1973 Dart Sport air code?

-

DA4AD

Reaction score
Help,
I am looking at buying a 1973 dart sport.
What series of numbers/letters should I look for on the fender tag?
I have feeling it is not a factory air car.
Thanks

look at passenger side firewall. It will have both a spot for heater hoses and the a/c lines like mine.
Look just under the fender brace on the left

Non air and air cars both had the tubes closest to the wiper motor

Attachments

• 1974 Dart Swinger 9-21-12 10.jpg
    98 KB · Views: 416
Thanks, but I'm looking for the fender tag identification to confirm it is indeed a factory air car.

Ok I think it H51 or 52
but that cant be faked easily without cutting it out of another car so very unlikely its not an air car. Do you have a pic of the under hood?

* Rob got ya its H51

I dont see H51 on the fender tag. What if it was dealer installed?

Attachments

• 143-4344_IMG.JPG
    145.4 KB · Views: 335
  • 143-4345_IMG.JPG
    64 KB · Views: 324
Your heater and air conditioning controls in the dash should be an indication , they are different , under dash metal defuzzer with three vents would be another one , extrsa holes in the firewall would be another one for your air cond hoses.

Attachments

• Steering wheel 1 (640x480).jpg
    119 KB · Views: 296
That's the problem! i would like to know if this is legit!
I think it is a non air car with the dash panel changed.

Attachments

• IMG_0004.jpg
    95.9 KB · Views: 545
Was there a hole behind where the coil is mounted? If so its an air car if not that it is a non air car
A/C controls will work in a non air car with just a heater

This is kind of strange. IIRC, the non-A/C cars under dash box had two doors, both operated by cables. On the A/C cars, only the temp lever connected to a cable that exposed the heater core to the air flow. The function lever worked a vacuum harmonica to open and close doors in the box. The only thing on the dash panel that differs between in the little plate where the control levers are showing. All of the other differences are either under the dash or under the hood.

Seeing how the heater hose connections and fan motor are blocked off, my vote is that a PO put something up there to fill in the space. I don't see the R-12 line connections going through the firewall and I don't see the hole for the two vacuum lines (to power the harmonica and to control the hot water valve on the passenger inner fender. The two studs that hold the A/C vents onto the car are no-shows as is the deeper air box the supplies the A/C vents. Furthermore, the A/C code, H51 should appear on the third line from the bottom. The third row from the bottom, reading from left to right should have 1) roof paint code/vinyl roof, 2) Order type, 3) Radiator width, 4) A/C code [H51], etc.

If I were to purchase this car to use on the street, I'd take a close look under the dash to see the heater box. If I can see the wiper linkage on the passenger side, I'd know there is not even a heater in the car. Having made that determination, I'd expect to get a price concession from the seller reflecting what it would cost me to replace the heater and all of the related parts.

Good luck

All air cars also had tinted window glass all the way around, and I think they had the small "airtemp by chrysler" decal on one of the rear quarter windows, but this sticker may have disappeared by the early 70's - my 72 Dart air car didn't have it. Clear windows is a dead giveaway the car never had air.

And D55DAVE is right , forgot about that, all air cars have tinted glass, very few non air cars got tint unless it was ordered.

I was thinking of the tinted glass myself, I had a 1975 Dart Sport many years ago and I installed all tinted glass from a A/C car.

this is what i found digging around on the interweb.

It would not be a 100% guarantee it was an A/C car with tinded windows.
if you look at the attached paperwork you will notice option G21.
- Clear Glass.

Either way, even without H51 and/or G21 on the fender tag it doesn't really bother me as I have a car with factory air I can use as a donor. it is a six cylinder though.

thx everyone.

Attachments

• standard equipment 3.jpg
    146.7 KB · Views: 228
All air cars also had tinted window glass all the way around, and I think they had the small "airtemp by chrysler" decal on one of the rear quarter windows, but this sticker may have disappeared by the early 70's - my 72 Dart air car didn't have it. Clear windows is a dead giveaway the car never had air.

And D55DAVE is right , forgot about that, all air cars have tinted glass, very few non air cars got tint unless it was ordered.

You didn't have to have tinted glass it could be ordered with clear

Well, the car definitely had air at one point in its life.
Question is do I reinstall the air or return it to factory with only a heater core?
I have parts cars so both options are available to me.

Any feedback/comments would be appreciated.

Attachments

• 2013 - Reno-Dart Sport - Heater Core.jpg
    102.4 KB · Views: 229
Just talked to one of the old owners of the car.
he cut the holes but never put the air in!
looks like I'll just go back to stock.

yep.... youthful indiscretion.. couldn't make up my mind if I wanted a driver or a racer.... should have left it a driver with a mild motor... but it was DAMN fast.....

-
Back