1972 Dart Swinger...testing the waters, so to speak...

-
Status
Not open for further replies.

metallidart

member me?
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Contact seller
I'm contemplating parting with my 1972 Dart that I've had for almost 15 years. Its the one in my avatar, and there are some pics of it on my profile pics. Its my first car, and I hate to get rid of it, but, I made a dumb decision and I think I need to fix it. A few years ago, I was laid off, a so called "friend" ripped me off (he was renting a room, bad check, stuff bounced, I was screwed), and I had a choice of losing my house, or selling my Dart and keeping my house. I kept my Dart, and I kind of kick my self for it, because I don't have a garage or anything anymore, and its kind of hard to do bodywork without one. So, here are the details.

1972 Dodge Dart Swinger, originally a slant 6/auto/7 1/4. F3 Green/black vinyl/houndstooth. Column shift, power disc brakes, power steering, A/C were all original to this car.

I have converted it to manual steering, with a mancini adapter. The entire front end is new, and I have all the parts to convert it to big bolt pattern. I replaced every bushing with polygraphite bushings, new MP 340 resto t-bars, stainless brake lines, rebuilt the 4-piston calipers, NEW master cylinder, hoses, clips, etc. The rear is an 8 3/4 489 case with 3.23 sure-grip and the big yoke. It has the bell drums, all new brakes, SS springs, new shackles, etc. Everything underneath the car was either replaced or refurbished, and the underbody was coated with por-15 and body color paint. I replaced the spare tire well, and patched (not replaced) a section on each truck extension. Other than that, there was barely any rust underneath.

The body is in primer, I lost my garage so I could't finish it. I sold the scoops that are in the picture for money for my kids b-day. It has an NOS grill, taillights, and drivers quarter panel. The bumpers have been rechromed, a nice sport mirror, all of the chrome is in decent shape. Its sitting outside, and primer hates moisture, so it has some surface rust starting, and I need to paint the inside of the trunk from surface rust from a leaky seal. No holes or weak spots tho. I have two extra doors for it, and there is a 3x3" square that needs welded on the passenger side quarter behind the wheelwell.

The interior is really nice, although the houndstooth on the drivers side is getting worn (not bad). New carpet, and new Infinity Kappa 6x9 speakers. It is as nice as the pics look.

The engine is a late 73' coded 360 with 41K miles. Still like new, so I put in a melling HV oil pump, new pickup, new/old crane cam with .460/.450, 224/232 @ .050, 280/288 adv cam/lifters/matching crane springs, pocket ported the 587 heads, LD340 intake, carter afb 750, and Hooker Super Comp 1 3/4 headers (hence the manual steering swap).

The Trans is a mid 70's 904 that was rebuilt about 500 miles ago, with a 3200 stall and deep mp steel pan. It has the 3-pc kickdown.

I've done so much to this car its hard to list everything. I never intended on selling it, so I always kept the best parts I could find for myself.

I'm in Lisbon, OH. I don't even know what to ask for it. What do you guys think? I can deal with criticism lol, so throw it at me. I don't have to get rid of it, just tossing the idea around. I know if it was painted, I'd get ALOT more, but that usually requires a garage, and I can't have a garage unless I sell it...a stupid, vicious circle. Here are some pics....
10-16-09022-1.jpg
P1010036-1.jpg
dart1-1.jpg

under3-1.jpg

I'm laid off right now, I've been trying to find a job around this area but there isn't really anything that pays more than my unemployment lol. I'm going to go back to school asap, to be an LPN (no shortage of jobs in the medical field!). I just keep tossing the idea around, maybe I'm getting burned out on it. Thanks! Maybe more opinions like yours will get me to just keep it and stick it out.

I know times are tight and id hate to put a price on this. Darts needing work dont seem to be saleing well ( or anything else for that matter). So much for Obama saving us all. If you can ride out the economy or youll regret it. I have priced my 69 barracuda to a few people but havent really tried cause i wont give it away. Lots of people are at the piont they have to take a loss and thats a shame. And more than ever buyers are looking for unreal deals. Try to keep it if at all possible. BUT if it makes you feel better i did search lisbon and found out your about 8hrs away. I would love to have another dart. I sold my project last year because i didnt think i could get to it. Good luck

It is a nice car,but the economy is bad now,as you have already noticed.You will not get what you want,or deserve for the work youve done already and the parts youve put on it.If you are burned out on it,park it for a while,get a big tarp,big enough to drive the car on and then wrap all the way around it.You will in a few month or a year get the bug again,if not,maybe the economy will have turned around some and youll have a job by then.I went through what you are going through back in the summer,and i know it sucks.I prayed about it everynight,and now i have my dream job,making good money aon a decent week,and just paying the bills on the bad weeks.Either way,its better than what ive ever had,in terms of jobs.I happen to know some other members here on fabo who have gone through the same things this year,and now they are much better off than they were before.I vote you keep it!

If you can keep it, do it. thats a nice solid car you have any you wouldn't get even close to what it's worth.

With the quality of the work you have done so far I would think you can do a killer paintjob on it in a sandstorm!!! everything you have done look's awesome I'd hate to see ya sell it. I'll have to second toby's motion for ya to keep it and finish it.while were on the subject of tarp's you can make a decent temporary spray booth with those tarp's

Thanks everyone...looks like the consensus says I should keep it. I just hate being broke!! And thanks waggin, I have been thinking about the portable-type tarp garages, or making my own. Would you believe I did the underneath of the car ten years ago, in my parents gravel driveway? It was a looooong summer. Instead of partying when I graduated, I worked two jobs to build the car.

Yes I'd believe that,back when I was younger I missed a bunch of good parties while I was workin on my car or going to dragstrip's or hangin around the body shop that let me hang out and learn as I go.I have painted many a car in backyard shop or tarp paintbooth's and got great results.Here is a link to the first one I did in a real paintbooth,I have had similar results in a tarp paintbooth out in the yard [http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=82181 look for some odd job's to keep the bill's paid and a few for "car money" I havent been able to find steady paycheck job in 2 years but the bill's are still paid and a lil' here and there to play "car" Keep at it you got some talent and an eye for quality workquote=metallidart;748376]Thanks everyone...looks like the consensus says I should keep it. I just hate being broke!! And thanks waggin, I have been thinking about the portable-type tarp garages, or making my own. Would you believe I did the underneath of the car ten years ago, in my parents gravel driveway? It was a looooong summer. Instead of partying when I graduated, I worked two jobs to build the car.[/quote]

Holy crap! Just seeing that makes me not feel so burnt out, that looks REALLY good! I also have a 66 Valiant that I could sell, but I have to replace a subframe first. Thanks again for the compliments, it really does make me feel good to have what I did noticed by someone(s) who do such quality work as you!

Hey valiant422...I'm really curious! You live in Indiana...I'm guessing Indy? My mom lives just north of Indianapolis and I'll be visiting there here in a few weeks.

I'm still not sure...I know I have alot of time in it that is worth nothing in the resell, and I know I have a ton of cash in it...I'm really not sure what its worth at this point...

I'm contemplating parting with my 1972 Dart that I've had for almost 15 years

I had a choice of losing my house, or selling my Dart and keeping my house. I kept my Dart

I think you've already answered the question...If you were willing to lose your house before, why wouldn't you keep the Dart now?

It won't bring in the $$$ you want, perhaps another way will present itself.

Seal that primer, get that motor in and DRIVE IT!

(Now, I wish I could take my own advice:axe:)

burg

burgmopar, you are right! I have a finished engine, trans, etc, I need to put it together. As soon as the weather lets me, I'll do it, and then bring it closer to where I'm staying (its about 20 minutes away right now) and I'll do the bodywork. I think I just want to be able to wash and wax it, not just spray it off and shine the chrome. Wax sucks on primer.

I was just thinking about my kids, how it would be easier on them if I sold it and could use it as a down payment on a house. But, I forget sometimes how much they have helped me on it (my daughter is 7 and my son is 8) and they always talk about it. I could care less about the house my parents had, but I always loved talking about my dad's car (a 72' Buick Skylark Custom). So, maybe I'll start a resto thread soon on my Dart?

Status
Not open for further replies.
-
Back