1973 904 leaking from bellhousing inspection plate

-

Lasalle

Reaction score
Hello, 1973 Dart with 904 transmission is leaking ATF from the bellhousing inspection plate. There will be a few drops on the ground after it sits for a few days. Where is it coming from and how do I fix it? Thanks

Only one way. You already know. Converter seal. Front pump gasket, I don't know what all else.

It could be leaking from a few places, remove inspection cover to confirm it's coming from inside the bellhousing area, if it is you need to remove trans and you might as well rebuild it and replace all seals. you also can have a crack on the torque converter hub, need to inspect.

I took the inspection plate off. There is ATF on the bottom inside of the bellhousing.

Do you want to rebuild it yourself; you only need a few special tools and plenty of videos to walk you through it

So that is the consensus, That the transmission needs to come out? I need to get psyched up for that. I think I'll live with the leak for a while while I research what all is involved with removal and rebuilding.

As a long shot, there is a converter drain plug. Could that be leaking? To inspect that plug, do you have to keep hitting the starter until it comes in view in the inspection opening at the bottom of the bellhousing?

You need to absolutely verify it is indeed coming from INSIDE the housing from behind the convertor. The o ring that seals the dipstick tube can slowly leak fluid, then running down the front. After a few days, the convertor drains down, overfilling the pan a touch. The seals and orings above pan height don't always hold the fluid in. Especially if they're old.

I should have done this first but I looked at the factory service manual. There are some simple things to try before pulling the transmission.

Cracked converter hub, front pump seal or gasket. It's gotta come out.

There are two different rebuild books out there. One written by a member here, Tom Hand.

I have an old video another member emailed me. I can email it to you if you PM me your address.

Did my first rebuild about 4 years ago using a book and video only. Keep it clean as possible. Been beating on it since!!

IMG_20200506_182907.jpg

It was not overfilled. I checked it. It was actually a little low. I will check the converter drain plug next.

If you know anyone with a borescope, you could run the camera up behind the convertor and look at the seal area. See if the fluid trail goes straight down the front of the pump.

-
Back