1972 Duster 340 3-speed # matching

-
Status
Not open for further replies.
Aside from the attempt at using the 340 hood decal with the incorrect dual scoops, which IMO makes both look worse, and the placement of the decal on the decklid, the first thing I noticed was the picture of the right side of the trunk. I cant see any ribs or seams where the extension is welded on, instead it looks like semi-smooth butter icing. Not a problem, but when they say "rust-free orginal" except for the work they list out as having been done, and that is not there, it makes me suspect there might be more. Again just my quick observation.

Grant

2401 made
great color
nice interior
rear end looks a little high
nice looking car.
see what it goes up to $$$$$

I agree. The trunk floor looks suspicious on the right side. The spare well also looks heavily pitted. The innerfender also looks pitted near the fender tag. The hood treatment looks ridiculous IMO. Deck lid decal should be on the tail light panel, door latches painted and freshly applied undercoat. Looks like a nice car. I would drive the hell out of it, but I would inspect it first. I got a feeling there was a few patch panels needed. Again not a bad thing, just something to look for.

I will never understand why guys will go to all lengths to make the exterior of a car look good, but when you look in the trunk, it's all rough and textured like it has been sprayed with truck bedliner. Maybe it's to hide the rust, maybe not, but it sure makes me suspicious about what's underneath all of that. The right hand side of the trunk floor to the quarter panel is smooth, kinda like it was bondoed up and trawled flat like a sidewalk. I would love to see before and after pics of the car. Where's the jack and mounts? Where's the spare tire? It looks to me that the trunk floor drop off panel has been replaced with just a flat piece of sheetmetal on the passenger's side.
Another item is the lack of windshield washer bottle, lines, and nozzles. Why people leave these off is totally beyond me unless it's a race car.
The hood scoops and 340 wedge callout look out of place to me, but that's just me. It's obviously incorrect for the year.
The 340 Duster decal on the trunk lid instead of the tail panel doesn't do much for me. The wing is the same way.
The car sits too high on the back end for the size of tires that are on it.
Overall, this car looks to be a good driver that needs some detailing to enjoy as is.
It definitely has a lot of good things going for it and is a cool car, don't get me wrong. Winning best of show would be a stretch, but they stated that! lol
Oh, and it's stated in the ad that it has no bondo on the car, that's just b.s. It might not have much, but it will have some where the panel replacement has been done at least.
It all depends on the price whether i would buy a car like this. I would definitely go look at the car in person if you were interested in buying it.
Just my 2 cents.
Tom.

they didn't put rally gauges in 72 right? just 70 and 71?

Only the 1970 and 1971 factory 340 Dusters came with the rallye gauge package, so indeed you are correct.

This car is being passed off as a original 340 car and it may be, but to see how it has been over-adorned, very un-factory like, take a look at the 1972 Duster 340 for sale by member dmoore.

Compare dmoore's 1972 to this car, and look at dmoore's car as the way they actually came from the factory in 1972 ...then think about what the restorers did to this car, and decide whether it not only appears factory correct, but whether the adornments improved the appearance at all.

My thoughts - the changes made by the restorers hurt this car...looks like it was restored by a GM person who knows very little about Mopars...

You are so right Dave,s new white 72 is exceptional, and one will prob never find another one as good . Dave is one of a handful that really knows what any car is supposed to look like , Factory original they way he likes em , and the way they should be .

They didn't take the blower motor out when they 'painted' the engine bay. :eek:ops:When you see little details like that it makes you wonder about the rest of the job.

I've been inside that place, my wife's relatives live near there. I think the guy buys and flips, I don't believe a whole lot of actual work goes on there. Not good or bad, just information. Lot of brand X stuff usually. Cool to see when you drive by it though, I always like to see what they have.

Well, scratch that thought! I'll take that off my watch list.
Back to the drawing board...looking for a stick car.
Also, I agree that dmoore's 72 duster is the best I've seen in a long time too!
Thanks everyone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
-
Back