1972 prototype dodge truck?

-
AFAIK, you cannot fit brakes from a B body on a pickup spindle. The inner bearing is much larger on the pickup. Now big Chrysler brakes maybe. And what superbird is this that the brakes came from, the production one or the race-car. As far As I know the production superbird did not have anything super special as far as brakes go. Just disc brakes (Kelsey hayes 4 piston) OR 11" drum brakes!

hey everyone, ill try to get some pics up this weekend (i have been really busy). im glad most everyone is intrigued by this truck, because even if its not a factory "big red express", its still a pre-production and rare optioned truck with a cool old history. i love unique old cars and trucks, especially ones with a story behind them; and thats why i bought it

to address a few things: it looks like its doing a wheelie because the truck was lowered, then the previous owner started working on it and put stock coil springs back in. he rebuilt pretty much the whole front end.

the interior is actually in really good shape. it was just all taken apart to do some work on the floor pans (also previous owner). he started replacing the rockers too. despite what you may think, this truck is actually really solid for its age.

and it looks pretty dirty and dismantled, but it has been in storage for about 12 years now, so it will clean up pretty nice. (im not going out with a bucket and water right now lol). i also have tons of brand new parts in boxes that the previous owner bought to restore the truck. i basically have everything to put it all back together, and then some

Will be looking forward to this one. You should put up a thread in the restoration forum so we can follow it along.

somehow it looks worse than I was even imagining..... I bet your gonna find some nasty suprises under that paint.... But good luck, and keep us posted. Could be a nice truck if its done right.

Man, for a 1972 I think it looks pretty clean. I think just putting it back together without doing any major work will come out fine. Like you pointed out, stance will be key, along with wheel and tire choice. Good luck with whatever you decide to do.

I forgot you live in Michigan. That is solid for up there.

I'll admit I was wrong and that is the correct sheet metal. Good luck getting her back together

So is it a numbers matching 383 in a 72 truck? Not saying it can't but, they stopped 383 production in 71. I think it looks pretty solid. I can't wait to learn more on about your truck.

So is it a numbers matching 383 in a 72 truck? Not saying it can't but, they stopped 383 production in 71. I think it looks pretty solid. I can't wait to learn more on about your truck.

No, read the previous posts, whoever "fixed it up" last time swaped in the 383. Its a early production truck that someone customized in typical late 70s style. Cool truck though

So. just out of curiosity, did the front brakes turn out to be Kelsey Hayes?

Fine job, by the way.

ramenth: may be a dumb question, but how do i tell if the front brakes are kelsey hayes??

and thanks everyone! it did turn out pretty good. HOWEVER I am having some problems with it being lowered...does anyone know anything about the van lower control arm swap to lower the front end on these trucks? well i did it, and now im having problems with my tie rod angles and position...i dont know what to do. i dont know if there is something different on the front end of this truck that is causing the problem, because everyone else that did it seemed to have everything go good..

here is a pic of what im talking about

as you can see, they are angled up wayy too much, and are almost binding up...any help or suggestions on this issue would be GREATLY appreciated. I have yet to even drive the truck because of this issue

Turned out pretty nice! I never could understand why everyone wants to use van lowers, it is much simpler to trim the coil. Does the exact same thing for a lot less work.

thanks guys! there must be a solution to this problem somewhere, because may people have done this swap with success...does anyone have a picture of another truck for comparison possibly???

machine new taper holes and turn over tie rods, mount on the bottom? just a thought.

-
Back