1973 Dart Sport 340 Sunroof question????

-

HowardBishop

Reaction score
Help...I have a line on a 1973 Dodge Dart Sport. It is a factory 340, auto car, w/AC and a sunroof....fold down rear seat and it looks like a somewhat narrowed rear end(??). Anyone know the production on these 1973 Sunroof 340's? It is rough and needs a lot but straight and all there. Latest Mopar Muscle has a 1973 Duster featured and it says about 50 produced for 340 Dusters in 1973.

50 seems a bit low. I think we have at least 10 here on this site and have personally seen 7 others.

DSCN0826.jpg

DSCN0829.jpg

DSCN0827.jpg

lets see some pics sounds nice
Wow...that's quite a few ...maybe not so rare as I thought. The yellow one you posted is very nice. This one was light blue with dark blue interior. It looks like about $800-$1200 as a starting offer for the one I saw. Just a guess.

Attachments

• 1973 Dart Sport Benton 10-10 002.jpg
    133.8 KB · Views: 774
  • 1973 Dart Sport Benton 10-10 003.jpg
    106.3 KB · Views: 642
I also have a 1963 Dart, 2-door post, 6-stick, project but rust-free. $950
Also...1968 Dart GT, project, 6-auto, console white interior, no motor $1350
Also.1971 Dart Swinger, 318, auto, project...California cars (all) $1200
These cars are in Bishop, California. Pics available on all of them.

Does it have the 340 in it?

I know I couldn't sell mine for 1200-1500 with the original 340.

If it has the 340, the engine alone is worth about 1/2 of the initial price.

the engine alone is worth about 1/2 of the initial price.

Thats the sad thing about MOST (not all) A bodies in general, they are worth a lot more in pieces than as complete cars

Help...I have a line on a 1973 Dodge Dart Sport. It is a factory 340, auto car, w/AC and a sunroof....fold down rear seat and it looks like a somewhat narrowed rear end(??). Anyone know the production on these 1973 Sunroof 340's? It is rough and needs a lot but straight and all there. Latest Mopar Muscle has a 1973 Duster featured and it says about 50 produced for 340 Dusters in 1973.

That's my old Duster in Mopar Muscle magazine. Production numbers for 340 sunroof cars were pretty low but you won't find actual numbers. I had a list of owners of about 16 Duster 340 and 16 Dart Sport 340 sunroof cars.

Attachments

• Duster pic by lake.jpg
    103.2 KB · Views: 596
Thats the sad thing about MOST (not all) A bodies in general, they are worth a lot more in pieces than as complete cars

That's the sad fact of it.
I have a '73 340 auto Dart Sport auto in about the same shape as the O.P. and i can't sell it for $800. It doesn't have the engine or trans in it, it is rolling with rallyes.
A lot of people want parts off of it, i will not part it out, it's a 340 car!
I'll keep it until someone appreciates it for what it is.
I don't think the price is out of line.
Good luck and i hope it works out for you.

I'd love to have any factory-"built" sunroof Dart Sport / Duster , regardless of its motor !

Most interesting sunroof'ed "A" Body I've seen : 1973 Scamp . 318 / 727 / 8.25" with 3.21 S.G. ; factory am-fm ; factory rear window defroster ; towing package ( henceforth the 727 / 3.21's ); bucket / console interior .

It was at the Ecology Auto Salvage in Santa Fe Springs ( Ca. ) back in the mid-90's .
Back then , Ecology refused to sell complete cars ( I cry when I think of the rare cars I saw there ) , so my friend and I parted it out ...
... including cutting its roof off , to replace the virtually non-existent rusted-out roof on his otherwise clean '72 Dart Swinger Special ( 318 / three speed / 8.75 with 2.94's ).

That was the only hardtop "A" I've ever seen with a factory-installed ( ASC / American Sunroof , actually ) sunroof . Same goes for the factory-installed buckets / console .

If only that same car was in the salvage yard today : those mothers would sell it complete ...

Many .....Many thanks for the great feedback and stories on A-bodies. Very helpful on basic info. This is my first time using this site. I have 5 A-Bodies and would like all of them to be in the hands of real MOPAR guys and gals. I live in a F_ _D and Ch_ _ Y small town so only three of us appreciate Mopar. Again...thanks!!!!

Interesting note in this month's Mopar Muscle....regarding narrowed rearends from the factory. The Blue Duster article says that 340 Dusters and Darts came from the factory with Narrowed rear axles. First time I have ever heard that. It says a couple inches.....which means some pretty beefy back tires are possible. From your experience....What is the suggested max tire size for good grip and great stance????

man, you guys need to move to michigan here in the MOTOR CITY these cars are getting more expensive every day I used to find A bodys for 500 bucks those days are gone

That's the sad fact of it.
I have a '73 340 auto Dart Sport auto in about the same shape as the O.P. and i can't sell it for $800. It doesn't have the engine or trans in it, it is rolling with rallyes.
A lot of people want parts off of it, i will not part it out, it's a 340 car!
I'll keep it until someone appreciates it for what it is.
I don't think the price is out of line.
Good luck and i hope it works out for you.

"Narrowed" factory rear ends ??

Remember, in 67 when they widened the engine bay on the A-body by moving the frame rails out, that pushed the wheels out- widened the track.
They only did the front, not the back. That is why 67 and newer look like they are dog-tracking from behind.

Hey LXGuy I moved from Michigan in 1969...I totally understand. However...I have 5 A-bodies which are straight and pretty much rust free. All for sale and good solid project cars. I've often thought that one car hauler (split 6 ways by MOPAR guys in Michigan) could score many ...perhaps 8 A-bodies from California. The price of the cars and the hauler would be worth the price of bodywork and bondo on rusted rollers from Michigan.
Oh yes....don't forget to vote!

Crazy Dave....so....what size tires have you tried on A-bodies with the "narrowed rear"?? Thanks for the input on reasons for differences.

I am running 245/60/14s on mine.

If you reach up into the rear wheelwell about 2 inches, you will find the outer wheel house bumps in towards the tire a bit. Very easy to bottom out on a big bump.

-
Back