1972 Dodge Colt

-
There is a Winston sign I see. They left in 2001. Thanks for the info, more history.

Last edited:
Bellhousing work today. My mocked up crank even though it had a pilot bushing was not drilled deep enough to let the main shaft fit in the register. So I had to drill and grind but it all fits together. Now to start drilling the block plate.
IMG_0272.JPG
IMG_0270.JPG
IMG_0274.JPG

Got the bell housing mounting almost complete. Only starter to fit now.
Flywheel resurfaced, McLeod disk, green cover DC plate.
Going to use a Hydr. throwout bearing system.
I am going to roll all this under the frame rails and start fitting to mid-plate and front mounts.
This was a big challenge to get to this point, but the 440 bell was much easier that a 340.
IMG_0285.JPG
IMG_0288.JPG

I’m going to be up half the night now looking at that setup you’ve got to get the alignment trued in. That doesn’t look like your first rodeo, lol!

Garrett, yea a slant makes it harder for sure, 30 degrees, so I used strings for a visual check.

Kursplat, yes, but a Hemi Lenco can't be any shorter.
See these pictures:
CarltonWindTunnelIII.jpg
Construction.jpg

It was a great day today. I started this morning doing some internet searches and by days end I had located and TALKED to the last two folks I was looking for who raced my Colt. Donn Patrick, one of the Patrick Brothers raced the Colt in the late 70's he was a partner with Tom Kocanda. Donn won A/MP in 1978 at Indy with his Hemi Barracuda. He sold that car to Dave Wren, another Mopar racer. Bob Cope bought my Colt from Kocanda around 1981 with the 396 De-stroked Hemi. He installed a TorqueFlight and raced the car for a few years. Sold it and bought a street roadster. I was so fortunate to find both of these guys, that they are still healthy and remember the Colt from so long ago. So this closes the loop and every living person who built or raced my Colt I have found and talked to. For a car built in 1973 I now have the complete history from the folks who raced and owned the car. It was a good day!
Tom Kocanda 00.JPG

Been working on the Lancer, but with all these virus issues, I don't think I will be going to any shows/races with it anytime soon. So I am going back to the Colt. I have a lot of small projects going on at the same time right now. I will start posting some of the progress as I get them worked on. In the mean time I got a picture from one of the previous owners on the car on the track in Oregon I think.
View attachment 1715498006
I recognize that Woodburn tower anywhere! We could go and stand on the roof and watch. Love the car and build. Always wanted an early Colt!

On the detective work, it's easy when you talk to people who love a car and it's not about the money or some super rare expensive part you want to buy. Just knowing where these people last lived and doing some internet searches and being lucky. What is working against any search is time, folks pass away, memories fade and poof the trail ends. The only real hole in this car's history is when it was in Kansas City for 3 or 4 years. The story is that it was in a KC auto show and won an award. Can't find anything about that. And exactly why didn't it race when the original purchaser had it finished. I know the fabricator who installed the Hemi and got it all together. I know how it got from the OP to the first racer. A few other details are missing but they are minor, maybe time will bring that info out.

Bill, on paint, I would go back to the original candy green and pearl white in a NY minute! That paint job followed the Colt body lines and it would tie it back to history. I have found some of the original paint in a few places. You just have to look for it. This paint job, while in GREAT shape, I don't think does the little car any favors. But paint will be last. After it's on the track.

Thank you guys for the comments and following my snail pace build. I have the block between the rails now figuring the mid plate, pan, intake clearance today.

Bob Cope the last man I found has been super nice, he dug out some photos and sent them to me today. That is a proud man next to his Hemi Colt!

Bob Cope 02.JPG

On the detective work, it's easy when you talk to people who love a car and it's not about the money or some super rare expensive part you want to buy. Just knowing where these people last lived and doing some internet searches and being lucky. What is working against any search is time, folks pass away, memories fade and poof the trail ends. The only real hole in this car's history is when it was in Kansas City for 3 or 4 years. The story is that it was in a KC auto show and won an award. Can't find anything about that. And exactly why didn't it race when the original purchaser had it finished. I know the fabricator who installed the Hemi and got it all together. I know how it got from the OP to the first racer. A few other details are missing but they are minor, maybe time will bring that info out.

Bill, on paint, I would go back to the original candy green and pearl white in a NY minute! That paint job followed the Colt body lines and it would tie it back to history. I have found some of the original paint in a few places. You just have to look for it. This paint job, while in GREAT shape, I don't think does the little car any favors. But paint will be last. After it's on the track.

Thank you guys for the comments and following my snail pace build. I have the block between the rails now figuring the mid plate, pan, intake clearance today.

Bob Cope the last man I found has been super nice, he dug out some photos and sent them to me today. That is a proud man next to his Hemi Colt!

View attachment 1715512435

That’s when I remember the car. At some point, he went to a rat roster intake, but I just love the TR and magneto.

Yea, I like there is someone in the drivers seat holding the wheel. Going Vrooom, Vrooom!

Took a short break from the motor mounting, I have a plan, just want to think twice so I don't screw up once!
Polished the wheelie bars, these are not the original bars that Mr. Hardy put on the car. These are think are from the 80's during the 3rd owners modifications. Still in good shape, but I need to re-chrome the caster mounts to make them perfect. But these will do for now. Lots of chrome and Mothers polish to get back to decent.
IMG_0307.JPG
IMG_0309.JPG

Stan, instead of rechroming why don't you powder coat them? It is more durable & will probably last a lot longer. BTW, those are the same bars I'm putting on the Demon before the first pass with the new 416 stroker motor.

-
Back