1973 Dodge 318 manifold

-

thedartness

Reaction score
Hello all! First time member here with possibly a very simple question but I am still stuck regardless. I have a 1973 Dodge dart with a 318 in it. It has the standard carter 2 barrel carb on it and I want to switch it out for a Holley 4 barrel and the accompanying 4 barrel intake manifold. However, my question is since this is an original EGR car do I need to to find a 4 barrel manifold that is EGR compatible or can I use a non EGR manifold since I don't care about maintaining the EGR. Does anyone have any recommendations on which manifold to get and a good simple 4 barrel carb to pair with it? All responses are much appreciated!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Depends on whether you are required to get the car smog checked, and if you do, "Good luck" getting an aftermarket setup certified. Functionally, no. Don't need

David Freiburger says that the Roadkill show uses pre 75 cars because they are smog exempt in CA.

Yea so I wont need to get the car smogged. I was just concerned as to if the EGR apparatus itself posed a limitation on which manifold would physically bolt onto the car. In other words, I would just put a non-EGR manifold on as long as it fits properly since these are the easiest to come by from racing shops.

As long as the intake manifold is for a “LA” small block except the first two years, (64/65) & any MoPar “W” manifold, it’ll bolt on.

A Edelbrock Performer 4 bbl should be inexpensive and perform really well on the engine. It can handle decent street cams and make good power. The carb pad has duel bolt patterns or any carb.

You’ll have to fiddle with the linkage to work properly or switch to a cable operated system like a Lokar set up. There very easy to install.

-
Back