1972 Dodge Colt

-
It's too much. And with my Lakewood I can run the 10.5 clutch and flywheel combo. And the bell hangs from the mid mount and it's two piece so I can change the clutch by sliding the trans back, doesn't have to come out. And as you said when the Lenco comes, I will just fit it to the bell.

Yep, 11 or 10.5 clutch. I did a 340 bell on my last slant and the bolts lay on top of each other. I had to do a few countersunk allen head bolts and other games to make it work. This "should" be easier! Famous last words.
SlantWebersLakewood2.jpg
SlantWebersLakewood2.jpg
IMG_0255.JPG

Yep, 11 or 10.5 clutch. I did a 340 bell on my last slant and the bolts lay on top of each other. I had to do a few countersunk allen head bolts and other games to make it work. This "should" be easier! Famous last words.
View attachment 1715425766 View attachment 1715425766 View attachment 1715425767

I'd skip the 11 inch clutch. You don't need it. I'd get a 10 inch Long and sintered iron clutch and be done with it. You already have the can with the nice big window in it.

Skip the rest of that stuff.

Just saying the bellhousing is dual drilled for both starter locations. I am going to run the 130 tooth flywheel.

Just saying the bellhousing is dual drilled for both starter locations. I am going to run the 130 tooth flywheel.

The 130 tooth flywheel is fine. But you can now get a Long style pressure plate in 10 inch (and maybe 10.5 now I haven't checked in a while) and that's all you need. The Long style plate is easier to be made to be adjustable. And that's really what you want...that and a sintered iron disc.

I have been working on the front suspension. I ordered Wilwood Mustang II spindles. After I removed the spindles on the car I found out the lower and upper ball joints are much smaller than the Wilwood spindle. I found an upper joint I think will work and it's on order. Not sure if I have found the correct one for the bottom joint. It looks like I have a Vega front A Arm. Looks like a custom Pinto style control arm on the bottom. Mr. Hardy told me the spindle was a custom Strange item. Strange has no data on parts this old. So I am buying some parts and seeing how it goes together. I should have purchased a Strut front end with brakes and just cut this stuff off, but I can't get myself to cut this car up if I don't have to. We shall see.
IMG_0295.JPG
IMG_0545.JPG

Last edited:
Lots of head scratching but not much progress. Ball joints from Speedway would not work for me. Upper fit the spindle, but it was to large to install in my upper control arm. Lower did not fit spindle at all. So I am returning the ball joints and the Spindles. There is no way I can see how to use any new stuff on what I have.
SO the plan now is to check Strange, they have a 10 inch rotor hat listed for Spindle Mount wheels. I will see if they have a Caliper they recommend for the Rotor and then see about fabricating mounts to my aluminum spindle.
I did find a date code on the front Koni shocks, 1-73. So that matches the build date on the chassis.
Still working on assembling the transmissions while waiting on parts.

Lots of head scratching but not much progress. Ball joints from Speedway would not work for me. Upper fit the spindle, but it was to large to install in my upper control arm. Lower did not fit spindle at all. So I am returning the ball joints and the Spindles. There is no way I can see how to use any new stuff on what I have.
SO the plan now is to check Strange, they have a 10 inch rotor hat listed for Spindle Mount wheels. I will see if they have a Caliper they recommend for the Rotor and then see about fabricating mounts to my aluminum spindle.
I did find a date code on the front Koni shocks, 1-73. So that matches the build date on the chassis.
Still working on assembling the transmissions while waiting on parts.

Did you ever find Bob Cope?

One of the rotors came this weekend. Perfect! It's going too allow me to go ahead and just use what I have till I can fabricate a mount for the Strange calipers. I am slightly pissed I have worked a while down this rabbit hole. At first Strange told me they didn't have what I needed, but after talking with one of the tech guys I got what I need. And these new parts are so much better than what was on the car. Now to find some Airheart pads and put it all back together.

IMG_0574.JPG

Hi Stan,
Finally had a chance to check on your latest Colt!
I'm sure it will turn out like all the others you have built.

Maybe someday I will have something to race that Colt...20 second dial in, of course!

Merry Christmas!
burg

Thanks Burg, you are too kind.
It's been my long dream to have this car or any Colt on the track.
When I bring it east, we will make sure to run a couple down the track together!
Can't be any worse that that 21 I strapped on Mark in Tulsa!

Working on the calipers now. I think I found a snowmobile caliper to get some parts from on the interweb, we will see. I ordered rebuild kits from Strange for a single piston caliper and they are no where close! Never seen a design like this. But the outer half sections cleaned up good and the pistons are not stuck, so with a correct o-ring and some luck on the wafer I should be able to use them for a while. I can't get Strange to find the design document on their caliper slider, if I can I will see about adapting their system to my spindles.
IMG_0002.JPG
IMG_0611.JPG

Worked on the hood a little, mounted a couple of Dzus buttons. I need to go over to Summit and get some more .5 reach buttons. I have .375 reach here.
IMG_0037 (2).JPG

Hood mounted, had to order the Dzus buttons I needed, but that job is done.
Built the first transmission, 2.47 first gear set. Nothing trick, just a starting transmission.
I have a 2.66 gear set going in the second transmission, that will be in the all aluminum case.
Plan on testing which one ET's better.
IMG_0052 (2).JPG

Trans
IMG_0050.JPG

Been working at it, just not doing very well. I have my last 1/2 marathon to run next week, but sinus infections and cold weather are not doing me any favors. Oh well, still alive and blessed.
Here are latest progress photos. All aluminum transmission going together just to make sure it works and then I tear it down, ship the main case to Liberty for steel counter-shaft bushings front and rear. This is a 2.66 first gear set. 30 spline output shaft.
IMG_0104.JPG

This is what a 130 tooth flywheel looks like inside a slant aluminum bell-housing. No room!
This is a flywheel I just got back, had it built by McLeod years ago. It is a 10.5 pattern on a steel 30 lbs. billet blank. Has a 225 crank pattern for the early crank register. Needs a light resurface and it will be ready. Thanks slant6racer.
IMG_0106.JPG

Last picture, Tilton starter, no nose support, the "secret" to making the custom bell-housing work on the slant.
IMG_0105.JPG

Stan, how are the front caliper rebuilds going? They look like miniature Airhart calipers. How about pads? Are those available?
Are both transmissions fine spline? Slick-shift or face-plated? Are those his/her glasses on the table? I've been without glasses
since after high school but now the mid-range sight is bad. Trying to read labels on cartons from the forklift just isn't happening
anymore. Ah, it's just bad lighting! Bob

They are K-H 400H. I think Hurst Airheart bought them, but can't find parts for them either. I bought new pads and O-rings from Speedway, just have to assemble them and reinstall. Changing all the bolts and nuts on the front suspension.
Both trans are fine spline, not slick shifted, Yet! Going to get it on the track before I faceplate them.
Yes, regular and 2x glasses to see. 65 year old eyes need some help!
Thanks for following the build.

Yea I have seen that car. When the wife wins the lottery I will get a 426 and make a show car out of it! Till then just a little slant will do me fine!

Been working on the Lancer, but with all these virus issues, I don't think I will be going to any shows/races with it anytime soon. So I am going back to the Colt. I have a lot of small projects going on at the same time right now. I will start posting some of the progress as I get them worked on. In the mean time I got a picture from one of the previous owners on the car on the track in Oregon I think.
John Witezel 2C.JPG

Been working on the Lancer, but with all these virus issues, I don't think I will be going to any shows/races with it anytime soon. So I am going back to the Colt. I have a lot of small projects going on at the same time right now. I will start posting some of the progress as I get them worked on. In the mean time I got a picture from one of the previous owners on the car on the track in Oregon I think.
View attachment 1715498006
Woodburn..

-
Back