1973 Dart Sport 340 (my way)

-

metallidart

member me?
Reaction score
Well, I finally decided to start a resto thread for my 73' Dart Sport 340 that I've had over a year and a half. I've already bought/sold so many things for it that I probably could have had it done by now if life wouldn't keep throwing me a curveball!

The lowdown, before the pics:
Bought it as a basket case, basically just the body. Title/Vin/body stampings are correct, some of the paint is original, some not. Came with a console/brackets, and seat reinforcements for buckets, but no seats. Fold down rear seat, but non-original lower. The fold down seat has almost all the parts for it, rear package tray is pretty nice, came with a decent fiberboard headliner. Rear door panels, some of the interior is useable.

Someone had cut some pieces off of it in some odd places, which I'm still trying to figure out the best way to fix, mostly in the cowl area. Not much rust, especially for this part of the country! Came with an entire front sub/inners/firewall/cowl/etc that is completely rust-free to use as parts. The drivers side inner fender has some rust damage from the battery tray, along with that side of the radiator support. Someone had removed the entire radiator support to replace it with the one on the extra stub, thankfully they kept the old one with the correct body stamping!! I'll be using the top rad support/pass side along with the drivers inner fender/rad support, topping that off with the Dillinger lower support.

I've also found a pair of buckets that need recovered, the correct seat tracks, a decent console/shifter, a pair of front door panels and a lot of the missing interior, decent dash pieces, good wiring harness for the dash, etc.

From what I can tell, it had a factory dual-snorkel (missing) and a black vinyl top, a half top...but it covered the rear half? I've never seen one like that. Came with non-original but rust free front fenders. Obviously, the stripes have to go. I have a nice grille, trim etc also. Been slowly stockpiling everything.

I just bought a house, and it has to go into storage soon, so I'm going to do as much as possible in the next few weeks, figured I'd let you guys see some of it.

The day it was delivered

DSCF0573.jpg

DSCF0570.jpg

Gives you a general idea of what I'm starting with, body wise. I started to get the radiator support pieces ready to install, I'll get those pics up asap!

Looks like a solid start there. I have a 73 Sport myself. Are you planning on restoring her or something more? I'll be watching either way.:coffee2:

Looks like a great start, should be awesome when it's done.
I'll be watching this one!

Looks like a solid start there. I have a 73 Sport myself. Are you planning on restoring her or something more? I'll be watching either way.:coffee2:

Thanks! I will be restoring the best that I can, unfortunately, its missing the build sheet and fender tag :banghead: So...I want to bring it back to close to the way it was from the factory, but with some upgrades. I can't wait to get some more pics on here, yesterday I started to install the tubular Dillinger rad support!

Just knowing some of you are going to watch it come together, makes me want to start busting my butt to get it done!! Thanks for the motivation!

And yes, gotta love those Dart Sports!

Until I get a chance to upload some more pics, here are some details---
--Bought a k-member from a 73' Duster 340 from a fellow FABO member, his build thread has a TON of pages to it. He welded it all solid, added lots of gussets and supports, and powdercoated it black. It is awesome!
--also bought his adjustable strut rods that he made, again, awesome pieces.
--newly remanned PS box from Steer and Gear, firmer than stock.
--LCA with support plates, poly bushings, and fully welded.
Next item on the front suspension list is a set of upper a-arms from Dillinger! Then Moog tie rods/etc. Already have the spindles/brackets/etc blasted and painted. New lower ball joints, and Idler arm.
I'll probably just use the best T-bars that I can afford...which may be the 891/892 that I have in the garage. Same with the sway bar, for now.

I plan on making my own subframe connectors, and possibly some other reinforcements to stiffen it up. I would like to reinforce the area around the torsion bar socket, mine is super clean, but I don't want it to break if I upgrade to big bars down the road. I have an idea on how to make it pretty much invisible...

Don't get in a hurry because we're watching. Take you're time. Some of us watch slower than others. I may not be fast, but damn I'm quick.:coffee2:

Don't get in a hurry because we're watching. Take you're time. Some of us watch slower than others. I may not be fast, but damn I'm quick.:coffee2:

Thunder...that advice sounds like my wife, LoL!:cheers:

I finished welding the end plate on the pass front subframe for the tubular rad support. I forgot to grab my pics, so I'll just post some pics of more of the stuff I have accumulated for it. I'm hoping to spend some time tonight/tomorrow working on it, supposed to be over 60 degrees!!

My plan with the car is to keep the original color, with a full black top, and a dual snorkel scoop. Painted sport mirrors, all the factory trim including wheel well moldings. I am going to stiffen the body with subframe connectors, torque boxes, Dillinger components, and anything else I can think of. I want a good, strong base to build on. The inside/outside/engine compartment/trunk/underbody/etc will all be body color. I think it looks really clean and its easier for me to see leaks, etc. For now it will have factory front/rear brakes. Tubular upper a-arms, reinforced lowers, stock sway bar, poly bushings. Firm feel box, and I'm not sure of the torsion bars yet.

I'm not decided on the wheels, but I really like the new Cragar Eliminator wheel. I was thinking about going 17", just for handling, etc.

I was googling a pic of the wheels, and a Demon pic by 72golddustermike came up, I really like the way it looks, I was going to go with the polished wheels. Here is the wheels:
500P-500-front.jpg

and here a link to 72golddustermike's pic
http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showpost.php?p=1969769129&postcount=382

Good choice on the rims. Should look good. Any idea what rubber you are going to run?:coffee2:

Hi all. Been in the hospital with my family the last 2 weeks, my grandfather went from bad to worse to hospice in a matter of a week, he just passed away yesterday. Couldn't bring myself to leave the hospital much, he was a really big part of my life. So, if I haven't answered many pm's or put much on here, that's why. Need to get out to the garage and let some sparks fly to get my mind back to where it needs to be.

Sorry to hear that. Prayers to you and your family. Take the time you need. Family first.:coffee2:

-
Back