1973 360 upgrades

-
https://m.youtube.com/shorts/shcKcU3028k

Does this kickdown look right? Should the kickdown start moving as soon as u apply any kind of throttle pressure? Will try to get a better video tomorrow
it should start to move right away. Also, under wide open throttle the kickdown should be almost all the way pinned back. So you will push the throttle to the WOT position, then use the other hand to see how much more you can push the kickdown back. I like only about a 1/16th of an inch more action from the kickdown under WOT

it should start to move right away. Also, under wide open throttle the kickdown should be almost all the way pinned back. So you will push the throttle to the WOT position, then use the other hand to see how much more you can push the kickdown back. I like only about a 1/16th of an inch more action from the kickdown under WOT
It’s although the way back but it doesn’t start moving right away. It’s the stock setup. I tried adjusting it it’s down on the tranny lever on this setup but it’s the same outcome. Truck is not shifting right and I think it may be this???? Gonna try to do more adjustments tomorrow will have a helper

I watched your video on this. What little I have driven the truck the tranny is not shifting right I’m hoping it’s the kickdown

I watched your video on this. What little I have driven the truck the tranny is not shifting right I’m hoping it’s the kickdown
many times it is the kickdown. If so, it's usually a pretty easy fix.

Can u show us the end of the carb rod at the pivot? It should be straight up and down. But for sure u need to have the slack out if the top rod. Kim

Can u show us the end of the carb rod at the pivot? It should be straight up and down. But for sure u need to have the slack out if the top rod. Kim
I will get better pics and a video tomorrow something is up with this set up I believe

Does anyone see anything wrong with this kickdown?? It’s a one piece rod back to the lever and no matter how I adjust it on the kick down lever the lever does not go all the way back at wide open throttle and the lever doesn’t start moving to about 1/2-3/4 throttle

3FAF243D-3C9D-43A7-9F90-10059A0FA8CC.jpeg

FC9351FD-9ACD-41DC-908C-E2D681D8842F.jpeg

17519FFA-6412-4ADE-B673-09DD9569C76B.jpeg

A6F82EB8-6235-43AF-8722-38D102BD6F8B.jpeg

86152549-C3DC-445F-8F5D-FF86487DEFE9.jpeg

C6ADF321-F1D5-4F6A-B068-6188CDC05826.jpeg

8B5C3CA0-8078-45D8-B8C9-E84D9FECC9FE.jpeg

1948A129-9EDD-4872-856D-4D07F477E799.jpeg

CD7B4F68-8C01-4B7C-A890-B6C21FEEEAA1.jpeg

This is how it looks with spring that’s on there

027EA488-3F01-41F5-9C75-FD67BA64EF6E.jpeg

Last edited:
So if the little rod that looks a little like a backwards C is supposed to be straight up and down at rest when on slow idle. Then the slider bar will be against the pin or so it looks like that would be the case. But then ur saying u won’t have full kick down? Kim

I sorta bent the rod and adjusted the throttle cable some and it’s working. Tranny doesn’t seem to be shifting right though. There is a slight hesitation I did feel it kickdown though

Well it’s kicking down at wide open throttle. So I think tomorrow I will try to drive it some. And see about the brakes. I hope this transmission is ok!!!!!

No verify that the fluid is right up once u get it warmed up good. Kim
I will have to check the fluid in it also. I’m thinking about just going with a manual valve body in this. But wanna still be able to do burn outs etc…… don’t know how safe that would be with a manual valve body

Get a mvb with low band apply. U can get foreword or reverse manual. Or u can get a Trans Go dash 3 kit and install it yourself. Kim
I’m probably gonna have that done. I just wanna be able to do some burnouts occasionally on the street. Will see some strip use but not much. The tranny is a 727- truck is a 85. I wonder if this has a lockup converter?

No verify that the fluid is right up once u get it warmed up good. Kim
The tranny has a aftermarket deep pan on it. I just checked the fluid- warmed up and in neutral running. It’s low. Really low. It’s a stock dipstick should I just go ahead and add some fluid to this? I’m assuming the deep pan doesn’t effect the reading? So it’s low. I will try to get it up in the safe range and see if there is a difference in the way the tranny shifts

Well I added some fluid so that it’s almost full in neutral running and operating temperature. This tranny is still not shifting right. I think the kickdown is not right. And I can seem to get it adjusted. So I may just go with a manual valve body

Get a mvb with low band apply. U can get foreword or reverse manual. Or u can get a Trans Go dash 3 kit and install it yourself. Kim
Can these be installed with the tranny still in a place? And without a rebuild? What are the differences in these? Sorry for the questions
And a good shop or tranny person could probably do this?

Last edited:
Fitting a trans shift kit will not fix a worn out trans. They work great when the trans is in good cond.

-
Back