1972 Dodge Colt

-
Thanks Garrett, it ran Cragar Super Tricks in the 70's. So if I put another wheel on it, it will have to be something like that.
Tom Kocandra.JPG

Another good Friday, I seem to be having a series of good Fridays. I spoke to Tom Kocanda today. He purchased this car from Richard Starkey in the late 70's less engine and transmission. He made the first drag runs with the car. It said he loved the car, always went "arrow" straight and was a joy to drive. He and his partner ran a few different Hemi's, last one was a 366 motor. It broke on the second run and then he sold the car. He is a great guy to talk with, just age and costs drove him out of the sport. Then I spoke to the guy I bought the car from and he filled in a few blank areas. He had the car for around 3 years, so I have about 35 years missing in it's history. From what I am hearing, it sat in a garage for most of those years. The hunt continues.

Less you think I haven't been working, you could not be wronger! Been working on the front end stuff, these brakes are just in bad shape. I am thinking about new spindles and rotors and then changing the wheels to a set of centerlines I have. Spoke to the fiberglass hood company today, oh we don't have the extended hood mold anymore, Damn it, when were you going to tell me, you had the order for over a month! You charged my credit card right away didn't you. Thank goodness I have a line on a used hood so I think that will be my plan B. I am just so tired of dealing with people who don't produce, I do not have time or patience for that anymore. Been fitting the bellhousing to my aluminum block. Still looking for history between 1982ish to 2015.

IMG_0255.JPG

You going to run that aluminum block? Is that a 170 or a 225?

It's a 225. You can't get a lot out of the aluminum block because of the top of the bores are open and they move around. The head gasket is not the best for wear and tear. It's hard to find and expensive. Folks have filled the block, defeats the weight savings of aluminum. Also seen the top surface welded up to make a solid deck. That is expensive and not sure I want to do it. I am going to run my cast iron block to start. Thanks Garrett.

Hey, thank you for taking the time posting all this stuff! I figure if one had the cubic dollars, machining the block for Darton or Axtell siamesed sleeves and pouring the open deck full of molten aluminum around them would be a good start for a billet hemi head alcohol burner. It's akin to reinventing the wheel but would be worth doing just because of the cool factor.

Weekend progress.
Crank in block 1 to get the trans lined up and start the BH fitting.
Block 2 in the car, this is a big moment for me, years of dreaming about a Slant Colt and today there is a slant sitting there. It's happening....
IMG_0278.JPG
IMG_0280.JPG
IMG_0281.JPG
IMG_0282.JPG

Got an email today that filled in the last history on my little Colt.
Here it is from day one.
The car is delivered to Don Hardy Race Cars in Floydada Texas.
A semi completed roller car is delivered to Gary Emig in Kansas City Kansas.
Gary installs a Milodon aluminum Hemi and Lenco trans in the Colt.
Gary finishes the car for racing.
The red car gets a Candy Green, Pearl White paint job and is finished as a show car.
The car wins Best Competition car in a Kansas City Auto Show.
Never raced, the car is sold less engine to Tom Kocanda and his partner Donn Patrick.
Tom makes the first drag passes with the Hemi Colt in 1978-1979.
The car runs 8.43 @ 161 MPH in 1979.
Last run by Tom Kocanda with 366 destroked Hemi, 2 runs before spun crank bearings.
Car sold to Bob Cope less engine and trans in 1982.
Bob runs a cross ram hemi and lenco thru 1984.
Bob sells the Colt to Doug Evert in 1984 less engine and trans.
Doug starts BB chebie and glide conversion, hood scoop is changed and car is repainted white with 4 color stripes.
Doug sells car in 1986 to 3 men in Oregon, who finish the chebie install.
Car is raced on and off thru 2017.
Run as a 10.0 car.
2017 car is sold less engine and trans to Chip Starr.
Chip Starr sells car to Sid Ferris.
Sid Ferris sells car to Stan Aiton (ME!) July 24 2019.
Come comes home to Texas and all the bad chebie demons are exorcised!

Last edited:
Got an email today that filled in the last history on my little Colt.
Here it is from day one.
The car is delivered to Don Hardy Race Cars in Floydada Texas.
A semi completed roller car is delivered to Gary Emig in Kansas City Kansas.
Gary installs a Milodon aluminum Hemi and Lenco trans in the Colt.
Gary finishes the car for racing.
The red car gets a Candy Green, Pearl White paint job and is finished as a show car.
The car wins Best Competition car in a Kansas City Auto Show.
Never raced, the car is sold less engine to Tom Kocanda and his partner Donn Patrick.
Tom makes the first drag passes with the Hemi Colt in 1978-1979.
The car runs 8.43 @ 161 MPH in 1979.
Last run by Tom Kocanda with 366 destroked Hemi, 2 runs before spun crank bearings.
Car sold to Bob Cope less engine and trans in 1982.
Bob runs a cross ram hemi and lenco thru 1984.
Bob sells the Colt to Doug Evert in 1984 less engine and trans.
Doug starts BB chebie and glide conversion, hood scoop is changed and car is repainted white with 4 color stripes.
Doug sells car in 1986 to Paul Fix, Jim Barbeau, and John Weitzel, who finish the chebie install.
Car is raced on and off thru 2017.
Run as a 10.0 car.
2017 car is sold less engine and trans to Chip Starr.
Chip Starr sells car to Sid Ferris.
Sid Ferris sells car to Stan Aiton (ME!) July 24 2019.
Come comes home to Texas and all the bad chebie demons are exorcised!

Damn. I forgot Doug Everett owned that car after Bob sold it. I also Fix and Barbeau had that car at the same time I was working on an injected 48 Austin. Also didn't know Starr had the car either. That thing was passed around Columbia County for sure.

Ive made some calls but got nowhere. My dad has dementia so getting phone numbers and names is getting harder to do.

Nice to see you've got some good history on the car. Wow.

Going to Floydada Texas this week to meet Mr. Hardy, this should be an honor. I have a lot of questions to ask him!
There is a woman is NC who has two pages of history on my car, that story should be here next week.
Building 2 833 transmissions this week for the Colt, a 2.66 and a 2.47.
Still living my dream.

Lol small world

Interesting always liked the colts.
I had a don hardy vega from east texas race cars , sold it to a guy in Bartlesville , hasn't been seen or heard of since.
I wish I still had it !

I have a picture of me standing in front of that car at Woodburn around 84...

That would match the time line, Bob Cope had it then. Fewer decals, White Hood Scoop, turned down inlet and PRO GAS on the window. 6303 number.

Interesting always liked the colts.
I had a don hardy vega from east texas race cars , sold it to a guy in Bartlesville , hasn't been seen or heard of since.
I wish I still had it !

famous bob, it's funny how they disappear, and then re-appear, sometimes! I go to Delores CO to Colorado Norton Works when I am up that way, this Vega has been sitting in this guys field for a few years, might be your old one!
IMG_6858.JPG

Just back from an 11 hour, 730 mile round trip to Floydada Texas. Spent almost 3 hours with Mr. Don Hardy yesterday. What a great time for me and my wife. We spoke with Don about my Colt and the days when he would build 20 cars a year. He was a real treasure of information. Don Hardy was Car Craft Chassis Builder of the year for 4 straight years. He showed us his current business, and his small private museum. I was blown away by the whole experience. Did I mention he was also a U.S. Army Vet? Just a simple, hardworking Texan who made a huge contribution to Drag Racing. The number of people who had cars built or had Don work on their cars would be too long to list. I am so glad I was able to meet him and spend just a little time with him and get to know the man. Thank you Don and his son Donald Hardy. Here are just a few of the pictures from the day. The wall of pictures are of magazine covers, National Dragsters and key cars he built. I hope you enjoy them. The last 2 pictures are where my Little Colt was reborn 46 years ago.
IMG_0347.JPG
IMG_0351.JPG
IMG_0353.JPG
IMG_0360.JPG
IMG_0364.JPG
IMG_0366.JPG

very cool! the shop looks a great place to wander thru and go oooh and aaahhh. is the Studebaker his personal project? there is an Arrow up in this neck of the woods with enlarged stock rear wheelwells...wonder who the original maker of that car was? thanks for pictures Stan! Bob

The original shop is not being used for race cars anymore, I just wanted a picture of the inside! They do self-contained engine motor packages for irrigation now, they are doing like 900 for the Government of Mexico! It's unbelievable the volume of work they turn out.
Don and his son want to do a Stude for Bonneville, 220ish is the record for the class they are building for.
The Arrow that Don and I are standing next to is the car he built for Billy Stepp, Bad *** Car!

-
Back