1973 Duster won't start (no fire)

-

MoparGuy1970

Reaction score
Hey everyone I've been working on my Duster for almost a month now & its still not running. On December 26th I drove it to the gas station and about half way there the volt meter jumped to reading max amp's. After I got to the gas station and shut the car off I opened the hood and it looks like the positive wire was rubbing on the metal part of the power steering hose and ran the amp's up after exposing the wire. I was only half a mile from my house but as soon as I took off the car died on me, and hasn't started since. I have replaced the battery since the insides were welded to itself and there was no acid, replaced coil, the coil pickup in the distributor, voltage regulator, the wires and plubs were already new, almost everything charging and starting is new but still won't start everything looks good to go even wires. I will post pictures in a little bit, any help would be greatly appreciated.

While car was running, the power was coming from the ALT. When you turned it off, no more power, none from the Batt. look for a blown fusible link or toasted wiring.

From your descripition, it sounds like you might have "a mess" for wiring. How about some good clear photos of the engine bay area, the bulkhead connector, and starter relay?

Does ANYTHING work? Headlights? Does the engine crank with the starter?

from your descripition, it sounds like you might have "a mess" for wiring. How about some good clear photos of the engine bay area, the bulkhead connector, and starter relay?

Does anything work? Headlights? Does the engine crank with the starter?
x2^^^^

Forgot to say that with a test light the coil is lighting up but nothing to the distributor. And yes the car does crank over like its suppose to and getting gas.

All lights work the car does everything it should but run.

Attachments

• IMG_20160125_123804357.jpg
    47.6 KB · Views: 142
  • IMG_20160125_123733133.jpg
    44 KB · Views: 146
I would try changing the electronic ignition box the black one on your fender wall with an orange and make sure its GROUNDED metal to metal.. those can fry or die. I'd also take 1 spark plug out and see if you could get an arch to jump. And then lastly check inside the distributor to make sure nothing exploded in there.

Forgot to say that with a test light the coil is lighting up but nothing to the distributor. And yes the car does crank over like its suppose to and getting gas.

OK. You need to figure if it's

compression

ignition

or fuel

Regardless, the above three is what all gasoline engines come down to.

COMPRESSION. Don't discount. The cam drive (chain) can slip unexpectedly if worn, causing a massive shift in timing. Does it sound like it's cranking "normally?"

IGNITION: Big question, is "do you?" have spark? To test, you need some tools, or two people

You need to understand that you set up DIFFERENT conditions if you A.......crank by twisting the key, or B........crank by bypassing the starter relay.

If you are by yourself, either "rig" a spark gap you can see, from the coil tower to ground, and reach in and twist the key, or

Take a jumper lead, hook to the coil POS terminal and jumper the start relay. use a grounded wire, etc, to hold near the coil tower to look for a spark.

If no............

Get to work

Remove ECU. Scrape around mounting and remount tight, prefer with star lock washers

Wiggle / work all connectors, at the ECU, at the ballast, and the distributor pickup in / out. Inspect them for corrosion, and "feel" for tightness.

Turn the key to "run." Remove the distributor connector. Take the harness end of that connector and tap the bare end to ground. One "snap" spark should be produced each time.

If not, make some voltage checks. Measure coil+ voltage and coil NEG voltage with key "on." Post them here. Coil + should be much less than battery, perhaps 5-8V. Coil NEG should be quite low, perhaps 2V. If coil NEG is high, close to battery the ECU is not conducting, and is either bad or NOT GROUNDED or not powered

Test the ballast. Remove all connectors, and check continuity "the long ways" there should be two readings, one above 1 ohm, perhaps 1 1/2 ohm, the other BELOW an ohm. "Wiggle" the resistor terminals.

Inspect the insides of the distributor. Look for damage / wear in the cap / rotor, and for rust, debri, and damage to the reluctor and pickup.

Hook your multimeter to the two distributor terminals in the connector. Crank the engine, with your meter set on low AC volts. The distributor should generate about 1Volt AC. That's AC, and not DC.

Check resistance across the distributor connector, you should get somewhere between 150-400 ohms. Check continuity from either terminal to distributor ground. Should be infinity.

-
Back