1972 duster power brake booster.Cant find one

-

dart gt

Reaction score
i have a friend of mine with 1972 plymouth duster 340 auto consol with power drum brakes.WE CANT FIND A POWER BRAKE booster anywhere.Is there anything else that will work.Thank You David

HAHAHA I went through this already.....good luck!!!!!

I searched for months here in the states....NO autoparts stores could get one.

they stopped remanufacturing them.

the only choice really I found was from top name companies and they wanted around $400.00 for a booster, so that was out of the question.

I finally found one used from a member but it turned out to be junk ....so there went $100.00 down the drain.

then I found another one used from another member and it turned out to be junk....another $50.00 down the drain.

I then decided to stop screwing around and converted to manual brakes ( $15.00 for a manual master cylinder and push rod on ebay).

THEN a few months later I seen that summit racing started carrying replacements for the 73-75 model year ( same thing....all mounts the same and works the same.....only difference is its slightly larger in diameter).

so I will eventually probably get one of those.

BUT anyhow....your friend can use the 73 style and it will work just fine!

here is a link to it.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/AAZ-54-76101/

$110.00 plus shipping.....not to shabby

hope that helps

I see NAPA has the booster for '72 Valiant, maybe it's the same? I know I have had to look under '65 Valiant for parts for my '65 Barracuda.....

got mine from SSBC 300.00 with bracket and both rods from pedal inc shipping
their booster will not fit factory bracket.

or buy a used one and send off for rebuild about six weeks+-

duster dude,it says the booster is for disc brakes.Does it matter that he has drum brakes?

I don't "think" it matters.

only thing that should come into play for disc or drum would be your master cylinder and you proportioning valve.

and you shouldnt have to change anything since you arent converting to disc brakes or anything.

only thing you will need is the booster

Rockauto.com has a booster & master cylinder assembly for $137 with a $60 core charge. Does not specify discs or drums. I've never seen an A-Body with power drum brakes. Not that it doesn't exist.

only problem with all these autoparts store like o rileys or advance or autozone or rock auto and so on is......it shows that they have the item availbe but when you click to buy it and get to check out and get ready to pay for it....it will say the item is unavailable.

they stopped remanufacturing the 72 style booster for mass production.....you may luck out and find the 73 style but even than can prove to be tricky.

the 76 style is available at most places but its HUGE so I would not recommend getting that one as it really clutters up the engine bay.

if you can't find the 72 style ( odds are you won't and if you do....not for cheap) go for the 73 style... summit racing has them as I mentioned before and at a pretty good price.

Rockauto.com has a booster & master cylinder assembly for $137 with a $60 core charge. Does not specify discs or drums. I've never seen an A-Body with power drum brakes. Not that it doesn't exist.

P.S. that rockauto.com price you mentioned is not for a brake booster and master cylinder.

thats the price for the cost of service to send yours in and have it rebuilt.

"Return and Rebuild Service Only - By ordering this service you are agreeing to send your original part to the manufacturer to be rebuilt. Rebuild time is approximately 3-5 business days. You will be contacted with directions once the order is placed. For more information please contact Customer Service" for a total including a core charge for parts in yours that are junk and need changed is $197.79 ,not including shipping

so basically you send them your parts,they will keep what is good and refurbish it to look good again and then they will add new parts to replace your damaged parts and at the cost of $200.00

yes, doing it this way you can stick with the factory 72 style booster.....BUT if your not worried about this car being numbers matching and factory part correct.....I say save almost $100.00 and get the 73 style from summit.

just my .2 on it

-
Back