1973 360 upgrades

-
Haven't read 3 pages, but the best place for a Street Demon carb....is to leave in the box it comes in.
It is a cheap re-make of the TQ & important features are missing. Like a sec air valve dashpot to stop bogging. Get a 6000 series TQ & rebuild it.

it can be...
I was thinking about how much power I could get from a 318 by using factory parts, pistons would have to be aftermarket so that the pistons would be closer to the deck surface. Are the Dakota 360 exhaust manifolds a good flowing manifold? After reading some of your posts I really like how you have improved performance at all budget levels. If the rpm's are going to be mostly from off idle to 4,800 rpm's is a 4 barrel still needed or will a 600 cfm 2 barrel carburetor work? I don't mind going to a 4 barrel if that's the better way to go.

I may go ahead and do a cam swap and the heads also. Do everything at one time and be done.

I was thinking about how much power I could get from a 318 by using factory parts, pistons would have to be aftermarket so that the pistons would be closer to the deck surface. Are the Dakota 360 exhaust manifolds a good flowing manifold? After reading some of your posts I really like how you have improved performance at all budget levels. If the rpm's are going to be mostly from off idle to 4,800 rpm's is a 4 barrel still needed or will a 600 cfm 2 barrel carburetor work? I don't mind going to a 4 barrel if that's the better way to go.

Is there a factory distributor that's better than others, as far as advance curve goes? How can you improve the mopar ignition system?
I don't want to hijack his thread..... :)

that engine sounds healthy in the video !

5E502CD9-6CD8-4478-9087-B5F2FA84D2C2.jpeg

I have crs myself. I remember back in high school that a friend of mine put a power glide torque converter in his 67 tempest with a turbo 350, it's the poor man's stall converter. He rebuilt the q jet carburetor and deburred and smoothed the entire inside of the carburetor and it ran great.
Nice. I remember those ol’school tricks. Same deal here with converters for our stuff. It’s universal I think. My whole life I’ve been running 4spd manuals. I’m now working on my first two automatics. Learning about converters and the transmissions was a bit of a curve made easier with this forum & some books.

I may go ahead and do a cam swap and the heads also. Do everything at one time and be done.
This is where your going to feel the biggest change and bang for the buck when you do it all at once. Once you have the engine set up ready for the cam change, the head swap is (basically) on a few bolts to take out and then put back in. Heads are quickly done at this point. The longest (time wise) part of this is ether scrapping the gasket off the block or re torquing the head down.

I myself would skip the Magnum manifolds since there gain is not big over the stock parts. A noticeable gain is not what they would provide unless you thought out the build completely. Headers would be the way to go.

From a member here, who followed his suggestion and purchased Hedman headers because they fit. Thanks have a set of next name headers, a Summit knock off or reselling another brand, IDK, but it required the previous owner cutting the frame rail to install. Pictures below where you can see the drivers side frame cut and grinder on. Big time. Spend for the Hedman’s. See how much clearance they have over where the frame rail was backed up? It’s huge!

Off of the header I ran 2-1/2 exhaust pipe I cut & welded myself. Depending on exactly how your truck is set up, it can be easy to a bit of a PIA, but easy enough a novice can do it.

View attachment 1715950611 View attachment 1715950612 View attachment 1715950613
So the headman headers fit and they look like they should be a pretty easy install?

Just wondering if I should put a floor shifter in this at somepoint?

Just wondering if I should put a floor shifter in this at somepoint?
I would concentrate on getting the engine and transmission working like you want them first, then move on to other things.

I would concentrate on getting the engine and transmission working like you want them first, then move on to other things.
Motor will be done soon. Putting Magnum heads on it- a cam and a intake with a Thermoquad. Have someone who is going to help me. He is doing the heads port work etc….

Motor will be done soon. Putting Magnum heads on it- a cam and a intake with a Thermoquad. Have someone who is going to help me. He is doing the heads port work etc….
A TQ will need an adapter spacer for all intakes except the M1 single plane intake. You’ll probably find dinosaurs hen’s teeth first.

-
Back