1972 scamp won't start.... Unless

-

Shadetree

Reaction score
I have a 72 scamp that recently decided it didn't want to run. I turn the ignition and nothing happens...the gauges work but no starter. I crawled under and jiggled the auto transmission linkage got back in the car and it started. Now I have figured out I can move the column mounted gear lever from park to drive 1 several times and it starts. Can this linkage be adjusted or is it the neutral switch? Thanks for the help

sounds like the switch
could also be not going all the way into park. Shoud be an adjustment nut on the rod that goes from the column down to the linkage.

There is adjustment under there. Procedure is detailed in a factory service manual.

Before you start adjusting, Take a close look at the linkage starting at bottom of steering column. There are a few plastic bushings and other points of fault that would make it impossible to set in a trouble free position.
It's quite possible that replacing worn out / fell out bushings will correct it so no adjustment is needed.

I see the parts you are talking about, it looks like one of the bushings is missing there is a lot of slack in the movement.

Those bushings are reproduced. I'm not sure who carries them.

Just had the same issue with my friends Roadrunner on the weekend.
We cut the wire the runs from the safety switch up to the relay, connected it to ground instead of the switch. Easy fix for the problem but then it can be started in any gear.

my cuda was doing this, it ended up being the plug that plugs onto the neutral safety switch.... but, it sounds like your bushings may be the place to start!

-
Back