1973 duster fit 20"s??

-
They'll fit...and so will the following other "bolt-ons" that you might be interested in...

Curb Feelers...
Dingle-Berries on the perimeter of the head liner...
Chromed Folgers Coffee Cans used as exhaust tips...
8" Chromed Chain-Link Steering Wheel...
Fake Fur on the Package Tray (Speaker Shelf)...
NOPI decals on the windshield...
EVERYTHING in the J.C. Whitney Catalog...

And remember to bolt all 42 of the sub woofers on the rear bumper. That way they'll help to propel the car forward...

Do the humane thing; sell the car.

please don't homey out the car........ 17's look good enough on an old car. plus with the bigger wheels you will wear out your brakes faster and make more work for your tranny.

nomather what, it willl look like crap considering the size of the stock drums and or diskbrakes...

Will they fit sure, Will anyone here find it tastefull ? I doubt it.

But in the end its your car and if you want dubs on it there now reasons to not run them.

good point Adam, The question was:
"anybody know if its possible to put 20s on a 73 duster?"

I imagine they would fit with the proper back spacing.
It would stand to reason that if the stock wheels were 14 inches with like 80 series tires then 20's should fit with like 20 series tires.

for example
if your stock tire/rim was 175/80/14 you would have a diameter of 25.0 inches

if you had 195/30/20 your diameter would be 24.6

so in short YES.. just watch the back spacing.. good luck. it's your car. build it how YOU want it..

[ good luck. it's your car. build it how YOU want it..[/QUOTE]

I agree

Hey I always liked those chain linked steering wheels and while we're on the subject, where can I get a set of furry dice to hang off my mirror. I'm serious.

As the guys say it's your car to do as you please but the tire and wheel choice is going to take some serious measuring.

Terry

If you fit them I would be very interested in seeing the result.... I want to fit 14 inches rotors for brakes in the future and that would mean at least 18'' wheels. Really decent braking demands huge rotors and large calipers... I know I know ceramic carbon rotors are smaller and way better than anything else.. but they are so f@cking expensive I can only dream about them.

anything will fit, just depends on how much work you want to do
Dont quote me but im sure you could run a 20x8.5 with 245/35x20 without modification. just get out the measureing tape and start measuring

I do not mind the big rim and extra big meat look. For me it is a matter of striking a good balance between the rim size and the amount of rubber from rim to floor.
All though, I think 20 is to much, it isn't my car and you will do what tickles your fancy and nothing short should be done.

Sure I'm putting 21.5" on the back of my Duster. OH WAIT, I was talking about tire width. My bad... LOL
Seriously though the problem I keep seeing when people put 20's on there car is it gets out of proportion with the tire width, you'll have a 20" rim and a 10" tire and it looks like a wagon wheel, unless they have it mini tubbed and can get some decent width meat under it. If the wheel wells are stock I think the 17-18" rims with a little more sidewall look alot more in proportion, but that's just me. Like others have posted it's your car build it how you want.

how about donking a duster? lol! poor oldsmoblie
hip_hop_cars_cheetos_tricked_out_ri.jpg

What is it about the '68-'72 Cutlass that makes some people slap on those danged rims?

2008 cutlass 003.jpg

put the Duster on a 4x4 frame, and then put the tires from
Bigfoot on it.

bigfoot44.jpg

You guys don't seem to understand. Now that the factory is putting 20 inch wheels on some cars, these young ones believe thats the best way to go.

Just like some still believe what the factory did 40 years ago on their car, is still the best way to go.

But when the factory installs 20 inch wheels, they open up the wheel wells and drop the hubs so the car sits no higher and can take a wide tire.

To do the job right it be a ton of work. Unless you are super rich and can have a custom shop do the job, I go with 16 or maybe 17 inch wheels. You should be able to drive the car at speed to.

well i just got my first DONK in yesterday. a 73 impala. it had 24" rims on it. it also had louis viton interior! it pings because it took about 1/3 throttle just to get it to start moving. i told him that any work i do on it will come with NO warranty. the front had a custom large spindle and the rear had a bracket welded to the rear axle to support the rear spring.

I actually did have 20's on my 74 duster. 20X8.5 NS racing wheels.....hated it! You feel every single bump and I had to put spacers to stop the front wheels from rubbing and folding the panel everytime i turned! Did mention you can feel every bump??? I took them off but i still have sum pics if you wanna get an idea on what they look like.

Anyone know of a program where ya can upload a picture of your car, and then kind of photoshop different sized wheels and tires on it ?? I'm sure there's one out there, and that would be a cool tool ... My SRT8 Charger has 20's on it her and she looks great, but I don't think they'd look too good on the Duster.

I know not many here like "big" wheels...........18"s on an abody works. Gotta have the brakes/stance/attitude to go with it.............this (not mine) car look good with 18's?????
These are 18x12 335/30 and 18x8.5 245/40's

IMG_4952.jpg

-
Back