some texture to it which is cool, I really didn't want it to be smooth. After receiving the sail panels however, they are thicker and made out of some form of fiber board. I'm not sure if painting them will look good. Has anyone else dealt with this? Am I going to have to put fabric on my headliner? and if so, the foam backed fabric?
Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Whatever you decide to do put insulation like hush mat or some other brand up first made a big difference in my 72

So, I bought an uncovered headliner board from Rock auto. (cheapest place I could find) my plan was to paint it, and install it as is. The board I took out of the car was just cardboard with a painted surface. So I thought I could just paint this one and be good to go. After getting it, I found it does have some texture to it which is cool, I really didn't want it to be smooth. After receiving the sail panels however, they are thicker and made out of some form of fiber board. I'm not sure if painting them will look good. Has anyone else dealt with this? Am I going to have to put fabric on my headliner? and if so, the foam backed fabric?
Any help would be greatly appreciated!

I used 1/8 Foam Backed material and 3M Super 90 do upholster mine, which was in really rough shape. There are some pictures in my build thread. The big thing is relaxing the wrinkles out first since it doesn't stretch like you might think the first time you do it, at least for me. I know our sail panels are different, but I painted mine and used the same 1/8 material for my package tray and I think it tied it all together ok.

I used 1/8 Foam Backed material and 3M Super 90 do upholster mine, which was in really rough shape. There are some pictures in my build thread. The big thing is relaxing the wrinkles out first since it doesn't stretch like you might think the first time you do it, at least for me. I know our sail panels are different, but I painted mine and used the same 1/8 material for my package tray and I think it tied it all together ok.
Would you be willing to post a close up picture of where the headliner board goes to the sail panels? I'd really appreciate it!

I thought 73 was the first year for the cardboard headliner. My first car was a 72 and it had the fabric headliner.
On my 73 swinger I wrapped the original cardboard in vinyl. I also did the sail panels with it.
Here is a pic of the sail panels. Note the extra flat to help cover where the package tray does not cover.

20190409_170749.jpg

20190410_175218.jpg

I thought 73 was the first year for the cardboard headliner. My first car was a 72 and it had the fabric headliner.
On my 73 swinger I wrapped the original cardboard in vinyl. I also did the sail panels with it.
Here is a pic of the sail panels. Note the extra flat to help cover where the package tray does not cover.

View attachment 1715365772

View attachment 1715365773
I've heard that 73 was the first year, but I've owned two 72s with the board type. Late year cars? Thanks for the pics guys! I'll be sure to post mine when its done!!

Never seen a 72 with them myself. Guess it was a late year running change. That being said, 73's have provisions to install a cloth headliner if you want to change over. At lease mine does. It has the bow holes and the "teeth" above both windows.

Never seen a 72 with them myself. Guess it was a late year running change. That being said, 73's have provisions to install a cloth headliner if you want to change over. At lease mine does. It has the bow holes and the "teeth" above both windows.
My 72 has those as well, its nice to have the option!

My 72 is board

Well I made a trip to the local hobby lobby. Found the foam backed headliner material. The color closest to mine was a tan, but I really want the cream color. Soni thought heck, I've seen people spray paint fabric, I'll just do that! Well, got it home and tried spraying a few sample pieces. Seems to leave it kind of rough and crispy. I did see some foux leather material there that was the right color, but wasn't sure if I could get that wrinkle free. Might go back for it.

Just wanted to give an update, I'll keep y'all posted!

I ordered my headliner material on amazon and there was a huge color selection- if you want to try spraying it try the Duplicolor spray on dye. I’ve had great luck with that. Just lots of light coats.

The alligator grain vinyl I put on my headliner board was really thick but it layed out perfect with no wrinkles. I honestly did not think it was going to work. Wal-Mart sells various types of vinyl too. I got my sail panel board vinyl from there and the headliner vinyl from Jo-Annes fabrics.

If you need to work out a wrinkle, do it before you adhere it, don’t try to stretch it out. I applied heat to the top with a heat gun and pressure from the bottom with my hand. Also, when smoothing it out after you have your adhesive down, too much pressure isn’t good. I used a light touch with a sponge.

16B20380-49DD-4632-ADDC-74C6BAA619CD.jpeg

The alligator grain vinyl I put on my headliner board was really thick but it layed out perfect with no wrinkles. I honestly did not think it was going to work. Wal-Mart sells various types of vinyl too. I got my sail panel board vinyl from there and the headliner vinyl from Jo-Annes fabrics.
Gosh you really got me thinking about that foax leather stuff! Would look so cool, I guess I'll see how well this foam backed fabric does since I already spent the money.....

Okay, I'm getting things lined up to apply the foam backed fabric to the board this weekend, I have another stupid question. There are slits in the board at each corner, do I cut the fabric to have these slits as well, or do I cover the borads slits? (I hope this makes sense!)

Okay, I'm getting things lined up to apply the foam backed fabric to the board this weekend, I have another stupid question. There are slits in the board at each corner, do I cut the fabric to have these slits as well, or do I cover the borads slits? (I hope this makes sense!)

For me, that was one of the trickiest parts. If you flatten all those flaps out before you adhere your fabric, when you press it up into the roof, it will have a crease, but if you glue the fabric with flaps folded in too tight, you can run into an issue keeping the headliner in the trim (which happened on my passenger side A-Pillar). You have to get it the fabric glued down in roughly the shape when installed to avoid a crease in those spots.

For me, that was one of the trickiest parts. If you flatten all those flaps out before you adhere your fabric, when you press it up into the roof, it will have a crease, but if you glue the fabric with flaps folded in too tight, you can run into an issue keeping the headliner in the trim (which happened on my passenger side A-Pillar). You have to get it the fabric glued down in roughly the shape when installed to avoid a crease in those spots.
Okay, so sounds like I need to form the board to be in the shape it will be when installed. And dont but the slits in the fabric to match the headliner. Fabric will cover the slits in the board. Sound right?

Yep! And if you are doing it alone try using a few strips of Gorilla Tape to hold the flaps in there shape while covering it. I even installed it with them in place. Figured it was extra sound deadener (and I kind of forgot!)

Also, make sure you poke your holes through from the back side of the headliner once it sets up before the install. It can be a bear finding them if you don't.

-
Back